Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #13936
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldUKBikerGuy View Post
The bike starts and runs both brilliantly and quietly, but virtually every time I turn it off, I hear a loud noise (like a metallic 'clank') just as the engine stops.
It sounds to me like something spring-loaded unloading or disengaging, perhaps e/starter-related?
It doesn't seem to bother the bike at all, but I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue.
Welcome to DR-land! Sorry can't help - the effect you are talking about is not familiar to me. How loud is loud?

mark
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #13937
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
The newer wheels use larger bearings, you can swap in the smaller bearings and use them on your 93. The rear wheel should fit from any year.

If you have a street model DR, the dirt model suspension is a good upgrade, especially 94 and newer due to upgrading to cartridge forks. 98/99 street models got the cartridge forks and adjustable rear shock. Lots of other options for the front if you change out triple clamps.

I have heard that the E-start models (94+ street models) have a larger stator, but don't know much about it.
97 and newer dirt, got the fancy forks.

Jsut from the number of windings the Street model is ~%60 greater than the dirt. The manual states that a SE puts of 125watts at 5k rpm. No spec is listed for the dirt. No off the shelf upgraded stator is available. People mention a Ricky stator (company name) that does rewinds. But the guy has died and his wife runs his buisness now. Not the same as Ricks Stators from Ebay.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12924794
page 11 of the distech's build

As far as front wheels go. It is much harder to find one of the late modle big axle front wheels.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #13938
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bike starts and runs both brilliantly and quietly, but virtually every time I turn it off, I hear a loud noise (like a metallic 'clank') just as the engine stops.
It sounds to me like something spring-loaded unloading or disengaging, perhaps e/starter-related?
It doesn't seem to bother the bike at all, but I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue.

Over to you guys......?
Happens to mine and every other DR350 I have heard.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #13939
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post
The stock plug on the '99 DR-350SE is a CR 9EK. I run Iridium plugs in all the other bikes, any issues using an Iridium CR 9EIA-9 ? To my surprise the Iridium was much cheaper than the stock plug.

The proper DR350 spark plug is a dual strap jobbie like this

Not sure if the iridium ones are. I'd stick to the dual strap ones.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #13940
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
UK Newbie's mystery noise.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Happens to mine and every other DR350 I have heard.
Thanks for that, MrPulldown; it's very reassuring to know I'm not the only one then!
Interesting that Markk900 apparently hasn't heard it though?

He asks 'how loud?', and I would say it's a bit like stalling a bike in gear.

I didn't want to be paranoid about nothing, but also not overlook something that might be serious.

Maybe some other readers could just confirm that it's 'normal', then I can ignore it from now on.

Thanks for your help so far, and also for the welcome to the forum; much appreciated!
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #13941
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Thanks for that, MrPulldown; it's very reassuring to know I'm not the only one then!
Interesting that Markk900 apparently hasn't heard it though?

He asks 'how loud?', and I would say it's a bit like stalling a bike in gear.

I didn't want to be paranoid about nothing, but also not overlook something that might be serious.

Maybe some other readers could just confirm that it's 'normal', then I can ignore it from now on.

Thanks for your help so far, and also for the welcome to the forum; much appreciated!
My "98SE does it. Got it recently with ~800 miles on it ...now has ~ 2K miles. Does it every time. Like you said, sounds like a centrifugal starter gear clutch unwinding. A little strange, but you get used to it.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #13942
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,804
Same here. Your riding buddies will hear it and go WTF ? Just tell them it is the powerband unwinding
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #13943
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
I think it's the counter balance coming to a halt , happens to mine to and it used to scare the crap out of me but many years of riding it and I now take no notice .
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #13944
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
The '95 SE I just picked up makes the same noise. Does the same kinda thing when the starter's turning over. My '93 S never did it though
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #13945
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:

They all do that. I would assume only SE models though. Sounds like the starter thingamajig.

Posting this video again, because you hear this noise twice. Once when I stall going down, and another my buddy kills his DR to comment on my sweet front flip. 3 sec, and 9 sec mark. Warning PG13 language.

Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #13946
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
I figured it was the starter clutch
Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #13947
Bulleteer
Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer: 337
I recall reading somewhere that the noise was the automatic compression release engaging as the engine comes to a stop.

Anyway, my 99SE does it, too.
Bulleteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #13948
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleteer View Post
I recall reading somewhere that the noise was the automatic compression release engaging as the engine comes to a stop.

Anyway, my 99SE does it, too.
Interesting, my 1993 doesn't make that sound, has manual compression release. I'll have to listen more closely in the future :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #13949
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Interesting, my 1993 doesn't make that sound, has manual compression release. I'll have to listen more closely in the future :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender

Me too - or maybe I should be worried? (kidding - I'll listen next time but I can't recall hearing anything unusual in the 12+ years I've been riding my 95SE)
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #13950
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Me too - or maybe I should be worried? (kidding - I'll listen next time but I can't recall hearing anything unusual in the 12+ years I've been riding my 95SE)
Thanks for all the input, guys; clearly it's a common thing with DRs, even if not everyone hears it.
I had thought maybe this was because it was only on the SEs, but perhaps not, if Mark doesn't hear it on his SE?

Particular thanks to Airvent and his buddy for the video, as that captures the noise perfectly for anyone not familiar with it.

(At least I don't have to faceplant when I hear mine......)
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote