Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #13861
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
Nice ammo boxes. I have a pair of boxes that I want to install on my DR, but haven't figured out how I want to mount them yet. I will likely end up having a buddy help me fab up something custom. So many projects, so little time (and money).
Thats what I ended up doing.
here is the thread if you need some idea on where to start.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=824069&page=4
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #13862
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 613
Anyone have a CDI unit they want to sell? Or where to find a reasonably price one? I have a 96 DR350SE, but I believe any 94-99 SE model will work.
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #13863
ctjohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
No need to do one fork at a time. As long as the front end is supported (which it must be to remove the front wheel, etc), then you can do them both at the same time.

No need to worry about reinstalling them in the same position. The tubes are round and straight and the lowers can rotate around them.

This is a good time to change the fork oil (and the seals if they are leaking).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Thanks Greg. Install was easy and the new boots look great.
ctjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #13864
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDeadCenter View Post
Quick question about the auto decomp on a '94 se. Is there supposed to be a lever sticking out of the valve cover? I thought the auto decomp models didn't have anything there. Mine does but doesn't have a cabel or bracket. Am I missing something here? Did someone put an older head or motor into this bike?

TDC
I don't think the E-start engine has a decomp cable and lever. The 94+ dirt models have the same auto-decompression cam and have a decomp lever, even though you don't really need to use it.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #13865
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Thats what I ended up doing.
here is the thread if you need some idea on where to start.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=824069&page=4

Awesome, thanks. Checking out your build right now.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #13866
TopDeadCenter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I don't think the E-start engine has a decomp cable and lever. The 94+ dirt models have the same auto-decompression cam and have a decomp lever, even though you don't really need to use it.
That is what I was thinking. The guy I bought it from is supposed to get me a box of parts for the bike including a skid plate and a sprocket cover. I will see if there is a lever in there.

The code list doesn't differentiate between engine codes just frame VIN. At least the frame VIN matches the year and my title. That's a plus.

TDC

GS850GLX
DR350SE
TopDeadCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #13867
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDeadCenter View Post
The guy I bought it from is supposed to get me a box of parts for the bike including a skid plate and a sprocket cover. I will see if there is a lever in there.
If you end up needing a skid plate, let me know. I've got a couple I'm selling cheap:

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/f...arts_dr350.htm

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #13868
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
Anyone have a CDI unit they want to sell? Or where to find a reasonably price one? I have a 96 DR350SE, but I believe any 94-99 SE model will work.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Dang I did not know that CDI's were that expensive. I jsut keep my eye out on ebay. Someone will come by with a part out and sell all teh parts for 20 bucks each.

A DR250 will kind of work. According to Pablo, it will run the bike. Has more aggressive timing, spark advance, rev limiter (not sure exactly what all those mean). Says his bike will ping at lower elevations with the DR350 CDI.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #13869
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
For those of you who question the value of a late modle low mileage DR350. This biek was mentioned a few days ago. And like I predicted the bids have already reached $2K (well $1999.99 to be exact) with 4 days left.

Who wants to wager a beer on the final sale price. I am predicting $2400.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item3f1fcb1654

MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #13870
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Dang I did not know that CDI's were that expensive. I jsut keep my eye out on ebay. Someone will come by with a part out and sell all teh parts for 20 bucks each.

A DR250 will kind of work. According to Pablo, it will run the bike. Has more aggressive timing, spark advance, rev limiter (not sure exactly what all those mean). Says his bike will ping at lower elevations with the DR350 CDI.
Be careful swapping CDIs... some won't swap. My buddies 93 DR350 dirt model didn't fit my 95 street model.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #13871
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
For those of you who question the value of a late modle low mileage DR350. This biek was mentioned a few days ago. And like I predicted the bids have already reached $2K (well $1999.99 to be exact) with 4 days left.

Hello,

I'm in.
The 2 people with 5 and 7 buys seem to be bidding against each other, way to soon for that, great for seller.
A Corona says neither will get it and over $2400.00. Hope the Armorall doesn't fade by then.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #13872
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:

Not gonna bet, but I'll tell of my DR buying experience. I have that exact bike. A '99DR350SE. I bought mine from a figherfighter in Des Moines in the fall of 2011. The bike was completely stock, without a scratch, and just a tick over 5800 miles. I paid $2000 without batting an eye. Was it a steal? No. But Zooky isn't making them anymore, and I didn't have to drive 10 hours to get it.

While that bike may go for $2400, I wouldn't pay that much. I check www.bikefinds.com almost daily, and I have spied several low-mileage '99s for sale at or below $2000.

Here's what my $2000 got me; the day I picked it up:

And @ about 11,000 ft. on a mountain in Colorado this past June:

And I just bought a nice 2000 DR650 with 10k miles for $1500, so for me, anything over $2000 for any DR is too much. But that's just me?

VooDooDaddy screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 11:35 PM
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #13873
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Be careful swapping CDIs... some won't swap. My buddies 93 DR350 dirt model didn't fit my 95 street model.
Yep, there are definitely differences between the years and models. Make sure the one you are buying has precisely the same number and color of wires as the one you have (I don't think comparing numbers printed on the CDI - under the rubber mount - is sufficient).

When I wanted a spare CDI for my DR350, I just kept looking on eBay til I found one. I don't hear of them going out very often (neither coils nor voltage regulators nor stators, either). But I have all of those bits, just in case.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #13874
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

I'm in.
The 2 people with 5 and 7 buys seem to be bidding against each other, way to soon for that, great for seller.
A Corona says neither will get it and over $2400.00. Hope the Armorall doesn't fade by then.

Heirhead
That bike looks to be in good shape, but there are a couple things that just don't seem right. Why would someone go to the trouble of armouralin the piss out of it, but not get the engine very clean? That chain looks like it needs to go. I wonder how many winters that has been sitting outside?

Not a bad example, but that's a lot to pay for an old bike you've only seen in pics. I picked up my 99SE for $.10 a mile with 14,000 miles on it and it was in great unmolested shape.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #13875
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,018
Regarding the used parts hunt:

My Regular / Rectifier had gone bad, charging the battery at 39.5 volts! I kept riding the bike on single-track (Elec. Start, lights long-gone) with the R/R disconnected from the battery, then charging the battery for a couple hours when I got home. I had been doing this routine since I got the bike last May. Last week I finally found a Regulator / Rectifier on eBay for $20 shipped. You just have to keep searching... sooner or later your parts will turn up.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote