Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #14716
smc5735
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I have been a longtime lurker and joined a few months ago. Finally picked up my 97 DR350SE with about 6200 miles.

I have done a few things, such as: Oil change with filter, new front tire (DOT approved) it is a pirelli trial tire. I changed the tank decal from the pinkish stock one and grabbed this oem decal that came with the bike. I also have a plastic tank that the bike came with..

I just put new front brake pads in last night.

Here are a few pictures, finally.. Could someone tell me what carb I have? I will post up more pictures once I get out my actual camera!

It's hard to see but it says "Mikuni"

Needs to be cleaned !

smc5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #14717
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc5735 View Post
Here are a few pictures, finally.. Could someone tell me what carb I have? I will post up more pictures once I get out my actual camera!
That's a nice looking bike. That would be the CV carb.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #14718
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
That's a nice looking bike. That would be the CV carb.
also known as a BST33
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #14719
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc5735 View Post

It's hard to see but it says "Mikuni"

The big black plastic cap on top says "CV". That cap holds the diaphragm. Pumpers look like this:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #14720
slimy
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
smc5735 - Nice bike. Yes, its a CV carb. Stock on all DR350SE models.

Throw away that stock foam air filter if it is older than 5 years. My guess it is the one that came with the bike when it was new, making it 16 years old. Those stock filters start to disintegrate when they get old and the pieces are ingested into the engine. I saw this happen on my DR350. Recommend a Uni, No Toil, Moose, or some other good aftermarket air filter. Keep the plastic cage inside the stock air filter; you will need that inside your new air filter.

Now go get it dirty.

slimy screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 05:33 PM
slimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #14721
djpreston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hi guys,

I need some advice, my '93 DR350S (36300 miles) tends to miss, it feels as if the bike is braking, when going downhill, it always happens when I'm off the throttle (not accelerating, just cruising), any advice?

My DR is fitted with an aftermarket muffler, don't know what brand as it has no markings. She also tends to back-fire every now and then.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #14722
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpreston View Post
Hi guys,

I need some advice, my '93 DR350S (36300 miles) tends to miss, it feels as if the bike is braking, when going downhill, it always happens when I'm off the throttle (not accelerating, just cruising), any advice?

My DR is fitted with an aftermarket muffler, don't know what brand as it has no markings. She also tends to back-fire every now and then.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
Go up one size on the pilot jet
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #14723
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
I'm surprised but indeed the rim is a different part number for pre-1997 to post-1997....the hub is also a different part number (in both cases looked at the SE version - dual sport), so the angle of the holes may be different. And that may be why the listing you are looking at has the restriction to post 1997. Both are the same size (2.15x18 as you already said).

Is there a big difference - can't say. And I've laced rims to hubs (on street bikes mind you) without considering that possibility (when dealing with old bikes you don't always have a lot of options).....

Mark

edit: it just occurred to me that perhaps the change in hub/part number was to reconcile parts to a common set between multiple models....will have to look what else uses those parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
The 97-99 DR350SE models got rid of the cush drive rear hub and went with the solid mounted hub that was standard on the dirt model DR.
I measure the spoke nipple to be .250 inch on the cush drive dr350s. I wonder if the dirt model and later models have thicker spokes/nipples meaning that the rims would have different sized spoke holes.

Do the later models have .320 nipples?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #14724
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
[QUOTE=heirhead;20705643]Hello,

Time-sert.

Heirhead

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:55 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #14725
trailraat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I am looking for a source for bar risers in Canada. I have searched on google with little luck, I did try a link in a previous post from the US, however, it seems a little ridiculous to me to pay $30 shipping on a $20 set of bar risers. I was hoping someone could give me a suggestion?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #14726
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I know it sounds funny but check your local dealer - I was in this past weekend at mine and happened to notice a couple of sets hanging on the accessory wall....if they don't have what you want they can order (and no shipping!).

Alternatively, try Royal Distributing.....
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #14727
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,530
Well, I'm going to pick up a '96 DR350SE this afternoon. I wasn't really looking for a DR350 specifically, I was actually about to make a call about a nice-looking XL600R, but this one popped up on craigslist just down the road from me for a great price and it seems that it will fit the bill for commuting and trying to expand my riding from street-only to a bit of off-road.

At the price the seller is asking, I'm going to get it regardless of issues unless it's completely bombed out, but it only has about 7,000 miles on it so I'm assuming it won't be too bad. I am curious, though, about how the DR350 does on freeways. I have read some conflicting information, some people saying it's just fine thanks to the 6-speed transmission and some saying it doesn't have the power. Of course, I've also read that the XL600R wouldn't be great on the freeway either... Heck, I've even been told that my CX500 would be a danger on the freeway.

So I guess I'll ask a more objective question - does it have the power to cruise for a few hours at a time at 70mph, with a little left to spare for passing and evasive maneuvers? And is that going to damage the engine or shorten its lifespan unreasonably?
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #14728
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
So I guess I'll ask a more objective question - does it have the power to cruise for a few hours at a time at 70mph, with a little left to spare for passing and evasive maneuvers? And is that going to damage the engine or shorten its lifespan unreasonably?
Yes, it does have the power, though you will be pushing it pretty hard to maintain a 70 MPH speed. Of course, you'll need to swap out the sprockets from stock to achieve this - neither difficult nor expensive. Expect to slow down if going up hill and you will not have much extra for passing.

Personally, I like to keep it between 60 - 65 MPH for long days. I've pushed it harder than that, but fuel economy suffers and it just isn't fun to wring it out like that for extended periods of time.

As long as you have oil in the engine, I do not believe you are going to damage anything nor reduce the lifespan unreasonably. I've done some very long days on the DR without any perceptible problems whatsoever. Just keep oil in it. Check the oil immediately after each ride and at every fill up while pulling long days.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #14729
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Yes, it does have the power, though you will be pushing it pretty hard to maintain a 70 MPH speed. Of course, you'll need to swap out the sprockets from stock to achieve this - neither difficult nor expensive. Expect to slow down if going up hill and you will not have much extra for passing.

Personally, I like to keep it between 60 - 65 MPH for long days. I've pushed it harder than that, but fuel economy suffers and it just isn't fun to wring it out like that for extended periods of time.

As long as you have oil in the engine, I do not believe you are going to damage anything nor reduce the lifespan unreasonably. I've done some very long days on the DR without any perceptible problems whatsoever. Just keep oil in it. Check the oil immediately after each ride and at every fill up while pulling long days.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Thanks! I don't plan on being on the freeway for hours with a bike like this but it may be necessary from time to time to run a hundred miles or so at speed. Good to know it can do it if necessary.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #14730
a1fa
Riding Nomad

Oddometer: 13,498
Can a newer DR200SE be converted to 350 by using some of the 350 parts? Suzuki has really screwed the pooch by not making a newer DR350.... I don't consider the DRZ400 a successor, by any means.