Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #14461
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
If this and checking the valves doesn't work, I'm setting it on fire.

something along the lines of this but angrier:
The first thing that came to my mind is that the photo lacked anger. It is filled with way too much joy. Note the green leaves, brightly colored clothing of the onlookers, even the fire looks ready for a smores marshmallow roast. I can hear the soundtrack from the sound of music playing in the background (gently).

I want something with real anger - and depression. I want to hear suicide music from Concrete Blonde. I want to see black, smell black, taste black. Nothing but black, and anger.

:> :> :> :> :> :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #14462
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,757

This came to mind. Especially the bands name.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #14463
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...;boardseen#new
This sounds like your situation Rugged.

And BTW, your problem is taking up too many post.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #14464
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
The first thing that came to my mind is that the photo lacked anger. It is filled with way too much joy. Note the green leaves, brightly colored clothing of the onlookers, even the fire looks ready for a smores marshmallow roast. I can hear the soundtrack from the sound of music playing in the background (gently).

I want something with real anger - and depression. I want to hear suicide music from Concrete Blonde. I want to see black, smell black, taste black. Nothing but black, and anger.

:> :> :> :> :> :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Precisely.

Have you ever been so angry that you chucked a tapestry into a flaming pile of rubbage?

Kinda where I'm at.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #14465
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...;boardseen#new
This sounds like your situation Rugged.

And BTW, your problem is taking up too many post.
I've tried so many times to get an account with that site and the server is either busy/down or they require something other than a hotmail or gmail account... which I don't have. And I'm not logging in with my government email address...

Is someone else having symptoms like mine?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #14466
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nope, not having the same symptoms on a DR350, but I have had flames coming out the exhaust on another bike...once or twice.

That just means you are shooting a bunch of unburned fuel out the exhaust, and it is igniting in the hot pipe. This could be either too much fuel or not enough air (bad A/F mix). It could also be low compression (open valves, bad rings, and or valve seats, poor timing), or poor/mistimed spark. Did I miss anything?

The question is, which of the above is causing the problem? And have you covered everything in your troubleshooting?

In my case, I had two of four carburetors that had chucked out their idle jet, and were dumping huge amounts of fuel. Turns out I didn't seat them tight when reinstalling, or they vibrated loose. My money is on a 2am user error.

The other question I have is whether or not burnt/bent valves could give one proper clearances but still hang up? I do not know the answer to that question but will try to follow up with some others over on www.thegsresources.com
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #14467
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
I picked this up as my DS trail beast. The PO did not know anything about the build. I was hoping someone here might now the builder. I have not ridden as I have a torn achilles. Something to look forward to when better.

I finally got myself logged into MaximumS site. I believe I found the builder and a complete build report. Very cool to have so many dedicated people who take such pride in their bikes. The info one can get from the Web these days is amazing.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #14468
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice looking build. THAT ^^^^ is what I've been looking for.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #14469
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 568
Purple frame

I have a 96 DR350Se with the purple frame, and painted blue plastics, yellow fork guards, and I was wanting to redo everything in white, and paint the frame. I might leave the frame, and just buy all new plastics and tank after seeing yours. Looks nice. What fork guards are those you have on there?
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #14470
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_83 View Post
My money is on a 2am user error.

we should start a 2am user error thread....

i once, after working 16hrs straight at work and then on this engine, left a shop rag in the center hole of a 1200 triple 2smoke (for a jetski) and put the new hi comp head on it. Then i looked around when cleaning up...didnt see my rag....looked into the spark plug holes and there she was. Grab the ratchet again and pull it back off...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #14471
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
I have a 96 DR350Se with the purple frame, and painted blue plastics, yellow fork guards, and I was wanting to redo everything in white, and paint the frame. I might leave the frame, and just buy all new plastics and tank after seeing yours. Looks nice. What fork guards are those you have on there?

Those are for a 91-95 rm 125/250 USD forks
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #14472
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_83 View Post
Nope, not having the same symptoms on a DR350, but I have had flames coming out the exhaust on another bike...once or twice.

That just means you are shooting a bunch of unburned fuel out the exhaust, and it is igniting in the hot pipe. This could be either too much fuel or not enough air (bad A/F mix). It could also be low compression (open valves, bad rings, and or valve seats, poor timing), or poor/mistimed spark. Did I miss anything?

The question is, which of the above is causing the problem? And have you covered everything in your troubleshooting?

In my case, I had two of four carburetors that had chucked out their idle jet, and were dumping huge amounts of fuel. Turns out I didn't seat them tight when reinstalling, or they vibrated loose. My money is on a 2am user error.

The other question I have is whether or not burnt/bent valves could give one proper clearances but still hang up? I do not know the answer to that question but will try to follow up with some others over on www.thegsresources.com

Well, I think the bike is done. And I think the valves are the culprit.

I ended up swapping the entire electrical systems and still had problems.

I checked the valve clearances and everything was in spec.

I put the original electrical system back on fired it up. For the past week the bike has been getting harder and harder to start. And it has gotten to the point where it would not idle without the choke pulled out.

As of this afternoon it got to the point to where it was a real beast to start. 5-10 minutes of constant kicking. Also it is now that I can pretty much crank it over with my arm.

I swapped the original tank back on fired it up. It ran like absolute shit for 1-2 minutes then died.

I pulled the carb off to see what was going on in the intake. Dark grey smoke poured out. (literally poured out. You could see an ominous cloud drift across the room and it continued coming out for a few minutes). I then looked down into the intake with a flashlight and probed around with my finger in there. It was gummy and covered with black soot. Also the valve rod was black and covered with gunk.

Now it wont start at all and its ridiculously easy to turn over.

Sounds like the valves are toast.

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:59 PM Reason: speeling
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #14473
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Well, I think the bike is done. And I think the valves are the culprit.

I ended up swapping the entire electrical systems and still had problems.

I checked the valve clearances and everything was in spec.

I put the original electrical system back on fired it up. For the past week the bike has been getting harder and harder to start. And it has gotten to the point where it would not idle without the choke pulled out.

As of this afternoon it got to the point to where it was a real beast to start. 5-10 minutes of constant kicking. Also it is now that I can pretty much crank it over with my arm.

I swapped the original tank back on fired it up. It ran like absolute shit for 1-2 minutes then died.

I pulled the carb off to see what was going on in the intake. Dark grey smoke poured out. (literally poured out. You could see an ominous cloud drift across the room and it continued coming out for a few minutes). I then looked down into the intake with a flashlight and probed around with my finger in there. It was gummy and covered with black soot. Also the valve rod was black and covered with gunk.

Now it wont start at all and its ridiculously easy to turn over.

Sounds like the valves are toast.
Sounds like it's time to pull the head off for a proper look - Not too bad of a job on this bike, really. Could be a burned or bent valve, broken camchain tensioner causing the valve timing to jump. You could also try a leakdown test if you have access to an air supply - but I bet you'll end up pulling the head anyway.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #14474
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

So RE will you rebuild? I would.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #14475
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
So RE will you rebuild? I would.
I would like to f^$*@( set this flaming piece of s&^# on f$^&*@# fire while using it sight in my new rifle scope after taking a giant s#^% on it.

But yeah. Its probably going to get rebuilt. Considering that I just sold the wife's dirtbike and this one is supposed to be hers and I've already gone through so much trouble getting it street legal.

Anyone here re-done the valves yet? Anyone know of a write-up?