Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #13711
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Had a few mishaps riding this weekend. On my way to work (70 miles) I got a flat. Luckily it was right on the outskirts of town so I limped it to a gas station, aired it up enough to get to work and be completely flat by the time I got in the parking lot.

When I got off work @ 2am I didn't feel like pulling the tube so I poured in a liberal amount of slime and aired it up really high (I had to ride about 50 miles to get to the ranch). By the time I got to my destination it was flat again.

The next day I tried a little more slime since it seemed to hold up better. The tire would hold air until you rode it, then it was immediately flat. So I stopped being lazy and stripped the tube out. Turns out the rim lock has an incredibly sharp edge and wore a hole in the tube. Patched it, put it back together and threw the rim lock away. They have caused me more problems than good.

Then on my return trip back to Las cruces last night, I pulled in the garage just before 4 am, freezing my ass off. As I was pulling the bike in my clutch cable snapped. I got launched like a rag doll towards the back wall of the garage. Luckily I stopped the bike before I rode it into the house. Ordering new clutch and throttle cables now.
lol, poor guy! holy crap!! i had a problem SIMILAR, but not quite the same. The Gas pedal on the sideXside got stuck yesterday i was about 8ft from the garage door and my car..lol Luckily i smashed the brakes and hti the key! Found that a chunk of MUD got lodged under there and held it! Things like this make us stop and think.."WTF did i do wrong today!?!"

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #13712
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
looking for mama bear

Hello,

Well my dr650 farkeled is great for tar and dirt roads but too heavy for me to pick up after falling. TO BIG!!!
My xt225 and tw200s are great for trails, I CAN pick them up and they are LOW, but to slow on freeways.TO LITTLE!!!!
Thinking of dr350 electric. Maybe lowering a little, tank, racks, bags, ect. Maybe just RIGHT?????????????
What do you think?

Thanks,

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #13713
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
I think you'll like it.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #13714
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by waz View Post
Well, the owner would not budge on the the $2500 price for his 1999 DR350 w/ 1500 miles, or I would have bought it already.

So I kept looking on CL and found a 2001 DR-Z400E w/ 4500 miles for sale for $2000.
That 99 DR350 with 1500 miles is worth every penny of the $2500 asking price. It's got the best of everything that was ever offered on these bikes, and it's barely broken in.

Personally, I'd go with a DR650 over a DRZ400....but only if DR350's were never made.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #13715
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
I use the "brown" wire that is found under the headlight cowl to power my heated grips. Works great. It is keyed on so there is no fear in draining the battery when one forgets to turn off their grips when you shut off the bike. The melting wire smell is most likey due to the heating element and the grips themselves or the low setting ceramic resistance block melting something else.

I made a bracket to mount my 12volt cig lighter socket. Jsut something I cut out of a thin sheet of steel. Works great.

For the cig lighter I ran a line all the way back to the battery with an inline fuse.
This winter I am hoping to redo my dash with some relays and switches.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #13716
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Digital Clock too!! i like it! lol i was gonna do the same but never got around to it. ALSO, i see im not the only one that has the "Brake hose over the speedo/odomter! lol Annoying yes?
I now have a SS brake line installed which is thinner and easier to see around. Bonus perk of a nicer front brake feel.

Note the broken Speedo and unusually high adjusted master cylinder from an earlier get off

Airvent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #13717
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

While am at it, here's the video of said get off. I don't normally crash, honestly.

Warning, a swear word or two.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #13718
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Airvent, that wouldn't be the fall river/Freetown state forest would it? My backyard... Looks identical to one of the hills out back..
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #13719
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc5735 View Post
Airvent, that wouldn't be the fall river/Freetown state forest would it? My backyard... Looks identical to one of the hills out back..
Nope. This hill climb is in Connecticut.

I call it the hill of broken dreams. These were taken a couple years back.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #13720
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
A few shots from some light motocross the other day.

Have you tried out the Pachaug Conn State Forest legal Enduro route?

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/statep...haugenduro.pdf

Pachaug regular riders hang out here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368922

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626295

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #13721
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Have you tried out the Pachaug Conn State Forest legal Enduro route?

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/statep...haugenduro.pdf

Pachaug regular riders hang out here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368922

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626295

I've done a few pachaug camp and rides with Akarob. Great riding area! Unfortunately its on the other side of the state, so its a bit far for a day ride.

Anyone have a spare speedometer hanging around they'd like to part with?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #13722
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
...I'd like to be able to buy this bike, and spend about $1,000 making it more highway friendly, and the only way I know to do that is more power. Anyone got suggestions where to throw $1,000 into a stock '99 DR350SE to make it better on the way. Ideally I'd like to do 75mph all day long, if that's humanly possible?
Hey Fellas,

Been awhile since I've visited this thread. Yeah, I know this topic about the 350 being hi-way capable comes up quite often, and more than once I've been fascinated at the responses of how other people's 350s have what seems like a hard time on the highway? I have a '99 DR350SE with Jessie's stock exhaust mod, a jet kit, cut air box and 16T front sprocket and my DR will run 70mph no-problem-o.

I guess I'm just surprised at all the responses about how 'difficult' it is to do highway speeds on these things? Maybe I'm not interpreting things the correct way? And my bike will do 70mph easily with 70lbs of weight behind me. Is it supremely comfortable?...No. Is it the best way to do highway miles?...No.

But its not difficult either.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #13723
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
DR350 part

In my continuing effort to bring back a 1994 DR350 I need a little help. Going over the bike doing some cleaning I ran across a part I can't id. Just in front of the countershaft and above the gear lever is a piece with (6) little nibs and cable looking piece with a brass end about the size of a bb. I went over the parts fiche and never did find it. Looks like it should have a cover over it, with this bike it has no cover. Thanks in advance for help.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #13724
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,022
Sounds like the neutral switch.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #13725
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
In my continuing effort to bring back a 1994 DR350 I need a little help. Going over the bike doing some cleaning I ran across a part I can't id. Just in front of the countershaft and above the gear lever is a piece with (6) little nibs and cable looking piece with a brass end about the size of a bb. I went over the parts fiche and never did find it. Looks like it should have a cover over it, with this bike it has no cover. Thanks in advance for help.
Neutral sending unit. If they originally had a cover, none of the ones I have seen still have it.