User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #14476
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Got me bikes

I picked up a 99 dr350se and a 93 dr250se this weekend. Both need batteries. The 350 sounds draggy turning over like maybe a starter issue but I won't know for sure till I try it with a fresh battery. It does seem pretty noisy in the engine area to me, much noisier than the 250. Thinking the valves are at least out of adjustment so I've moved adjusting them to the top of the maintenance list. Anybody replaced a cam chain in one of these? Anything to replace besides the chain? Gears, guides, etc? I'll check valves and cam chain tensioner before getting more serious about the chain job but I'm trying to get a game plan in mind since I only see the bikes 1 day a week at most right now and they're 120 miles away round trip. Also, what's stock sprocket sizes for this?? I've looked around but all I can find are recommended combo's for off road grunt, highway revving, etc. Nobody wants to discuss stock apparently. I've got several front sprockets for experimenting but curious about stock as a baseline. Anybody know what stock sprockets for the 93 250se would be? Anybody have any advice for sprocket combos to ride the TAT through AR, OK, NM and Eastern CO then ride back to AR @ ~ 55 mph on asphalt(not interstate)? Thanks!
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #14477
past_tense
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Trade a XT250 for a DR350?

I have a 2008 Yamaha XT250 with 3,200 in very good condition. I'm considering selling or trading it to get a DR350.

The XT is OK. It is light, nimble, gets 70mpg, and its best feature is its nice low seat height. The downside is the low power. I ride some pretty tough trails and the light weight and low seat height are real pluses. But I'd also like to ride some of the remote back country roads in Utah and Nevada. These are gravel roads that lead to remote ranches and wilderness areas. To get to some of these areas requires some highway travel, maybe 100 miles or so. The XT just isn't a good fit for those types of trips. I was considering adding a KLR650 to the stable for those type of rides, but that would be bike four. I'd like to find a bike that would do both. I realize there would be compromise in finding a bike to do both, but I'm OK with that.

The DR350 seems like it might fit the bill. I've located a nice 1999 that would be an even up trade.

1. Would the DR350 be a good match for what I want to do?
2. Would the straight up trade be a reasonable deal?
3. What kind of mileage can I expect from the DR350?

Thanks.
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #14478
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I've done a few top end rebuilds on these bikes. It's very straight forward. I don't know of a write up but there may be one. If you have a manual, you should have no trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I would like to f^$*@( set this flaming piece of s&^# on f$^&*@# fire while using it sight in my new rifle scope after taking a giant s#^% on it.

But yeah. Its probably going to get rebuilt. Considering that I just sold the wife's dirtbike and this one is supposed to be hers and I've already gone through so much trouble getting it street legal.

Anyone here re-done the valves yet? Anyone know of a write-up?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #14479
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I don't know much about the XT250,but I think the DR would fit the bill nicely.That is the great thing about the DR,it will do single track,interstate,or anything inbetween.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #14480
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by past_tense View Post

The DR350 seems like it might fit the bill. I've located a nice 1999 that would be an even up trade.

1. Would the DR350 be a good match for what I want to do?
2. Would the straight up trade be a reasonable deal?
3. What kind of mileage can I expect from the DR350?

Thanks.
1.yes
2.I would trade you my 99DR350sex for it; but mine is supposed to be sold...we'll know next week. Your bike is worth about 1000 more than the DR, in florida. About 400-500 more in Washington State. Regions matter a lot. No way is it a straight up trade unless the DR is bigbored. I just bought a perfect bigbore DR450 in wash st for 2400.(sold is the 350)
3. I dont know ...never rode mine enough to check (it was in florida, i'm in indiana, my family in wash state). I heard 50-60.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #14481
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
OK, got the head off and I think I see the problem.

Its not looking like an electrical issue or 'something small'...

so... parts bike?

or is it worth it to get a new head, valves, piston, etc?

What caused this? slop in the timing chain?
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #14482
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
I picked up a 99 dr350se and a 93 dr250se this weekend. Both need batteries. The 350 sounds draggy turning over like maybe a starter issue but I won't know for sure till I try it with a fresh battery. It does seem pretty noisy in the engine area to me, much noisier than the 250. Thinking the valves are at least out of adjustment so I've moved adjusting them to the top of the maintenance list. Anybody replaced a cam chain in one of these? Anything to replace besides the chain? Gears, guides, etc? I'll check valves and cam chain tensioner before getting more serious about the chain job but I'm trying to get a game plan in mind since I only see the bikes 1 day a week at most right now and they're 120 miles away round trip. Also, what's stock sprocket sizes for this?? I've looked around but all I can find are recommended combo's for off road grunt, highway revving, etc. Nobody wants to discuss stock apparently. I've got several front sprockets for experimenting but curious about stock as a baseline. Anybody know what stock sprockets for the 93 250se would be? Anybody have any advice for sprocket combos to ride the TAT through AR, OK, NM and Eastern CO then ride back to AR @ ~ 55 mph on asphalt(not interstate)? Thanks!
Stock gearing for the "99 DR350SE is 15/41 (don't know about the 250) which should be good for that part of the TAT. It's mostly flat and low/moderate elevation. Mine gets ~60MPGs. In Northern OK we met this guy taking his camel (big camel) for a walk on a leash right down the black top. Followed him like a dog. Later this really wild horse breaks through a gate and runs down the road in front of us. The gate swings out and hit the guy in front of me and broke his hand guard, Strange day.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #14483
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Looks like rings are worn? Am I missing something other than the black burnt on oil on everything?

Chances are that your head is in ok shape, get it cleaned up, replace stem seals.

Piston, rings and cylinder....I'd go big bore kit if you plan to keep the bike.
http://www.kientech.com/bigborekits.htm

Quote:

so... parts bike?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #14484
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:

so... parts bike?

I don't know. I don't see the problem. Except for the extra wet looking black carbon. Exhaust valves look about the right color. Can't see any burned valves. Pull the valves and check the seats, guides and seals. If you don't have a valve spring compressor you can make one out of a big C clamp. Sometimes you can push them down by hand and use a magnet and helper to suck out the locks. First tap on the top of the valve spring a little will help unstick the locks. Might as well at least remove/hone the cylinder and install new rings. If it was mine I'd install new valves, guides and seals also.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #14485
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I can't see anything there except signs of poor combustion and possibly ring blow by.

Did you get compression numbers when you first got the bike?

To me it looks like a rebuild. Now would be the perfect time to bore it and put in a Wiseco 441.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #14486
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
I just bought a perfect bigbore DR450 in wash st for 2400.(sold is the 350)
Glad to see that someone on here bought that bike. I thought about but couldn't justify taking up the garage space. Enjoy it.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #14487
BigD_83
Adventurer

Wenatchee 350/450

I was next in line if you didn't follow through Dav_dman. Glad to see it went to someone who is going to appreciate it

BigD_83 screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 12:59 AM Reason: fixed inmate username
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #14488
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_83 View Post
I can't see anything there except signs of poor combustion and possibly ring blow by.

Did you get compression numbers when you first got the bike?

To me it looks like a rebuild. Now would be the perfect time to bore it and put in a Wiseco 441.

I obviously haven't torn into as many engines as you guys, I thought for sure this carbon build up was the smoking gun as to why its running awful and lost all compression over the past few days.

Tomorrow I will set the head on the bench upside down and fill it with diesel or gas and see if any seeps out around the valve seat. If not and everything looks tip top, I guess I'll pull the jug and check out the rings. Do I need any special tools to get compress the rings and get the piston back into the jug?

I don't think I want to pour anymore money into this shitshow of a motorcycle, or make the bore any larger considering its going to be my wife's bike.

If the valve seats and piston rings look good, them I'm still looking for why the bike is not running.
The problem has gotten worse to where the bike will not start now and has little to no compression... wtf
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #14489
BigD_83
Adventurer

Try not to get discouraged. The carbon buildup is a sign of something happening. Get it all cleaned up and checked over, and there is no reason to think it won't be good for another 10000 miles or more.

You can be happy that you are dealing with a single cylinder.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #14490
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_83 View Post
Try not to get discouraged. The carbon buildup is a sign of something happening. Get it all cleaned up and checked over, and there is no reason to think it won't be good for another 10000 miles or more.

You can be happy that you are dealing with a single cylinder.
Its hard dealing with this considering I just bought the bike in Sept, fought tooth and nail to get it street legal, got it fixed up the way I wanted it, then it started running like crap.

Its been down for nearly 2 months, and I've replaced or checked every part I can think of:
-plug
-coil
-spark plug boot
-cdi
-regulator
-stator
-all wiring harnesses
-carb
-valves
-fresh gas
-different fuel tanks and fuel lines
-clean air filter
Now it wont even start and has almost no compression.

I'm gone 60 hrs a week for work and I make too much money to be dealing with this kind of bullshit from a bike.
Thats why I'm driving to Texas tomorrow to put money down on a Terra 650 so I can have the next one that arrives.

If this was a restoration project or a bike that I had running reliably for years, I could understand taking my time with it and figuring out what is troubling it. But since it doesn't even have 5k miles on it, Suzuki is starting to drop down to the likeness of Chrysler products in my book.