a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
$960 is a steal for 97! Congrats!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #14852
pdegroote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Eh? New acquisition: Dr 350. Some issues...

I bought a 98 dr 350 a few days ago. The previous owner told me he had starting problems, and the carb needed cleaning. At home, I tried to start the engine, but it produced a lot of white smoke, smelling like oil being burnt. i
I switched off the engine immediately. I then removed the carb. I noticed the overflow tube, that should be hanging downwards was tied to the frame in an upward position. (No overflow possible..) I also noticed the presence of a watery, but slightly oily fluid in the connection between carb and airbox. I drained it. I then drained the carter removing what assumed to be old oil... When removing the drain plug, I ran into the same liquid I found in the airbox...
The gas tank was about 1/3 full.

I contacted the owner, asking about any details on the problems, and how much fuel he thought was in the gas tank... He answered that he recently filled up (full tank) and didn't drive more than a few miles...
I asked if he had ever left the petcock in the open position.. He answered that he always left it "open".

I assume the following has happened: the float was stuck. The petcock open and the tank full. The overflow drain was disabled, as the tube was connected to high into the chassis. The result is that a lot of fuel has drained from the tank, through the carb, airbox and carter vent into the carter. The fluid level in the carter now being very high, every time one tries to start, excess fluid is pushed through the carter vent, into airbox, into carb... The oil/fuel mix made for the white smoke and smell.

After the oil change, the engine starts and runs.

Question:
Does anyone suspect any major damage internally? My next check will be the camshaft and valves for excessive wear and clearance.
Is the scenario I described possible? Anyone has a better explanation?
What, besides cam and valves needs to be checked, knowing that most likely the engine has run no more than a total of a few minutes on the oil/fuel mixture, at idle speed...

Rgds
Patrick
pdegroote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #14853
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegroote View Post
I bought a 98 dr 350 a few days ago. The previous owner told me he had starting problems, and the carb needed cleaning. At home, I tried to start the engine, but it produced a lot of white smoke, smelling like oil being burnt. i
I switched off the engine immediately. I then removed the carb. I noticed the overflow tube, that should be hanging downwards was tied to the frame in an upward position. (No overflow possible..) I also noticed the presence of a watery, but slightly oily fluid in the connection between carb and airbox. I drained it. I then drained the carter removing what assumed to be old oil... When removing the drain plug, I ran into the same liquid I found in the airbox...

I contacted the owner, asking about any details on the problems, and how much fuel he thought was in the gas tank... He answered that he recently filled up (full tank) and didn't drive more than a few miles...
I asked if he had ever left the petcock in the open position.. He answered that he always left it "open".

I assume the following has happened: the float was stuck. The petcock open and the tank full. The overflow drain was disabled, as the tube was connected to high into the chassis. The result is that a lot of fuel has drained from the tank, through the carb, airbox and carter vent into the carter. The fluid level in the carter now being very high, every time one tries to start, excess fluid is pushed through the carter vent, into airbox, into carb... The oil/fuel mix made for the white smoke and smell.

Question:
Does anyone suspect any major damage internally? My next check will be the camshaft and valves for excessive wear and clearance.
What, besides cam and valves needs to be checked, knowing that most likely the engine has run no more than a total of a few minutes on the oil/fuel mixture, at idle speed...

Rgds
Patrick
You could have damaged any or all of the bearings in the engine, since the fuel can thin out the oil to the point of uselessness. But if it was only run a very short time at idle, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Personally, I probably wouldn't even go to the trouble of checking the cam and valves, I'd just listen for any unusual noises after changing the oil and fixing the carb. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect the top end. I'm not sure it's worth tearing the whole engine apart to check everything.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #14854
pdegroote
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
You could have damaged any or all of the bearings in the engine, since the fuel can thin out the oil to the point of uselessness. But if it was only run a very short time at idle, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Personally, I probably wouldn't even go to the trouble of checking the cam and valves, I'd just listen for any unusual noises after changing the oil and fixing the carb. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect the top end. I'm not sure it's worth tearing the whole engine apart to check everything.
Judging by the viscosity of what came out of the drain, I'd consider it far beyond the point of uselessness...I didn't hear any suspect noises when running the engine.

Btw: to check the oil level, does one have to screw in the plug all the way? Or just insert and remove to check?
BMW R100R (sold)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #14855
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:

Question:

Rgds
Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Yes, what you describe seems possible. Major internal damage? I don't know. Hopefully not. With the fresh oil in it, run it until it get's hot and then change the oil again (a second oil change to get any residual fuel out).

Then, I would ride it like I stole it and see what happens. If it doesn't blow up or start making crazy sounds, then I'd never worry about it again. If it did suffer major internal damage, then I don't think you are going to spend any more money riding it now, anyway.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #14856
WMURider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
$960 is a steal for 97! Congrats!
Thanks! It was the perfect deal.
WMURider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #14857
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Btw: to check the oil level, does one have to screw in the plug all the way? Or just insert and remove to check?
No - hold bike upright, just put dipstick back in without screwing it down.

Also, you are lucky previous owner couldn't get it to run. It probably saved the motor from being operated with dangerously thinned out oil. I agree with Greg - run it a bit as is, change oil once more, and just enjoy it.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #14858
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi Patrick,

Yes, what you describe seems possible. Major internal damage? I don't know. Hopefully not. With the fresh oil in it, run it until it get's hot and then change the oil again (a second oil change to get any residual fuel out).

Then, I would ride it like I stole it and see what happens. If it doesn't blow up or start making crazy sounds, then I'd never worry about it again. If it did suffer major internal damage, then I don't think you are going to spend any more money riding it now, anyway.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
+1 to gregs advice.

if you bent a rod you'd have barely enough compression. Greg's test will test everything and if she blows then it's kientech big bore time!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #14859
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Question In search of source for '96 DR350S purple frame paint?

Does anyone know of a source for the purple frame paint on my 1996 DR350/441S, as well as other 350 and 650 models of that era? I only need a small amount to do touch ups. ColorRite.com only shows 30H-Special White-4037 for my year, which would be for the white metal gas tank.

Original owner of 1996 DR350/441SET,

Jeff (SoPaRider)
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #14860
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
No - hold bike upright, just put dipstick back in without screwing it down.

Also, you are lucky previous owner couldn't get it to run. It probably saved the motor from being operated with dangerously thinned out oil. I agree with Greg - run it a bit as is, change oil once more, and just enjoy it.
Don't forget that you have to run the engine for a few minutes before you check the oil - as you are checking in the oil tank but oil can drain back dowin into the engine when the bike is not run for some time. Just put 1.8 Litres in after you have drained the engine AND the tank (plug on frome downtube in front of engine) and you should be fine.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #14861
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
keintech signals

Just installed Keintech blinkers. freakin sweet

never kick or break one off again.

I am probs the only idiot with that problem but Jesse's signals are a sweet fix!!
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #14862
pdegroote
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Don't forget that you have to run the engine for a few minutes before you check the oil - as you are checking in the oil tank but oil can drain back dowin into the engine when the bike is not run for some time. Just put 1.8 Litres in after you have drained the engine AND the tank (plug on frome downtube in front of engine) and you should be fine.
Ok. Thanks all for your input. Oil was drained as per service manual. I am abroad know, but upon my return next week I'll follow the advice. Will keep you posted about the outcome.
Rgds
Patrick
BMW R100R (sold)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #14863
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Nice collection of bikes there Trippda. Those signals look very bright, how is the visibility from the back?
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #14864
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,554
Jesse sent me Jesse Exhaust! Can't wait to hear it... It will replace ObnoxiousTM Freeflow.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #14865
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Jesse sent me Jesse Exhaust! Can't wait to hear it... It will replace ObnoxiousTM Freeflow.
That's Great Alfa!!

I'm pretty happy with my FMF Powercore. Did some carb tuning and greasing this past weekend and my DR is running top notch! I can't believe the little things that I have done to this bike and it just gets better and better! All she ever needed was some love...
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote