Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #13681
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
I was curious, how well does a bone stock '99 DR350SE do on the highway at 65mph? I'm 170lbs. And what mods will make it handle highway speeds much easier?
My '98 with 1.3K miles is mostly stock except for tires. I have removed non essential stuff, safety interlock switches and buddy pegs. Added hand guards, wind screen, and rear rack. I'm 160 lbs. At 65MPH GPS it turns an effortless ~6k RPMs, or a little less, with 16T frt sprocket about 5500. I don't like spinning the motor,( seen too many blown motors) but this one feels quite comfortable. 65MPH is about as fast as like to go anyway, and it'll do it easily.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #13682
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
My '98 with 1.3K miles is mostly stock except for tires. I have removed non essential stuff, safety interlock switches and buddy pegs. Added hand guards, wind screen, and rear rack. I'm 160 lbs. At 65MPH GPS it turns an effortless ~6k RPMs, or a little less, with 16T frt sprocket about 5500. I don't like spinning the motor,( seen too many blown motors) but this one feels quite comfortable. 65MPH is about as fast as like to go anyway, and it'll do it easily.
If I added full exhaust and a pumper carb, with the 16T front sprocket do you think it'd drop the RPM quite a bit? I am trying to buy a dual sport, have been for the passed two weeks but keep either missing out on them, OR people stop answering their phones. I am trying to buy a 650, because I want to be able to hit the highway at 75 all day long, but the guy won't answer his phone. So my second choice is a 1999 DR350SE with 4,700 miles that is completely stock. I would love to 440cc it, with the pumper carb, cam, and exhaust, but that's obviously more $$$ and a lot of work (as far as the 440 big bore kit, and cams are concerned). I'd like to be able to buy this bike, and spend about $1,000 making it more highway friendly, and the only way I know to do that is more power. Anyone got suggestions where to throw $1,000 into a stock '99 DR350SE to make it better on the way. Ideally I'd like to do 75mph all day long, if that's humanly possible.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #13683
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
If I added full exhaust and a pumper carb, with the 16T front sprocket do you think it'd drop the RPM quite a bit? I am trying to buy a dual sport, have been for the passed two weeks but keep either missing out on them, OR people stop answering their phones. I am trying to buy a 650, because I want to be able to hit the highway at 75 all day long, but the guy won't answer his phone. So my second choice is a 1999 DR350SE with 4,700 miles that is completely stock. I would love to 440cc it, with the pumper carb, cam, and exhaust, but that's obviously more $$$ and a lot of work (as far as the 440 big bore kit, and cams are concerned). I'd like to be able to buy this bike, and spend about $1,000 making it more highway friendly, and the only way I know to do that is more power. Anyone got suggestions where to throw $1,000 into a stock '99 DR350SE to make it better on the way. Ideally I'd like to do 75mph all day long, if that's humanly possible.
With some sprocket changing you will do 75 a bit better. Problem is that the bike is light so youll be knocked around by the wind. At stock 75 is good for passing or getting away from the texti g idiot but its rough feeli.g. 65 feels good and will cruise all day at that.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #13684
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
I love my DR350, but throwing $1,000 into a DR350 to make it better on the highway is a total waste of $$$ imo. The DR650 is much better on the road, and will be much more comfortable on the highway, but if you really need to be able to "hit the highway at 75 all day long" you should probably be looking at one of the big dual sports like a BMW GS.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #13685
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by earling View Post
I am trying to figure out once and for all what a 1993 DR250SE (electric start) weighs. I had a 1999 DR350SE for a few years and loved a lot of things about it (suspension, ergonomics, handling) but the CV carb was a performance killer off-road, and the weight was obscene, probably aroung 320 all gassed up with my Clark tank. ( I couldn't see plopping down $420 for a pumper carb just to get the throttle response back to approx. where it should have been in the first place, when I'd still have the weight to deal with )

So... my mailman got a DR250, and I thought, "jeez, that thing must be a dog," until I looked at the specs a little. It's apparently 26 lbs lighter than the 350 and the later models (90 and up, I think) apparently put out 29hp, which is 1hp shy of what the 350 produces. So it's looking like, on paper, the 250 is actually a more capable trail bike, possibly even a little quicker.

Does anybody know, first hand, the weight diff. between the 350SE and the 250SE? There's a 250 for sale near here and I'm damn tempted, but not if it's anywhere near as heavy as my old 350. The specs on the internet are few and far between, but generally they say 260 curb weight for the 250, 286 for the 350. But that doesn't indicate whether it's an S, or an SE, or the offroad dr250. ... etc etc.

thanks if anybody knows anything .. . .
I built my bike (see sig line) with a stock 98 DR350 kicker and a stock 91 DR250S (non-E). I know these are not the bikes you are looking for, but if it helps, I weighed both bikes and they weighed 258 and 291 lbs respectively with empty gas tanks. The DR250S with the CV carb was an absolute dog. It certainly did not produce 29 hp, I would guess it was closer to 20. There is a webpage out there that claims 29 hp for that engine, but it also states the bike has a 5 spd tranny when it actually has 6, so specs on that page are wrong.

Parts between the two engines are interchangeable (trannies, crank, jug, heads, etc) so you aren't saving any weight with the smaller engine. In fact everything on those two bikes are interchangeable: frame, swingarm, suspension, etc. They are virtually the same bike with a different bore and stroke.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #13686
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
I was curious, how well does a bone stock '99 DR350SE do on the highway at 65mph?
Are you talking about handling? Set the sag right and, for a small bike, it's just fine. Airvent rode his DR350SE from Connecticut to Colorado and back this summer and last. The only issue is if you have a head wind there's a good chance you won't make it to 65.

Quote:
I'm 170lbs. And what mods will make it handle highway speeds much easier?
If you haven't cut out a big hole in the top of your airbox yet, do it. It will noticeably increase the power, but you will have to rejet the carb. Next I'd recommend a big bore kit. Normally I stay away from them, but the DR offers a lot of room to grow and still remain reliable. Finally you might want to look at a better carb. If you have the CV it's easy enough to go to the pumper, but you will loose significant fuel economy with the pumper.

With each of these mods you'll want to play with your gearing to get it comfortable at higher speeds without revving the engine too much.

I have a 440 kit, open airbox, pumper carb, I weigh 190 lbs, and live at 9000 ft elevation and I don't have an issue hitting 65 on my bike.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #13687
Unsung
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
With some sprocket changing you will do 75 a bit better. Problem is that the bike is light so youll be knocked around by the wind. At stock 75 is good for passing or getting away from the texti g idiot but its rough feeli.g. 65 feels good and will cruise all day at that.
I plan to ride the bike across country. As for wind, I don't mind it so much. I've lived a life of discomfort, I like the challenge I guess. I guess if stock does 65 just fine, a bit more power and sprocket swap should make it do it even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I love my DR350, but throwing $1,000 into a DR350 to make it better on the highway is a total waste of $$$ imo. The DR650 is much better on the road, and will be much more comfortable on the highway, but if you really need to be able to "hit the highway at 75 all day long" you should probably be looking at one of the big dual sports like a BMW GS.
Well, making it better on the highway by giving it more power will still make it more fun offroad as well. Most 650s are too big for my style of riding. I plan to go cross country but I pack very light, so I don't need the carrying capacity of the bigger bike. I'm sure I can make a DR350 take the highway comfortably before I could knock that excessive height and weight off those bigger bikes.

On a side note, I can buy a heavily modified 2005 DRZ400SM in perfect condition for about $650 more than the budget I have for this DR350SE (buying it and sticking $1,000 in it). If I'm talked out of this DR350SE, I may have to just shell out for it, and drive the 200 miles to get it. .I need a bike pronto.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #13688
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Take a lesson from me. If it is flat, DO NOT use a regular charger to charge it up. I ruined a 4 week old Shorai by doing this. Very expensive lesson.
I have one of the Shorai charges and it does great except when the bike is left flat for an extended time frame , sometimes a couple of days will bring it back to life but if that fails I have found putting it on a regular charger for 20 mins or so will bring them back to life enough for the dedicated charger to take over and top it up .Like MadChap said don't use the regular charger all the time but if it won't take a charge then a short bust doesn't seem to hurt them.

If you have a bike like I do that drains batteries over a week or so then disconnect the Shoria for that time , they hold a charge on their own very well , I have Sherco 510 with one that I never disconnect but my DR450 has something doing a slow drain , I believe the switch itself , and I have found it dead flat on a number of occasions , I will put the Shorai charger on and both lights blink away for a couple of days sometimes and then just the green light will be flashing indicating that it is charging .Anymore than a couple of days I will give it a bust on the regular charger .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #13689
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
If I'm talked out of this DR350SE
If you doubt the DR350's capabilities then watch this .

07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #13690
Unsung
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
If you doubt the DR350's capabilities then watch this .
Haha. That's a great video. I like the random tanks on fire and people bursting out of the floor at the beginning. I don't doubt the capabilities of the bike, I just want to be able to ride long distances at a good speed and not worry about killing it dead. I really like these bikes, and I know people do adventure riding on them, as I plan to do, I just don't know at what speeds they maintain, or what modifications they've done.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #13691
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
I was curious, how well does a bone stock '99 DR350SE do on the highway at 65mph? I'm 170lbs. And what mods will make it handle highway speeds much easier?
My 1990 DR350s is setup with 16T front, and a 41t Rear, It runs 70 all day with no problems right around 6k RPM? i have had no problems. mines bone stock with all the jazz still on it. That with the clarke 4 gallon tank on it too. The CV carb gets me some extra miles at no cost. I have no complaints about speeds at all now. Still does great in the woods too.

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #13692
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Haha. That's a great video. I like the random tanks on fire and people bursting out of the floor at the beginning. I don't doubt the capabilities of the bike, I just want to be able to ride long distances at a good speed and not worry about killing it dead. I really like these bikes, and I know people do adventure riding on them, as I plan to do, I just don't know at what speeds they maintain, or what modifications they've done.
Another data point...

I have a 1993 DR350 and I've used it with both a pumper carb (as original) and now a CV carb. For pavement work and regular off-pavement duties I stick with a 15/41 sprocket set (I switch to 14/41 when the off-pavement work gets a bit tougher). In the past two years, I've ridden it over 12,000 miles; including 3 big multi-day trips. These trips start off and end with me ridding pavement to meet up with my ridding buddies at some distant location from where I live (or coming back home). Examples include: Clayton, NM - 800 miles over two days; Green River, UT - 500 miles in one day; Mexican Hat, UT - 320 miles one afternoon; Jackpot, NV - 730 miles in one day, Ely, NV - 525 miles in one day, etc. These rides are always in the summer months and that means 110 degrees plus here in the Phoenix area (and Las Vegas, too). I maintain speeds of 60 - 65 MPH all day long going to these locations. I'm 6'3", 220 pounds, and carrying an original Giant Loop with canoe sack strapped on top, a Clarke tank, and plenty of water in my camelbak.

I generally keep the speed around 65 MPH without any trouble. Yes, I can wick it up from there a bit if I need to, but it feels like I'm pushing the engine too hard. There are some long uphill pulls in parts of Nevada where I ride (maybe 20 miles of continuous pulling up hill). I'll end up a lot closer to 60 MPH or maybe a bit less running up those at the higher Nevada elevation.

I don't necessarily thrill at the thought of these long pavement days with the DR350 (my Moto Guzzis are so much better at that work), but, the DR350 gets the job done. These really are tough machines.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #13693
cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Shorai Battery

If you have a bike like I do that drains batteries over a week or so then disconnect the Shoria for that time , they hold a charge on their own very well”

Fortunately this bike does not have a drain when sitting. One issue with the original battery was that the PO had installed a battery from a non-e start DR350. On its best day it had trouble getting the bike started.

Take a lesson from me. If it is flat, DO NOT use a regular charger to charge it up. I ruined a 4 week old Shorai by doing this. Very expensive lesson.”

Thanks for the heads up on dealing with one that goes totally flat, hopefully I won’t run into this situation. I will definitely take the battery out for the winter.
cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #13694
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Ideally I'd like to do 75mph all day long, if that's humanly possible.
why are you looking for a thumper, get a multi or a twin for the highway.
even if you score the dr650 of your dreams, it will suck for anything longer than 10 minutes at 75mph.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #13695
Unsung
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
why are you looking for a thumper, get a multi or a twin for the highway.
even if you score the dr650 of your dreams, it will suck for anything longer than 10 minutes at 75mph.
Because I need a lightweight offroad bike, not a street bike. If I needed a street bike I wouldn't have sold my Harley a couple of weeks ago. I offroad, very fast. And I've ridden a CR500R on the street doing 70+ consistently for many miles, and it's light weight and grand vibration never bothered me. I'm not looking for comfort, I'm looking for light weight, and highway speeds. I'm not looking for a 100% on road bike, if that's what you're thinking. The bike will spend most of it's time pounded offroad around here, but I want to make trips across country on it this winter, and possible every other month when it warms up.