Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #14701
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Speaking of graphics, found some left overs on Ebay from when Dualsport-fx did custom DR-350 stuff. Hope this helps people with some project somewhere.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DUALSPORT-FX-...ht_4616wt_1163
those look awesome! Damn! to bad i cant read all that crap, or figure out what they cost!? lol

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #14702
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
oil change question

Hey all,

Did an oil change on my new to me 97 dr350se. I changed the oil filter, as well.

I put one quart in, started the bike up, turned it off, put the other quart in. It says '1700ml' on the frame but is that for just the frame and I need more for the crank case?

Because when I run the bike for 3 minutes, turn off, wait a minute and read the dipstick (by not screwing it in) it reads 'L' or Low.

Two quarts is around 1892 ml.. thats obviously more than 1700 ml.... any ideas?
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #14703
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
2 quarts with a filter change is the right amount. The dip stick is terrible on the DR. You have to hold your tongue just right, stand on one foot, close your right eye 3/4 of the way and humm Camptown Races to get an accurate reading.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #14704
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
2 quarts with a filter change is the right amount. The dip stick is terrible on the DR. You have to hold your tongue just right, stand on one foot, close your right eye 3/4 of the way and humm Camptown Races to get an accurate reading.
Amen! Forget that 3 minute routine - it never worked for me. Put in 2 quarts with a filter change and if it ain't leaking on the floor, you are good to go. I have a very strict habit of checking the oil immediately after each ride or when I stop to refuel on long trips. I always get accurate readings then. Best of all, I don't have to go through some ridiculous checking-oil-routine the next time I want to ride the motorcycle.

Lack of oil is the easiest way to toast the otherwise very reliable DR350. Check it every time :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #14705
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Good place to mention this again

Re: lack of oil

Get one of the screw-in thermometers that replace the dipstick. I ordered one on eBay, cost about $30 shipped from Germany.

I've had one on my bike for a bit and I usually see about 80-120C depending on ambient temperature and how quickly I'm moving. I mainly use the gauge as a way to make sure I've got enough oil in the bike. If it doesn't rise above 40c after a few minutes of riding, it probably needs to be topped off.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #14706
smc5735
Adventurer

Ghostyman, I closed my LEFT eye instead of my right, that's it !

Thanks for the responses guys I appreciate it. I guess I'll just be checking my oil more regularly than normal. As long as its 2 quarts I should be good to go.

thanks again !
smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #14707
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post

Get one of the screw-in thermometers that replace the dipstick. I ordered one on eBay, cost about $30 shipped from Germany.

I've had one on my bike for a bit and I usually see about 80-120C depending on ambient temperature and how quickly I'm moving. I mainly use the gauge as a way to make sure I've got enough oil in the bike. If it doesn't rise above 40c after a few minutes of riding, it probably needs to be topped off.
where'd ya get one of these at? lol

the time is upon me to start getting the bike ready for rippin shit up. The rear of the bike is good to go! (SHAKE AND BAKE!!) the front it my main priority here..pretty much from handlebars down! On my list of stuff i have: New front tire, bearings, Tube, Brake pads, Rotor, oil change, Throttle tube, grips, and some plastic covers for my brush busters. (also need to mount my "headlight crash cage" that i bought, but doesnt fit real well with the brush busters...) If anyones got suggestions on Rotor/pad combos, let me know. Also suggestions on a good front tire that'll hold its ground on the road, and on the dirt...gonna run my 606 rear for a while this year till everything dries up then ill switch over to my Kenda to finish it off and replace this fall. so...if anyones got good links on tires, brakes, rotors, hit me with em! Thanks boys!! Woooot!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa

mustangwagz screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:53 PM Reason: needed to say more shit!
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #14708
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
What's needed to improve the front brake feel? Mine feels like grabbing grandma's ass -- all mush and no push....
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #14709
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
What's needed to improve the front brake feel? Mine feels like grabbing grandma's ass -- all mush and no push....
Tell her to do some squats.

And flush your brake fluid. A lot of people report better feel with stainless steel brake lines (immediately followed by a post from someone saying that they make no difference in actual braking. How are your pads?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #14710
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Oil change with filter I also do 2 quarts

I just flushed my front brake that almost pulled to the bar. With new fluid it's nice and firm.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #14711
jmderyke
Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
those look awesome! Damn! to bad i cant read all that crap, or figure out what they cost!? lol
It cost $144. plus shipping, pretty pricey. theres vinyl wrap for half the price but have to fit it yourself
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #14712
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:

Got a order source where you got your oil temp gauge?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #14713
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Amen! Forget that 3 minute routine - it never worked for me. Put in 2 quarts with a filter change and if it ain't leaking on the floor, you are good to go. I have a very strict habit of checking the oil immediately after each ride or when I stop to refuel on long trips. I always get accurate readings then. Best of all, I don't have to go through some ridiculous checking-oil-routine the next time I want to ride the motorcycle.

Lack of oil is the easiest way to toast the otherwise very reliable DR350. Check it every time :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Hello,

Got head back, the bikes, from machine shop with time sert in and ready to go. Snapped plug off at head. Not cross threaded as they said I tightened to tight and did not use anti seize. Broke it off, taking it out! Oh well, never used anti seize before but will now.

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:57 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #14714
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Got a order source where you got your oil temp gauge?
Current eBay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180498178219...219%26_rdc%3D1

and here's a German info page: http://www.rr-motorsport-ries.de/motorrad/produkt.htm

Here's a pic installed on a DR350 (not my pic):

The bottom of the probe is at the midpoint of the hash marks on the dipstick. When the gauge stops registering over something like 60C, check your oil.

Look like it's gone up in price since I got mine. About $48 shipped from Germany
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #14715
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Current eBay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180498178219...219%26_rdc%3D1

and here's a German info page: http://www.rr-motorsport-ries.de/motorrad/produkt.htm

Here's a pic installed on a DR350 (not my pic):

The bottom of the probe is at the midpoint of the hash marks on the dipstick. When the gauge stops registering over something like 60C, check your oil.

Look like it's gone up in price since I got mine. About $48 shipped from Germany
I've been thinking about putting one of these on my 98DR350SE.
Here's a link to another current seller on Ebay; not sure of your conversion rate but it looks a bit cheaper?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2309279761...84.m1423.l2649

There's also some useful info on oil temperature gauges from Pablo, back on Page 20 of this very thread....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=17041816
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote