Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #14326
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
After reading that article and thinking - if the resistor is flaking out, you'd be better w/o it. You can try your luck by just replacing the boot - or the whole wire with a known good one.

For a replacement resistor cap - ask at an autoparts place. I found this on O'Reilly's site: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0607&ppt=C0150

The wire goes straight into the coil though... can't replace it by itself, only the boot.

Wadester, do you have a street version or dirt like me?

If you have a dirt model, could I haul mine the 2 hours to Cruces and plug your CDI into mine to see if that fixes it?
I'll buy the beer and take you out to dinner.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #14327
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
ok, lets sum things up:

Bike ran perfect for a few months.
Adjusted the valves, put about ~700 miles on it, no problems.
Installed Acerbis tank,
Bike began popping from the exhaust.
about an hour later it began sputtering and losing power.
half an hour later it would barely run.

Installed a new coil, bike ran a little better.
Installed new plug, bike ran even a little better.

After a few minutes of riding, it went back to having problems.

Bike will fire up easy, idles fine, once you start riding around and giving it throttle it bogs down and dies. Plug will be fouled and fuel is in the intake (possibly from the pumper jet).

Carb has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected, no leaks at all.

I am now inspecting for an electrical problem. I checked the kill switch, seems to be no issues there.
I even took off the security switch I installed next to the coil, no difference.
I checked for spots where the wires could be rubbing, or loose connections. Flexing and bending the wiring to the CDI and stator made no difference in how the bike is running.

Bike will idle now with the choke on, but barely idles with the choke off. Problem is now at its worst.

CDI? Regulator? or Stator?
I haven't been following too closely, could you please fill in a few details. I'm sure these will seem like stupid questions that have been asked, but since the bike ran fine before the new tank there a 90% chance it's not a spontaneous electrical problem. Be disciplined and systematic. The more you try to fix the more complex the problem becomes.

What kind of popping did it have? Decel? Idle? Loud crack or low burble? Where in the rev range?
The pumper was on before you changed tank? Is it new or very old? Have you tried tying the pump linkage down to remove if from the equation to see if it's still too rich? It might be running lean and you are fooled by the pump.
Were you using a vacuum petcock?
Was this a CA spec bike with the chrome gas cap? If so what did you do with the emission plumbing?
Have you undone everything and put the old tank back on?
Have you rechecked the valves?
Will it run better without an air filler and air box cover?
Are the vent lines from the carb free of obstructions?
Are the fuel lines routed too close to a heat source?

From your list of problems it sound like the problem is something simple that doesn't need lots of digging to find. it's just been overlooked.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #14328
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
You guys have it easy in your neck of the woods.

Up here, in that condition, people would ask and reportedly sell for more than $3000. I've seen 1989s listed for $2500.

Needless to say, but I'm not (seriously) looking to buy a new to me dualsport (or other motorcycle) in the Greater Vancouver area.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #14329
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
The wire goes straight into the coil though... can't replace it by itself, only the boot.

Wadester, do you have a street version or dirt like me?

If you have a dirt model, could I haul mine the 2 hours to Cruces and plug your CDI into mine to see if that fixes it?
I'll buy the beer and take you out to dinner.
Sadly, I've got the street model. Don't know if they're really different. I know street has a rectifier/regulator on it. Let me check. I'd be happy to help if it will.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #14330
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
So I just noticed a change in symptoms as of your last report - before you said it didn't make any difference whether the choke was in or out (which is why I thought it could be a leaky enrichment circuit); most recently you said it idles great with choke out (on), and runs like crap and hardly idles with the choke in (off).....this is no longer the symptom of rich running.....

I am still with Brian that its 90% likely its something simple and not super complicated like a spontaneously failing coil or CDI.....
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #14331
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Sadly, I've got the street model. Don't know if they're really different. I know street has a rectifier/regulator on it. Let me check. I'd be happy to help if it will.
F***.

Thanks, but the electrical systems are going to be too different.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #14332
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
So I just noticed a change in symptoms as of your last report - before you said it didn't make any difference whether the choke was in or out (which is why I thought it could be a leaky enrichment circuit); most recently you said it idles great with choke out (on), and runs like crap and hardly idles with the choke in (off).....this is no longer the symptom of rich running.....

I am still with Brian that its 90% likely its something simple and not super complicated like a spontaneously failing coil or CDI.....
You are right, this started today and now its running at its worst.

The most frustrating part is that the new coil and plug made it run a lot better for a little while...

What could have gone wrong initially? Maybe its bad gas?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #14333
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
F***.

Thanks, but the electrical systems are going to be too different.
I have a dirt CDI that I can ship to you to try, just ship it back when you're done.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #14334
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I have a dirt CDI that I can ship to you to try, just ship it back when you're done.
I may take you up on that tomorrow. I'm going to change the gas and check the valves in the morning as a last ditch effort. Thanks, I'll let you know.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #14335
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The acerbis cap is vented.
Yes I know, but still have had 2 new tanks where the cap had to be drilled out as plugged with plastic in the vent hole.
Hope you get this fixed soon, this must be painful. Do you have a pic of that Husky in your garage?

Heirhead.
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #14336
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Yes I know, but still have had 2 new tanks where the cap had to be drilled out as plugged with plastic in the vent hole.
Hope you get this fixed soon, this must be painful. Do you have a pic of that Husky in your garage?

Heirhead.
Friday i will be heading back to Las Cruces to pick up my old tank from my shop and install it back on the bike. The Acerbis will be going on Ebay if no one here wants it.

This is incredibly painful, I'm wasting money driving my car or truck 1hr to work everyday when i could be riding a dirt bike and saving money.

I'll be waiting for my tax return later next month or early March so I can snatch up the Husky with cash and no financing.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #14337
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 441
it will be a big hurray heard round the dr350 thread then followed by a buncha ooooooooh yeahs when the issue is finally found so persevere! Im following other threads for my other bikes but nothing beats the friendly helping hands of you guys. Good luck!
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #14338
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
I haven't been following too closely, could you please fill in a few details. I'm sure these will seem like stupid questions that have been asked, but since the bike ran fine before the new tank there a 90% chance it's not a spontaneous electrical problem. Be disciplined and systematic. The more you try to fix the more complex the problem becomes.

What kind of popping did it have? Decel? Idle? Loud crack or low burble? Where in the rev range?
The pumper was on before you changed tank? Is it new or very old? Have you tried tying the pump linkage down to remove if from the equation to see if it's still too rich? It might be running lean and you are fooled by the pump.
Were you using a vacuum petcock?
Was this a CA spec bike with the chrome gas cap? If so what did you do with the emission plumbing?
Have you undone everything and put the old tank back on?
Have you rechecked the valves?
Will it run better without an air filler and air box cover?
Are the vent lines from the carb free of obstructions?
Are the fuel lines routed too close to a heat source?

From your list of problems it sound like the problem is something simple that doesn't need lots of digging to find. it's just been overlooked.
Loud popping under accel, or anything above idle. Mixture of low burble and occasional loud pop.
Stock pumper, I changed the jetting when I opened up the airbox in Sept, but its had 2k+ miles on it since then.
Good idea on removing the pumper rod, I'll try that.
Doubt its running lean, when you give it full throttle and hold it there (bouncing off the rev limiter) it blows smoke out the pipe.
No vacuum petcock, not CA compliant.
Will be putting the stock tank back on Friday or Sat.
Checking the valves today and putting new gas in the tank.
New air filter that I cleaned right away (I thought that was the problem at first)
Fuel lines are as far away from the cylinder casing as possible.

Here is a video of what it is doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j0RVrEJl9Y

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 10:43 AM Reason: added link
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #14339
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
it will be a big hurray heard round the dr350 thread then followed by a buncha ooooooooh yeahs when the issue is finally found so persevere! Im following other threads for my other bikes but nothing beats the friendly helping hands of you guys. Good luck!
Thats part of the reason I don't just trade this junker in when I get the Husky. I am dying to know wtf is wrong with it. Aside from a new cdi, regulator and stator, pretty much everything has been replaced or checked.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #14340
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Thats part of the reason I don't just trade this junker in when I get the Husky. I am dying to know wtf is wrong with it. Aside from a new cdi, regulator and stator, pretty much everything has been replaced or checked.
Hoping it's just the gas, and that puff of "smoke" is water vapour.

I watched the video, and it seems to me you are close to having it running properly. That it gets worse when the engine warms indicates you are still running rich. The absence of deceleration popping normally suggests lean/air leak, is supporting evidence.

Normally, on a properly carbureted bike with a warmed up engine, the revs should jump up when you enage the enrichener, and on a cold engine will rich-bog when you apply throttle with the choke (enrichener) engaged. You only have half of that equation. The revs do not jump up with choke (enrichener).

I didn't hear the revs go up when you engaged the enrichener, which means you must be as rich as you can get already (i.e. float level, main/idle jet too large, leaking choke valve). If you have not done so already, you can test this by taking the air filter cover off or the airfilter out of the equation altogether, and cover the back of the carb with a shop rag. If it runs better, then your A/F ratio is off.

How does it run when you get it off the pilot circuit under load? Are you able to nurse it through startup and take it out for some high-speed runs? Or is it just so shite-poor that you're concerned it'll crap out on you in the middle of the run?

With all of the replacements you've done, electrical is not likely to be the problem, but it could be that you dislodged some wiring during the tank replacement and you are not getting full voltage at the coil.

Let's see what happens with the old tank back on.

Fingers crossed for you.

BigD_83 screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 12:53 PM Reason: repeated quote removed
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote