ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #14281
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Alright, put the new plug in. Bike ran great for a few minutes with only slight sputtering.

I decided to take a look at the air/fuel mixture screw to see if possibly it was moved or needed adjustment. I turned it one full turn counterclockwise and the bike began running worse. I then set it back to where it was originally then turned it in one full turn and that was the most it would go in. The bike's behavior was the same: sputtering and popping out of the tailpipe.

I decided to check the new plug, it looked like it was on its way to getting fouled.

I then pulled the carb off and saw that there was fuel in the intake manifold.

The float valve is sealing fine. I can't even blow air into the tube with the float raised.

I then bent the tab on the float just a little to lower the level of fuel in the bowl and put the bike back together.

It is back to running like pure shit. I am ready to unload a full magazine into it and forget about this POS Suzuki.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #14282
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Alright, put the new plug in. Bike ran great for a few minutes with only slight sputtering.

I decided to take a look at the air/fuel mixture screw to see if possibly it was moved or needed adjustment. I turned it one full turn counterclockwise and the bike began running worse. I then set it back to where it was originally then turned it in one full turn and that was the most it would go in. The bike's behavior was the same: sputtering and popping out of the tailpipe.

I decided to check the new plug, it looked like it was on its way to getting fouled.

I then pulled the carb off and saw that there was fuel in the intake manifold.

The float valve is sealing fine. I can't even blow air into the tube with the float raised.

I then bent the tab on the float just a little to lower the level of fuel in the bowl and put the bike back together.

It is back to running like pure shit. I am ready to unload a full magazine into it and forget about this POS Suzuki.
Try checking both idle jets again, air and fuel and their respective passages. Also maybe some one has a spare cdi you can try.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #14283
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: My Mad Scientist Laboratory
Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Also maybe some one has a spare cdi you can try.
He has an internal fuel leak...


Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

I then pulled the carb off and saw that there was fuel in the intake manifold.
__________________
IBA # 33113
Alaska
Blue Ridge Parkway & Outer Banks
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #14284
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
He has an internal fuel leak...
For the life of me I cannot figure out where the fuel is coming from. The float valve is sealing 100%...

I got so pissed with it I ended up giving it full throttle for a minute to see if the motor would blow and I could be done with this pile of junk. There was a black cloud of unburnt fuel coming out of the tail pipe.

I just took the carb off again and smoke came out of the intake manifold.

Everything in the carb is in place and tight.

The float seems to be at the right level... is there any way fuel could be coming through the pumper jet and into the intake???
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #14285
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: My Mad Scientist Laboratory
Oddometer: 5,178
EDIT - Whups, missed it. You just said you have a pumper. I had an idea, but it doesn't apply to your carb. Sorry about that.

Seriously though... it's something small, probably rubber, allowing fuel to leak through to where it ought not be...

Needle & seat, seat o-ring, pilot screw o-ring, accelerator pump seals & check valve, choke (enrichment circuit) plunger and / or seals.

Make sure your jets aren't loose. I've heard of jets loosening up, raising hell with the mixture.
__________________
IBA # 33113
Alaska
Blue Ridge Parkway & Outer Banks
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:26 PM
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #14286
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,823
the pumper piston just squirts fuel from the bowl, I guess if the pumper parts were missing it possibly suck fuel through that circuit, i doubt the parts are missing though.

I think its more likely you have an obstruction in your air filter, is that a possiblilty?
Or your choke is vibrating closed, I had one do that, and it was the exact same symptoms.

edit-just read back a couple of pages to trace your findings so far.

have you done a compression check?






Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
For the life of me I cannot figure out where the fuel is coming from. The float valve is sealing 100%...

I got so pissed with it I ended up giving it full throttle for a minute to see if the motor would blow and I could be done with this pile of junk. There was a black cloud of unburnt fuel coming out of the tail pipe.

I just took the carb off again and smoke came out of the intake manifold.

Everything in the carb is in place and tight.

The float seems to be at the right level... is there any way fuel could be coming through the pumper jet and into the intake???
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #14287
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
the pumper piston just squirts fuel from the bowl, I guess if the pumper parts were missing it possibly suck fuel through that circuit, i doubt the parts are missing though.

I think its more likely you have an obstruction in your air filter, is that a possiblilty?
Or your choke is vibrating closed, I had one do that, and it was the exact same symptoms.

edit-just read back a couple of pages to trace your findings so far.

have you done a compression check?
All of the parts are there for the pumper assembly... I just thoroughly cleaned this carb a few months ago and it was running like a top.

How would compression affect it running rich?

What do you mean by choke vibrating closed? It has the same behavior with the choke open or closed.

These problems started right after I put on the Acerbis tank... maybe the extra fuel is putting more pressure into the line and its leaking somewhere into the intake???

I have the carb totally disassembled now sitting it a bath of citric acid. I'll let it soak over night and put it back together tomorrow to see what happens. I guess my next step is to order a new TM33...

I don't understand how this bike can run like a raped ape for a few months then on one 2 hour ride fall on its face?
I should have listened to myself and not bought another carbureted piece of shit. At this point this bike has become a project vehicle and cannot be trusted to be reliable enough to be a daily driver.

Hopefully by the beginning of March I can go to AZ and pick up a new Husqvarna Terra 650 (with fuel injection ).
If a new carb doesn't solve this issue, I may be posting a new video on Youtube of me emptying a few mags with the AR-15 into this shit box.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #14288
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,596
didn't know he was going to stop making them. This guy use to make copies of the OEM rack. I have a OEM and they are awesome. Small and out fo the way, but better yet they are great grab handles for picking the bike as the stock grab bar doesn't really have aplace for you to grab.



http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR-35...8838f3&vxp=mtr
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #14289
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
These problems started right after I put on the Acerbis tank
It almost has to have something to do with this , did you wash the new tank out ? I have heard of lots of bits of plastic being in those new tanks .
Are you sure of your cable routing under the new tank ?
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 02:05 PM
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #14290
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken
 
Stretch67's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: My Mad Scientist Laboratory
Oddometer: 5,178
Choke cable?
__________________
IBA # 33113
Alaska
Blue Ridge Parkway & Outer Banks
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #14291
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Choke cable?
Stupid me I have too many bikes .
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #14292
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,823
low compression wont make it run rich
but low compresision will cause it to runlike shitwhen engine warms up
and low compression would make for poor combustion making the plug appear as if it isfouled

remove your air filter verify nothing is obstructing the air inlet
then try it with the air filter out

also the slide wears on these carbs and they run poorly
mine is worn and it just idles erratically


Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
All of the parts are there for the pumper assembly... I just thoroughly cleaned this carb a few months ago and it was running like a top.

How would compression affect it running rich?

What do you mean by choke vibrating closed? It has the same behavior with the choke open or closed.

These problems started right after I put on the Acerbis tank... maybe the extra fuel is putting more pressure into the line and its leaking somewhere into the intake???

I have the carb totally disassembled now sitting it a bath of citric acid. I'll let it soak over night and put it back together tomorrow to see what happens. I guess my next step is to order a new TM33...

I don't understand how this bike can run like a raped ape for a few months then on one 2 hour ride fall on its face?
I should have listened to myself and not bought another carbureted piece of shit. At this point this bike has become a project vehicle and cannot be trusted to be reliable enough to be a daily driver.

Hopefully by the beginning of March I can go to AZ and pick up a new Husqvarna Terra 650 (with fuel injection ).
If a new carb doesn't solve this issue, I may be posting a new video on Youtube of me emptying a few mags with the AR-15 into this shit box.
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #14293
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
It almost has to have something to do with this , did you wash the new tank out ? I have heard of lots of bits of plastic being in those new tanks .
Are you sure of your cable routing under the new tank ?
I did blow it out with shop air before i installed the petcocks.
Since this will no longer be a commuter bike, i guess I'll sell the Acerbis tank and put the stock one back on.
It is still pretty much new, (it still is on it's first tank of gas) I'll let it go for $200. Any takers?
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #14294
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 358
I understand the frustration, but I think its time to take a step back and look at your symptoms.

A key piece of information is the statement that it runs the same choke in or out....that indicates either so much extra fuel it can't run worse or that the enrichment circuit is at fault.

Another thing you said is it was running fantastic, then you changed the tank from stock and it ran like crap. This makes it highly unlikely (but I supposed possible) that there is a mechanical or electrical problem with the bike (ie low compression, CDI, etc). It would be an amazingly bad coincidence. I'd also discount the pressure from the tank theory...but you can check that by running with only 1 gal in the tank to see - 1 gal exerts the same pressure whether its in a 4 gal tank or a 2 gal one.

So it is really clear you are running too rich, which makes the bike run like doo doo after it warms up. I'd look at the choke itself - I've had Del'Orto carbs on my street bike where the plunger for the choke wouldn't seat correctly and that made the bike run poorly. Not sure about the pumper, but the plunger and knob should unscrew as a unit. Perhaps you got some crap under the plunger. When you rebuilt the carb did you take this out?

Perhaps you should dump a magazine worth into an effigy of your DR to get out the bad karma, then go try again.

BTW: are you really sure injection is going to be so much more reliable?
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #14295
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,327
Choke Plunger Detent

If you take the choke plunger out be aware on some carbs the little ball/spring detent can go flying.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014