Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #14671
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Has anyone tried to put the squadron headlight into the stock fairing, or used the squadron fairing on their DR350?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42080656,d.aWM
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #14672
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Clarke or Acerbis?

What is the better aftermarket gas tank for the dr350? Curious about opinions on looks, as well as fitting. Is it a bitch to access the spark plug with them?

How do you treat the plastic tanks before using them? I heard that some plastic residue can be present in the new ones. What is the best way to seal the tank. I have read about stuff like "Kreem" but that seems more for metal tanks to prevent rusting. correct me if i am wrong and let me know what's up!
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #14673
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Haven't been able to compare them in the flesh, so I'll just give my opinion of the Acerbis:

Well made (mine is probably 15 years old and still going strong); fits well. Finicky about the routing of the fuel lines if you want to make sure you get all the gas out (lots of threads on that one).

If you are riding on the street any distance, the tank is a necessity as the stock tank is so small. In pictures the Acerbis looks fine, but in reality I find it quite huge - it doesn't interfere with riding position (standing or sitting) but it feels large. On road, no issue. Off road on gravel etc, no issue. On single track in the woods, makes the bike seem BIG and if its close to full its a lot of weight up high (I call the DR the Exxon Valdez when the tank is on). I went back to the steel tank for tight off road as we're normally not too far from the trailer, and put the Acerbis back on for normal back roads/around town.

In my ideal world some one would have made a 3gal plastic tank for the SE's for trail riding.....

Oh, BTW: no need to seal the tank. I kinda doubt Kreem would adhere actually then you'd have some real issues. If you are worried about plastic reside then you need to thoroughly clean it out before installing.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #14674
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
tank

Hello,

NO KREEM, or any other crap. Rinse out with a little gas. Have Acerbis on dr350 and like it much.
Easy to get to plug. Use routes for hoses as described in thread. Had many Clarke tanks and have IMS on dr650.
Only issue I have had with the Clarkes is the cap didn't ventilate and bike shut off, once on interstate. Blow through cap to make sure hole is open when new. Clarke sent me 2 new caps and gave me a break on another tank. Also the petcock didn't match tank on one, had to drill.
MARKK900, this gas tank feels like a Sabot compared the the R100 gs p/d SUPER TANKERS that I have had. Love the looks, but way to big for me now, really always were.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #14675
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippda View Post
What is the better aftermarket gas tank for the dr350?
I just picked up a Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank from an XR650 for mine.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=58367.160
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #14676
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippda View Post
What is the better aftermarket gas tank for the dr350? Curious about opinions on looks, as well as fitting. Is it a bitch to access the spark plug with them?

How do you treat the plastic tanks before using them? I heard that some plastic residue can be present in the new ones. What is the best way to seal the tank. I have read about stuff like "Kreem" but that seems more for metal tanks to prevent rusting. correct me if i am wrong and let me know what's up!

Check my posts on comparing the two tanks including pictures of them side by side. Three different links:

Tanks on the bike:

10709 and 10711
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #14677
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks Madchap, along with everyone else.
I appreciate the opinions and facts. I guess i should use the search bar a little more

Sounds like the acerbis is the best choice for my case anyways. Do they require new petcocks? or is stock sufficient? I know its probably better to shell out for a keintech petcock but they are 100 bones.

Dylan
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #14678
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

I think they come with petcocks. Mine did anyway. You will need to remember to block off the vacuum port on the carb that went to the original petcock (you'll see the extra hose when you change the tank). Get a cap at an autoparts store or put a suitable screw in the hose from the carb.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #14679
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
MARKK900, this gas tank feels like a Sabot compared the the R100 gs p/d SUPER TANKERS that I have had. Love the looks, but way to big for me now, really always were. Heirhead
I hear you! I was directing my comments to tight trail riding (the GS would probably lose one or both cylinders on the trails I am thinking of!)....the Acerbis is quite manageable in all but the really tight stuff (though I did ride the DR on an MX practice track and when I hit the tabletop jump (and got maybe 6" of air) the DR dropped like a stone....the KTM I tried out at the same time had no such issues! :)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #14680
pnw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have a new Acerbis tank but haven't had time to install it yet. It comes with everything to install including two petcocks. It looks like it holds the gas lower than the stock so I don't see it as making the bike top heavier other than additional gas that you would carry with a full tank. I wanted to carry more fuel but I didn't want to add weight to the back of the bike with a gas can on the rack.
pnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #14681
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,246
actually his looks like a S model, and the regulator behind your CDI box looks like my 1991 DR350 dirt regulator.

how many yellow wires going to yours Rugged?

here is my 1991 regulator. single phase.. dirt only bike.

if you look close at this photo, I swapped a later model S bike rectifier/regulator in along with a 3 phase stator on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
huh. His looks like a dirt model.

Here is mine just to the rear of the CDI

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:31 PM
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #14682
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
actually his looks like a S model, and the regulator behind your CDI box looks like my 1991 DR350 dirt regulator.

how many yellow wires going to yours Rugged?

here is my 1991 regulator. single phase.. dirt only bike.

if you look close at this photo, I swapped a later model S bike rectifier/regulator in along with a 3 phase stator on my bike.

You're right, his doesn't have a kick starter.

I can't remember how many wires, I'll let you know tomorrow. I finished getting my work bench into the house today so I should I have time when I get off work at 8am tomorrow to start putting the DR back together.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #14683
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Here's a look at the crash bars i snagged up, and at my voltage reg placement.. As i had stated, mine is a full blown dr350S says right on the vin tag as well, and on all original paperwork it came with. Anyhow, cage went on almost flawlessly. Had to unbolt banjo bolt on left side of bike that feeds head with oil so i could remove and replace one of the bolts for the kit. The bracket on the right side of bike, top mount by exhaust had to have a very small amt of grinding done on it, just for extra clearance by exhaust..probably wouldna been ok, but im very picky about clearance on stuff. Also, i did a tiny bit of grinding on back tab where it mounts near kickstarter engine mount. it was really close to the case, so i took some off incase it vibrates and shifts closer to engine.. Either way, they are finally on and look pretty cool!! Enjoy guys!

Has anyone ever seen these on a DR 350 before? Im yet to see any pictures of a bike with them on it..this was an entire KIT that i snagged off ebay by sheer luck. Sure it was expensive, but i like them! thought it'd be some cool farkle to add to the bike!!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #14684
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Thanks Wadester, I was wondering if you had any input on if the T63 works reasonably in mud and wears reasonably on the street?
Mud is fairly rare out here in the southwestern desert, but last October I did a lovely ride thru the Monticello Box canyon. The "road" is often the streambed, mostly sand/gravel, but some muddy spots - nothing too deep. The T63's not only took me the 100 miles of highway to the dirt, but never disappointed me during the ride:

This is the exit from the box:

I've got about 2000 miles on the tires, mostly pavement (commuting). I took a machinist ruler to the knobs - 0.4" ht on the side knobs, 0.3" on the centerline knobs of the back tire. I should be able to get at least another 2000 miles before the dirt performance is "slipping". Forgot to check the front, but that one doesn't usually wear as much.

Here's an overall of the bike - you can see a little mud residue on the front fender - but mostly washed clean in the stream:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #14685
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
^^^ awesome info ^^^

I'll measure my new never mounted T63 and post for comparison. Given your 2000 miles of T63 experience would you buy them again? Any other tires on you bike you prefer or suggest avoiding?

And because someone will ask, what's that headlight? The windscreen? The rack?

Thanks again for your tire review!!

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 01:52 AM Reason: memory lapse
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote