Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #14431
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,652
I feel like I need to brag or something... My 93 DR350 was in storage for several months now. I took it out of storage, and having never kicked it before, it started on the first kick! Love at first sight, perhaps?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #14432
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
My CDI unit went kaput a couple of months ago and I have a replacement on the way. I want to make sure that I did the bypass of the clutch and side stand wiring correctly before I put on the new cdi.

So is it just a matter of connecting both wires together? The bike was running fine, I'm just a little paranoid at the moment that the bypass caused the problem. So can someone please post the correct procedure?

Thanks

Gerry

Yep the two wires get connected to each other. On both the kick stand and the clutch safety.

For the clutch, the wires can get dissconnected if you do not have enough slack in the wires turn the handle bar to the steering stop quickly like in a crash. Have you checked this before ordering a new CDI. This one is easy to do.

Kick stand. YOu should follow the wires all the way back to the plug. Clip the plug on the harness side. Take two lose wires, twist together and solder. Then tape back to harness. This takes a little longer to do as it is under the tank. I guess if you did not solder it or tape it realyl well they can come undone.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #14433
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I feel like I need to brag or something... My 93 DR350 was in storage for several months now. I took it out of storage, and having never kicked it before, it started on the first kick! Love at first sight, perhaps?
Somebody stole your DR and replaced it with a far inferior bike. A properly set up DR350 will make you kick it over until it feels you're warmed up and stretched enough that you won't injure yourself on it. This appears to be a built-in safety mechanism. They're very considerate in this regard and will frequently let you work up a good sweat on a cold morning.

You're a lucky man. Now go ride!
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #14434
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Somebody stole your DR and replaced it with a far inferior bike. A properly set up DR350 will make you kick it over until it feels you're warmed up and stretched enough that you won't injure yourself on it. This appears to be a built-in safety mechanism. They're very considerate in this regard and will frequently let you work up a good sweat on a cold morning.

You're a lucky man. Now go ride!

This man is doing it wrong.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #14435
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Parts just came in from tntmo.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get to the bottom of this and see what went AWOL on my bike.
Good luck, hope it solves your problem!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #14436
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Oil question

Hey all,

Just a question about the amount of oil I need to properly run my 97 dr350se.

On the frame is says "1700ml," but does that not include the oil that stays in the engine itself?

The reason why I ask is because I put in a quart (.946 ml) ran the bike for about 3 minutes, then checked the oil, and put almost all of the other quart in (because of being a dry sump)...

...It reads low, .946 ml x 2 = 1892 ml

It still reads low after I run the engine for 2 minutes and then put the dipstick in (not screwed in).

Any ideas? tips?
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #14437
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

That video makes me so happy I have the magic button.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #14438
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
What symptoms did your bike have that made you know the cdi went out?
The bike would turn over, but no spark. Was able to switch out a good cdi and then had a spark, back to the old one no spark

Mr P. thanks for the info, I double, triple checked the connections and all are good. But still my paranoia persists, hopefully a few hundred miles with the new cdi will calm me down!
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #14439
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
That video makes me so happy I have the magic button.
I have never owned a DR350 that started that difficult. I can start my 98 dirt model in flip flops in two kicks, sometimes with my hand thanks to the auto-decompression cam. The 91 DR350S that I sold to my neighbor starts in 3-4 kicks cold. Gotta kick it over like you mean it.

Button is way easier than either of them, though!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #14440
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
This man is doing it wrong.
Yep. Mine sat up for a couple weeks and I started it last night in three kicks. Valves in spec, fresh high-octane, full choke, 10 priming kicks, three real kicks. Vroom!
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #14441
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Good luck, hope it solves your problem!
RE: we're all here for you - waiting to see what the heck was going on.....

BTW: if the CDI gets it going, you're going to have to pass on the Husky - I think it has electronic ignition too! (sorry - had to be a smart a$$).
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #14442
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
My CDI unit went kaput a couple of months ago and I have a replacement on the way. I want to make sure that I did the bypass of the clutch and side stand wiring correctly before I put on the new cdi.

So is it just a matter of connecting both wires together? The bike was running fine, I'm just a little paranoid at the moment that the bypass caused the problem. So can someone please post the correct procedure?

Thanks

Gerry
The clutch was easy, just follow the wires back to where they connect to the harness behind the headlight and unplug from the harness. Then plug the two harness wires you just unpluged together.

On the side stand, I didn't want to cut the wires in case some one later on wanted to put it back original. Don't know why anyone would want to, but.... followed the wires back to the connector under the tank (right front) and disconnected the plug from the harness. Used a scotch lock connector to "make" the green and black/white wires on the harness side of the connector. Then taped up the plug with some of that rubber tape that bonds to itself. Probably should have used a jumper. If it ever screws up I'll fix it right.

Edit: Sorry, I'm really gettin slooooow.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #14443
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
RE: we're all here for you - waiting to see what the heck was going on.....

BTW: if the CDI gets it going, you're going to have to pass on the Husky - I think it has electronic ignition too! (sorry - had to be a smart a$$).

Switched out the cdi, still popping and sputtering.

Tomorrow I'll swapt out the stator to try that, and then the regulator if that doesn't do the trick.
I even swapped out the spark plug boot, no dice.

I started thinking about what people were saying about the clogged tailpipe so I took the end cap off the Supercrapp muffler. Looking inside it looks normal. No obstructions but black as sin.

I left it off and started the bike again to see if that would lean it out a bit. I should post a video of the flames coming out of it... sounds like fireworks its popping so bad.

If its not that stator or regulator tomorrow I'm going to lose my mind.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #14444
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Flames? Maybe on an F18 but...

Flames can't be an indicator of anything good in a DR350...

Can't wait for THAT video.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #14445
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Switched out the cdi, still popping and sputtering.

Tomorrow I'll swapt out the stator to try that, and then the regulator if that doesn't do the trick.
I even swapped out the spark plug boot, no dice.

I started thinking about what people were saying about the clogged tailpipe so I took the end cap off the Supercrapp muffler. Looking inside it looks normal. No obstructions but black as sin.

I left it off and started the bike again to see if that would lean it out a bit. I should post a video of the flames coming out of it... sounds like fireworks its popping so bad.

If its not that stator or regulator tomorrow I'm going to lose my mind.
Valve clearances! To me it sounds like your intake valves are just barely not closing all the way. That would explain why in the video it's so easy for you to kick (low compression), the backfiring (back into the intake and carb), and why there is smoke from the intake when you remove the carb/intake boot/whatever it was.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote