Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #14626
NH Mudder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Laugh

Hey all, first post!

Just pulled the trigger on my first dual sport! A 97 dr350se! It will also be the first 4 stroke I've ever owned, 4 dirt bikes before this, but all 2 smokers. Picked it up for 400 $. PO say's apparently the cdi box is shot and needs replacing, but that info is from the owner before him who stated it just lost spark over time. So, I would like to try to rule out everything besides the cdi before dishing out all the money for a cdi box. I'm doing a far bit of research on it, and I think I have it mostly figured out of where to start, but if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated! I was hoping to tear it down and rebuild the carb, basic stuff just seeing really more in depth of what i got this weekend, but I believe we got snow coming so that will be put on hold. Pic's coming soon!
NH Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #14627
djpreston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanmaximondo View Post
Thanks a lot - tntmo

But I fear posting them to South Africa is a bit of a long stretch... they many never arrive or just take too long.
Im sure I can find one at the Bike Hospital - Johannesburg equivalent to a bike wreckers or for me bike haven!
Hey Danielle,

I got one from Suzuki Toy Store in Centurion, Dirtstyle should be able to get you one from Suzuki SA, it was cheap, about R25.

Cheers,
Dale
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #14628
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Mudder View Post
So, I would like to try to rule out everything besides the cdi before dishing out all the money for a cdi box.
Sounds like a deal to me.

I found a writeup on testing the ignition system that is a pretty good guide. I don't know who did it, maybe someone here. I've posted it at the link below.

If someone looks at it and recognizes the source I'll give an attribution.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?fbu87valt1f5hrj

Note - I just checked the link and the writup looks like crap on their rendering, but if you download it and open it a text editor it looks fine.

Do you have a manual?

If not there is a wiring diagram here.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ja558k89gfoon2c

It is for a 94, but the 97 is the same.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #14629
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Hey all, first post!

Just pulled the trigger on my first dual sport! A 97 dr350se! It will also be the first 4 stroke I've ever owned, 4 dirt bikes before this, but all 2 smokers. Picked it up for 400 $. PO say's apparently the cdi box is shot and needs replacing, but that info is from the owner before him who stated it just lost spark over time. So, I would like to try to rule out everything besides the cdi before dishing out all the money for a cdi box. I'm doing a far bit of research on it, and I think I have it mostly figured out of where to start, but if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated! I was hoping to tear it down and rebuild the carb, basic stuff just seeing really more in depth of what i got this weekend, but I believe we got snow coming so that will be put on hold. Pic's coming soon!
There has been lots of discussion about loss of spark on this thread. Most of the time it is related to one of the neutral interlock switches (clutch, side stand, in gear) or kill/ignition switches. I think most people remove/disable the clutch and side stand switches.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 07:21 AM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #14630
Frankdozer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Hey all, first post!

Hey NH Mudder....I looked at that DR in Center Conway on January 19, Saturday about noon time. The young guy that owned it didn't know what a good bike it was. I liked it but I was looking to purchase a no need work bike. Great Find and Great Price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frank
Frankdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #14631
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 206
Just put a new FMF powercore4 can on my 99 DR350sex. Its a little loud but I think I can get used to it.
At least it now sounds like a motorcycle instead of a pressure washer.

Stock Jetting seems to be fine. Definitely notice a slight power increase. It's got a little more umphhh now.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #14632
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Should I Buy?

Hey All,

First post, excited to be here!!

I'm going to look at a 1991 DR350s over the weekend, but first I'm hoping for a bit of advice on what to ask about and if the price is right. Here's the seller's post:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3570442671.html

His asking price is $975, is this fair? NADA shows 'excellent' condition to be $1000 and 'good' at $775 so I'm inclined to think an $800 ballpark is reasonable.

Any input on what I should ask about, what I should be aware of during a test ride that's specific to these bikes?

I've only ridden sport bikes to date, but I'm really drawn to adventure riding - there are lots of great trails around my area. My sis also lives in Crested Butte, so fun weekend trips are in my future. AND the Continental Divide Trail is on my list. I'm drawn to these older 4-stroke thumpers because of reliability (is this assumption accurate?) and environmental impact (emissions being better than a 2-stroke). As a rider who's new to trail bikes, but used to big, torquey machines (I ride an FZR1000), do you think this is a good choice? I do want something street legal so I can ride to nearby trails as opposed to loading it up for a 10-min drive.

Thanks in advance!
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #14633
NH Mudder
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankdozer View Post
Hey NH Mudder....I looked at that DR in Center Conway on January 19, Saturday about noon time. The young guy that owned it didn't know what a good bike it was. I liked it but I was looking to purchase a no need work bike. Great Find and Great Price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frank
Yeah, he didn't know much about bikes I figured. He was saying how the Previous Owner told him this and that. So I'm just going to go through the whole bike and look for the loss of spark instead of just throwing a cdi box at it.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #14634
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hey All,

I'm going to look at a 1991 DR350s over the weekend, but first I'm hoping for a bit of advice on what to ask about and if the price is right. Here's the seller's post:

His asking price is $975, is this fair? NADA shows 'excellent' condition to be $1000 and 'good' at $775 so I'm inclined to think an $800 ballpark is reasonable.

Any input on what I should ask about, what I should be aware of during a test ride that's specific to these bikes?

I've only ridden sport bikes to date, but I'm really drawn to adventure riding - there are lots of great trails around my area. My sis also lives in Crested Butte, so fun weekend trips are in my future. AND the Continental Divide Trail is on my list. I'm drawn to these older 4-stroke thumpers because of reliability (is this assumption accurate?) and environmental impact (emissions being better than a 2-stroke). As a rider who's new to trail bikes, but used to big, torquey machines (I ride an FZR1000), do you think this is a good choice? I do want something street legal so I can ride to nearby trails as opposed to loading it up for a 10-min drive.

Thanks in advance!
looks good. Miles? dont see any turn signals. Its kick start..have him show u how decomp works if those older ones have a decomp lever, not sure. Perfect size bike imo, for what you wanna do.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #14635
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

That's a fair price. It's a kicker only. Any running motorcycle is worth at least $1000 in my book. You have more in parts there than you may have in bike.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #14636
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
looks good. Miles? dont see any turn signals. Its kick start..have him show u how decomp works if those older ones have a decomp lever, not sure. Perfect size bike imo, for what you wanna do.
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear I'm looking for the right type of bike. No turn signals required in CO - break-light, head-light, mirror, and horn are the min. But my truck doesn't even have a horn so I'm not concerned there.

When I spoke to the guy on the phone he said 'low miles' but couldnt remember specifically. He did say he flips bikes for extra income, so I know I'll have to ask a lot of questions about maintenance history.

a1fa, thanks for your advice as well! I guess my price suggestion must have sounded greedy, I'm not looking to rob the guy. Thanks for helping me get a handle on the market!

Thanks again.
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #14637
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
So I need to adjust my valves (being as how it's at TDC, the exhaust has play and the intake doesn't). I saw the nice Motion Pro valve/tappet adjusters, saw their price and thought I better find something else.

Has anyone else adjusted valves with a square drive screw in a chunk of wood? Seems like it'd work fine.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #14638
trailraat
Adventurer

Tire size:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the stock tire sizes are virtually impossible to find these days it seems. I am wondering is a 90/90 - 21 equivalent to the 100/80 - 21? And for the rear, is a 120/80 -18 equivalent to the 110/90 - 18? I am looking at the Michelin t63 and those seem to be the only tire sizes that come close to matching. I would be tempted to try the 130/80 - 18 even to get a little more height if it would fit. Any thoughts would be welcome
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #14639
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad View Post
So I need to adjust my valves (being as how it's at TDC, the exhaust has play and the intake doesn't). I saw the nice Motion Pro valve/tappet adjusters, saw their price and thought I better find something else.

Has anyone else adjusted valves with a square drive screw in a chunk of wood? Seems like it'd work fine.

- Spad
I bent a screw with pliers and then ground down the point. Works great and fits in with my hex keys in the tool kit.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #14640
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Tire size:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the stock tire sizes are virtually impossible to find these days it seems. I am wondering is a 90/90 - 21 equivalent to the 100/80 - 21? And for the rear, is a 120/80 -18 equivalent to the 110/90 - 18? I am looking at the Michelin t63 and those seem to be the only tire sizes that come close to matching. I would be tempted to try the 130/80 - 18 even to get a little more height if it would fit. Any thoughts would be welcome
I too have a '92 DR350S. I have been running 130/80-18 and 90/90-21 T63 for over a year now w/o problems. Here's a pic of the rear:

TuBliss, too!

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote