Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #14821
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

But I would still like to have it running so I have an actual dirt bike to run around the ranch checking coyote traps and raising hell.

Seems like after 200 miles you realize what the Husky is not.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #14822
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
Seems like after 200 miles you realize what the Husky is not.
You are right. The Husky is great commuter (so far). 60 miles per gallon, goes down the highway without revving the hell out of it, and can tackle moderate trails.

But it is not a mountain goat like the DR. I would say the Husky is as capable offroad as the DR is on-road, and the DR is as capable on-road as the Husky is offroad.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #14823
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Ha! The DR may have had something to do with it.

As for now, the it runs, but not well. I will probably order a gasket kit and let Bullitman281 help me trouble shoot it further in a month.

There is no real rush to get it going. Just found out last week the wife is preggers so no dirt bikes for her for a while.
But I would still like to have it running so I have an actual dirt bike to run around the ranch checking coyote traps and raising hell.
First off - congratulations on the family situation. Perhaps you can keep the DR for the wee one - might be running well by the time he or she is ready (sorry - couldn't resist).

Was interested in your take on the Terra - looks good on paper but you'll have to post how it works off road. I have a street bike so don't need a commuter....latest CW dual sport test shows all three bikes being as heavy as the DR and less powerful with less suspension.....not sure how far we've come!
markk900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #14824
Greg Bender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Just found out last week the wife is preggers
Fantastic news!!!! :>

We have two children and I love every minute of being a father. Both were introduced to motorcycles very early: Darby at less than one hour old (she was born at home) and Abraham just as soon as we got home from the hospital. Both had their first ride on their first birthday strapped to my chest. I can't wait to take them on real trips when they are old enough.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #14825
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
...latest CW dual sport test shows all three bikes being as heavy as the DR and less powerful with less suspension.....not sure how far we've come!

Which three bikes. I think the terra is aslightly heavier than the DR but I am sure it makes more than 30hp.

CW-405 lbs, 58hp. My DR fully fueled no tools is 325lbs
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #14826
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootmymime View Post
Hello everyone, i thought i would just introduce myself. last summer i went to Mid-Ohio with a buddy who owns hundreds of bikes. well he sold me one for a steal.$600 although it has been rebuilt and changed with some donor parts from a Honda CR (i think) its a great fun bike! so far i have added a baja light kit, pirelli rear tire xcmh (i also picked up a rear paddle tire) and just gone over the bike making sure everything was adjusted properly. ive put a few hundred miles on it riding it around my property this last summer. alright enough talking how about some pictures!
the first few are how it looked the day i got it. then on the trailer back home, then the upgrades.
Meant to comment earlier - stunning bike! I personally liked the round light and yellow plate but the Baja light looks good too. I very much appreciate the aesthetic of the person that built this one up....a modern Penton!

Is that the stock tank bondo'd out? The paint looks great on it, and I love the old style side covers - makes the bike lighter and airier.

I'm sure you've been enjoying that one!

Mark
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #14827
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Which three bikes. I think the terra is aslightly heavier than the DR but I am sure it makes more than 30hp.

CW-405 lbs, 58hp. My DR fully fueled no tools is 325lbs
In the latest issue: KLX250S/WR250R/CRF250L.....sorry wasn't referring to the Terra. For comparison (all weights dry):

CRF: 308lbs, 20hp
WR: 289lbs, 25hp (I was expecting less weight and more power)
KLX: 287lbs, 20hp

DR350: 287lbs, 30hp.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #14828
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
In the latest issue: KLX250S/WR250R/CRF250L.....sorry wasn't referring to the Terra. For comparison (all weights dry):

CRF: 308lbs, 20hp
WR: 289lbs, 25hp (I was expecting less weight and more power)
KLX: 287lbs, 20hp

DR350: 287lbs, 30hp.
Just a noob but wouldn't these "dry" weights go up A LOT more for water-cooled bikes than air-cooled as they become "wet" weights? Looks to me like the DR350's advantage would be even greater using that comparison.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #14829
shootmymime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Meant to comment earlier - stunning bike! I personally liked the round light and yellow plate but the Baja light looks good too. I very much appreciate the aesthetic of the person that built this one up....a modern Penton!

Is that the stock tank bondo'd out? The paint looks great on it, and I love the old style side covers - makes the bike lighter and airier.

I'm sure you've been enjoying that one!

Mark
Thanks, yeah not bad for $600. i also forgot i put some bark busters on as well, currently the yellow covers are off but i think i will rit dye them red to match, maybe the white baja cover as well. we will see tho... The prev owner put the penton stickers on the tank. i will take them off because its not a penton. just waiting for some others that i like the look of them when i find em. I dont know a thing about the gas tank. its medal but no clue if its from another bike or just been smoothed. also it has the air box mod done. but yes its a blast bike to ride!
shootmymime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #14830
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Just a noob but wouldn't these "dry" weights go up A LOT more for water-cooled bikes than air-cooled as they become "wet" weights? Looks to me like the DR350's advantage would be even greater using that comparison.
Maybe, though they don't hold all that much coolant (maybe 1-2 quarts?), so the advantage wouldn't be that much more....I just found it interesting that the top contenders from the big 3 for the same target market as the DR was have bikes that are roughly the same weight or more, and 2/3 the power of the DR. And they are more complicated (RuggedEx's unfortunate experience notwithstanding, liquid cooling, FI, etc are more complex than aircooled and carbs).
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #14831
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
hey does anyone have any info on doing the RMX swingarm swap on a dr 350? I have tried to research it and havent found alot of good info on what exactly needs to be done. From my understanding you have to add a spacer to the right side of the swingarm to get the linkage to line up and shave down the wheel spacers or spread the swingarm with a jack to fit a 350 wheel. I have made spacers to fit the swingarm but, im confused as to what to do about the wheel spacing. Is the swingarm built to be offset... or will the wheel now sit to the left? I shaved down each side equally and the rim seems to sit offset to the left which should be on center if the swingarm is also offset. This is assuming that my wheel is perfectly straight and the axle is perpendicular to the swingarm. I have been messing around with this setup on a spare dr 250 frame for some time, I just don't want to basically guess and throw this on my daily rider and have it be potentially dangerous and ride crooked, or prematurely wear out tires, chain and sprockets,etc. The only option i can really see is to make a jig and measure everything out to see that its all lined up correctly. Before I do all of this I just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with doing the swap or any advice.

Thanks,
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #14832
djpreston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Decomp

Hi there,

I'm looking for a decompression lever and cable for my '93 DR350S, anyone have a spare and willing to ship to South Africa please...these wonderful bikes are very scarce in SA.

I have seen this one on ebay..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LT250...bbf0c0&vxp=mtr

Will it work? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #14833
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpreston View Post
Hi there,

I'm looking for a decompression lever and cable for my '93 DR350S, anyone have a spare and willing to ship to South Africa please...these wonderful bikes are very scarce in SA.

I have seen this one on ebay..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LT250...bbf0c0&vxp=mtr

Will it work? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
or try this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-D...a&vxp=mtr#shId

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #14834
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,735
I need a good DR350 frame with a clean transferable title.

Send a PM if you can help, I would consider buying a trashed dr just for the frame, I could pick it up if one is anywhere near N.Carolina so you won't have to ship.

I am assuming all years for the DR shared the same frame?

Thanks in advance,

mas335 screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:21 PM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #14835
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
front fender

does anyone have a side view picture of the front fender Jesse is selling? would you please post.