User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #14881
daverbmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Sprocket swap

I am toying with the idea of riding my '91 DR350S 1000 miles each way from eastern North Dakota to SE British Columbia, on highways the whole way. Once I get to BC I will see steeper rocky logging roads that require lower gearing. Currently my bike is set up so it's at 6000 rpm at 60 mph. I read that this is a good middle ground for dual sport riding. However I would like to overdrive it a bit more to get the RPMs down a bit and cruise at as low of RPM as possible at 65 mph. It does have the power for any taller gearing on the pavement right? Or is there a point you get to that you start lugging the engine and mpg goes down and temps go up or something? I would then like to bring a smaller sprocket and swap its place with the larger one once I get into BC. This is only a 10 minute job or so and seems to make a lot of sense to me. Does anyone else do that?

Also, kind of a newbie question, but what is the gearing cable fed off of? Will the speeds be correct for say a 13 tooth AND a 15 tooth sprocket? I do not think so, but I thought I would ask. I have a feeling with the larger front sprocket I will be a few mph faster than indicated and with a smaller front sprocket be a few mph slower than indicated.
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #14882
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Not sure on the gearing preferences, but your speedometer is driven off of your front wheel, so gearing makes no difference.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #14883
daverbmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Excellent, thank you. I guess I should have known that too had I put 2 and 2 together. Hopefully someone will chime in on the gearing then.
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #14884
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
Excellent, thank you. I guess I should have known that too had I put 2 and 2 together. Hopefully someone will chime in on the gearing then.
I think your primary and final drive is different than my "98SE, but here's my impression. One tooth on the front seemed to change about 400 to 500 RPM. Stock is 15 on mine and is a good all around compromise. 14 is a little low for hiway speeds, 16 felt more relaxed but I didn't feel it would pull a much higher speed. Maybe a little too tall. Seems to me Suzuki got the gearing about right on this bike. I can use all three front sprockets with the same chain. You might need to get out and give it a try to find what works for you.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #14885
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
I am toying with the idea of riding my '91 DR350S 1000 miles each way from eastern North Dakota to SE British Columbia, on highways the whole way. Once I get to BC I will see steeper rocky logging roads that require lower gearing. Currently my bike is set up so it's at 6000 rpm at 60 mph. I read that this is a good middle ground for dual sport riding. However I would like to overdrive it a bit more to get the RPMs down a bit and cruise at as low of RPM as possible at 65 mph. It does have the power for any taller gearing on the pavement right? Or is there a point you get to that you start lugging the engine and mpg goes down and temps go up or something? I would then like to bring a smaller sprocket and swap its place with the larger one once I get into BC. This is only a 10 minute job or so and seems to make a lot of sense to me. Does anyone else do that?

Also, kind of a newbie question, but what is the gearing cable fed off of? Will the speeds be correct for say a 13 tooth AND a 15 tooth sprocket? I do not think so, but I thought I would ask. I have a feeling with the larger front sprocket I will be a few mph faster than indicated and with a smaller front sprocket be a few mph slower than indicated.
For highway use, I run a 15/41 combo on my 1993 DR350 (dirt). This even works very well for non-steep trail work. When the going gets a bit rougher/steeper, I need to swap out to a 14/41 combo. As you say, the swap is very easy on the DR350.

I've never fit a 16 countershaft sprocket. The reason I haven't is that I would loose the case protector in the process (I already had to grind a bit on it to get the 15 countershaft sprocket to fit without rubbing). I'm not sure I would gain much by fitting a 16. On flat roads I bet it wouldn't be a problem. But I predict I'd need to drop a gear to get up some hills, etc.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #14886
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Grips are usually around 35-40 watts... About the same as your brake light. That's only 3 amps. Doesn't take much of a wire for that.
The B/W wire is ground and the brown wire appears to be for a parking light (if there is one on your bike) as it is connected to the battery in the "park" position. It is also connected to the tail light and license plate light.

Keep in mind your brake light only draws 21 watts and is on for short periods of time. The grips as stated can draw 40 watts and are typically on for much longer periods than the brake light so there is more opportunity for heating.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #14887
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Here are a couple of links that may help with wire gauge selection, etc.

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/p...t_circuits.htm

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/p...lculations.htm

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #14888
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Going to do my valves today or tomorrow. Depends if I break down and go get food or not..

To clarify, the intake valves are carb side and exhaust is exhaust side. (Probably a really stupid question)

Is there any reason why I can't use a tiny box wrench or small pliers to adjust the valves? I ask because I have those. The Tool/deck screw I would have to go to my shop to pick it up (hindsight) and it would make the engine not so stone cold when I get back.. Im off today and the bike is my DD so every day except today the bike will be used.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #14889
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Neher View Post
Going to do my valves today or tomorrow. Depends if I break down and go get food or not..

To clarify, the intake valves are carb side and exhaust is exhaust side. (Probably a really stupid question)

Is there any reason why I can't use a tiny box wrench or small pliers to adjust the valves? I ask because I have those. The Tool/deck screw I would have to go to my shop to pick it up (hindsight) and it would make the engine not so stone cold when I get back.. Im off today and the bike is my DD so every day except today the bike will be used.
Yup, exhaust-front/exhaust, intake-back/carb. Unless you've got a square box end, that's probably not gonna work. I just drilled a small hole in a piece of steel and squared it out with a small jewellers file. Works good. I used to have to make most all of my own special tools cuz there was no other option.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #14890
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome, thanks.
I was robbed, the girlfriend made me bring her food to work, so Can't do it til saturday night. Ill grab the deck screws while at work.

Thanks again.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #14891
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I've always used a pair of pliers for the adjuster, and a small closed end wrench for the nut. Not really a big problem, though I can see the proper tool (bought or made) would make things a little easier (not a lot!)
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #14892
dirtyron
never grew up

Oddometer: 250
make a simple valve adjustment tool from a square head deck screw.you'll figure it out
dirtyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #14893
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
I run 16/41 for longer road rides. 6K rpm at GPS 65mph.

For general farting around, 15/41 or 14/41.

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #14894
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Put a new fender and flush mount signals on the DR tonight, they look great, thanks to Jesse @ Kientech.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #14895
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461
Laugh

My Jesse exhaust is here! My Jesse exhaust is here!