User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #13696
RoostMonger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thought I'd finally stop lurking

I've been watching this thread for a bit and figured I'd finally come out of the shadows. Picked up my little 350 about a year and a half ago and it's been a good bike. It's a a 95 e-start with a lectron carb, an acerbis tank and its been race tech'd at both ends. I've added some renthal fat bars, cycras and eBay pegs to make it a little more comfy but other than that its pretty stock.

Got a few hours free this Friday so I thought I'd take a little mini adventure. Froze my butt off on the highway, found some mud, some snow, some more mud, more freezing on the highway and then a coffee break. Wrapped up the loop with a local road that has been seasonally closed to anything bigger than a goon buggy and was free to roost, slide and explore my way home. All in all a good ride and right at 110 miles with all the sidetracks taken.

Checked out the low water levels at a local resevoir

Stopped on a bridge to watch the trout swim

Rode up a snowy frozen trail

Mostly enjoyed stuff like this for the afternoon

Ride on inmates

RoostMonger screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:58 PM Reason: Sucking at posting photos
RoostMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #13697
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,440
Now thats a ride!?

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #13698
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
Because I need a lightweight offroad bike, not a street bike. If I needed a street bike I wouldn't have sold my Harley a couple of weeks ago. I offroad, very fast. And I've ridden a CR500R on the street doing 70+ consistently for many miles, and it's light weight and grand vibration never bothered me. I'm not looking for comfort, I'm looking for light weight, and highway speeds. I'm not looking for a 100% on road bike, if that's what you're thinking. The bike will spend most of it's time pounded offroad around here, but I want to make trips across country on it this winter, and possible every other month when it warms up.
i hated my xr650L offroad. Very Fast Flying Pig. Emphasize the Pig part.

You might be expecting too much from one bike....but another inmate rode his xr650L 35,000 miles one year, so maybe not.

Of course there are a group of people like you..they are called KLR owners. They say the only survivors of the armagedden will be cockroaches and KLR's...
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #13699
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMonger View Post
Ride on inmates
Fantastic photos! We just had snow stay down for a day and temps around 32F so I doubt I'll get out much til spring. My 95 is almost identical to yours.....other than my tank has yellowed way more!
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #13700
tjoseph
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,743
Success?

I think I've found a '99 DR350 SE, after looking for a while. If all works out I'll be picking it up this Sunday. They seem to come available in groups; I actually found two for sale in the MD/PA area, after looking for a few months. Now what to do with that '09 XT250.
tjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #13701
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Had a few mishaps riding this weekend. On my way to work (70 miles) I got a flat. Luckily it was right on the outskirts of town so I limped it to a gas station, aired it up enough to get to work and be completely flat by the time I got in the parking lot.

When I got off work @ 2am I didn't feel like pulling the tube so I poured in a liberal amount of slime and aired it up really high (I had to ride about 50 miles to get to the ranch). By the time I got to my destination it was flat again.

The next day I tried a little more slime since it seemed to hold up better. The tire would hold air until you rode it, then it was immediately flat. So I stopped being lazy and stripped the tube out. Turns out the rim lock has an incredibly sharp edge and wore a hole in the tube. Patched it, put it back together and threw the rim lock away. They have caused me more problems than good.

Then on my return trip back to Las cruces last night, I pulled in the garage just before 4 am, freezing my ass off. As I was pulling the bike in my clutch cable snapped. I got launched like a rag doll towards the back wall of the garage. Luckily I stopped the bike before I rode it into the house. Ordering new clutch and throttle cables now.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 10:19 AM Reason: speeling
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #13702
earling
moto-xer turned trailie

Oddometer: 18
" I weighed both bikes and they weighed 258 and 291 lbs respectively with empty gas tanks. The DR250S with the CV carb was an absolute dog. It certainly did not produce 29 hp, I would guess it was closer to 20. There is a webpage out there that claims 29 hp for that engine, but it also states the bike has a 5 spd tranny when it actually has 6, so specs on that page are wrong."

Thanks!! That's what I was after. I'm pretty suspect of ALL those motorcycle spec pages, about half the time there's some highly dubious number somewhere or other, no matter what bike. I found that 29HP spec for the 250 in a bunch of places, actually, and the same weight over and over (260 dry) which sounded like BS since as I suspected and you confirmed, the 250 and 350 are virtually identical, and I'm almost positive that that 260 lbs. would be for a non-E start (the E-start has to add a least 15 lbs). So, I can only imagine the 350S (no rocket) with even LESS punch and the same vacuum operated carb.... and just as porky.

The ad claims the 250 is a '93 and that it's E-start, so who knows, Craigslist isn't exactly a model for accuracy in advertising

Darn, thought I was onto an undiscovered gem there
earling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #13703
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
The main weight difference that Pablo stated was primarily due to the street model vs dirt model bikes.

The 350 was a dirt and the 250 was a street.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #13704
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by waz View Post
Well, the owner would not budge on the the $2500 price for his 1999 DR350 w/ 1500 miles, or I would have bought it already.

So I kept looking on CL and found a 2001 DR-Z400E w/ 4500 miles for sale for $2000.

I've gone to look at & ride the 350, but not the 400 yet. The 350 was in great shape and ran good, but since the 13 yea-old original tires are still on the bike, I'd have to get a set of tires for it, and the valves have never been checked. I think the price is about $500 too high, but the owner is firm on the price.

I don't know what kind of shape the 400 is in, because I'm going to look at it the day after Thanksgiving, but the owner says it's excellent, and the water pump was replaced this past summer. It has Perrelli 70/30 street tires on it, but since I'm planning on doing some serious dirt riding, I would want to put some knobbies on it.

I'm thinking the DR might be a better pick because it's air-cooled and lighter, but the DR-Z is 2 years newer and at least $500 cheaper (I'm hoping the owner will sell it for $1700, but I'll offer $1500 when I ride it Friday).

This being a 350 thread, I'm sure you're biased; but which one would you choose and why?.Would you spend the extra $500 bucks for the 350? (I'm gonna put this on the DR-Z400 thread and get their opinions too)

Thanks for your input.
I think "out of the box" the DRZ would be a better bike. However at $2K I am sure that it is beat down. The "E" version means electric start/dirt bike. It is not the street version. So depending on where you live, some place will not allow you to register a dirt bike for street use.

I agree that the price of the 350 is a little high. But I am also certain that the seller will find a buyer. The late model 350s are getting harder and harder to find. It also depends on how long you are willing to wait.

Tires. I would not put that in the negative points. In fact I would put that in the postive group. Means he barely rode it. I have bought a stack of tires for my DR since owning it.

I paid $1800 for my DR which I think was 300 more than what I could have. But the bike was clean and I had been searching for a month. I wanted the bike NOW, already. Friend bought his 95SE a year later for $1200, and it was not as clean.

Since buying the DR I have spent about $5K in motorcycle stuff, including the cost of the bike. Would not have done my suspension conversion if I had the 99/98 suspension.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #13705
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
I was curious, how well does a bone stock '99 DR350SE do on the highway at 65mph?
They do just fine. Check out my ride reports. Ive run my DR for thousands of miles at 70mph. Still on the original top end. 36k miles
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #13706
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
They do just fine. Check out my ride reports. Ive run my DR for thousands of miles at 70mph. Still on the original top end. 36k miles
I'm stealing that positioning for my 12v outlet. Much nicer than ziptied to the bar like I have it now.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #13707
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 613
Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 96 DR350S they can post or direct me too?
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #13708
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Dig the charger location.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #13709
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 96 DR350S they can post or direct me too?
Search This Thread (wiring diagram)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=7490
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #13710
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Digital Clock too!! i like it! lol i was gonna do the same but never got around to it. ALSO, i see im not the only one that has the "Brake hose over the speedo/odomter! lol Annoying yes?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote