Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #14926
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
looks good, what are the dimensions of those Keintech signals?
They are about 3.75" x 3.5" x 1.5" The tuck in nicely though under the rack.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #14927
pdegroote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi Patrick,

Yes, what you describe seems possible. Major internal damage? I don't know. Hopefully not. With the fresh oil in it, run it until it get's hot and then change the oil again (a second oil change to get any residual fuel out).

Then, I would ride it like I stole it and see what happens. If it doesn't blow up or start making crazy sounds, then I'd never worry about it again. If it did suffer major internal damage, then I don't think you are going to spend any more money riding it now, anyway.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Follow-up:

I've done a test-drive yesterday and it starts quite well... starting the engine was no trouble, driving ok... untill it stalled some 500 meters further... I feared the worst, but then remembered I'd forgotten to open the petcock...

I restarted and ran it untill it was warm. No strange engine noises, nothing out of the ordinary.... I did have some issues in finding neutral at every stop, so I guess I need to check the clutch thrust washers and the bolt in there.... So plan for next spare moment: drain the oil, check the clutch, grease all linkages and bearings, check the cam and valves and I should be ok for some driving...

Regards

Patrick
BMW R100R (sold)
pdegroote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #14928
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Its quieter than my loud can I currently have on. Can't compare to stock... however... I can barely start my bike with this exhaust.. it will require a rejet..

Any of you boys know what jetting I should run at 300-2000 ft elevation? Stock airbox.. will mod airbox too.
I have a jesse modified muffler, CV carb, uncut airbox with snorkle tube. I run the stock CV jetting for my 1993 model (direct from the book). Works great for me and I live at 2200 feet and ride up from here almost exclusively.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #14929
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegroote View Post
Follow-up:

I've done a test-drive yesterday and it starts quite well... starting the engine was no trouble, driving ok... untill it stalled some 500 meters further... I feared the worst, but then remembered I'd forgotten to open the petcock...

I restarted and ran it untill it was warm. No strange engine noises, nothing out of the ordinary.... I did have some issues in finding neutral at every stop, so I guess I need to check the clutch thrust washers and the bolt in there.... So plan for next spare moment: drain the oil, check the clutch, grease all linkages and bearings, check the cam and valves and I should be ok for some driving...

Regards

Patrick
Awesome news! When I bought my DR350 back in 2009, I had to replace a missing shift drum bolt (bent the "L" shaped bracket when I did that and had to go back in afterward to straighten it)...I also clearanced the basket at the same time. It works a treat now unless I really heat up the clutch doing things I really should have had lower gearing for in the first place.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #14930
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Its quieter than my loud can I currently have on. Can't compare to stock... however... I can barely start my bike with this exhaust.. it will require a rejet..

Any of you boys know what jetting I should run at 300-2000 ft elevation? Stock airbox.. will mod airbox too.

A call back to jesse should remedy this situation. He gave me a baseline to start with based on my set up carb, needle, airbox, etc
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #14931
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Thanks, I intended to call him today. Yesterday was Sunday. His shop was closed..
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #14932
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Well, it's in the garage now. Someone gave it a terrible half-assed paintjob but it does start and run with no unseemly noises. Stalls as soon as you try to get on the throttle but I plan on cleaning out the carb just as SOP with every "new" bike I get. Any recommendations for a quality rebuild kit if it comes to that? I'll try to post up a picture tomorrow, it was too dark for a decent shot when I got it home today.
Just an update on the bike:

After a good carb cleaning, it now runs relatively normally. I'm waiting on new O-rings and a float valve assembly to finish up the carb, but I couldn't resist putting it back on the bike to test it and run it up and down the street a bit. I discovered that the clutch slips pretty badly, but it could be due to the fact that the clutch cable is almost frozen. I have a new one on order.

Other than that, I just put on new turn signals, grips, and mirrors to replace the torn up old ones, installed a new air filter, and removed the kickstand and clutch starter interlocks. It's starting to come together.

On a related note, I'm looking for a luggage rack. I have a pair of Pelican cases that I want to mount and it would be nice to just buy a rack. However, I can build one too, so I'm not willing to shell out a a couple hundred for a new rack, so if anyone happens to have an old rack lying around that they want to get rid of relatively cheaply, let me know. Thanks!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #14933
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldUKBikerGuy View Post
I emailed him from the UK a couple of months ago about ordering a pumper carb kit; his wife said that they weren't doing any international shipping anymore. Maybe that has changed now?

Still, it made me reconsider my plans and so saved me lots of money, both on the carb and future gas mileage.
some more info to help support this theory, I emailed him about frame guards (the ones by the footpegs he used to get, they were aluminum ones..) He dont deal international anymore, but he did point me to a company in Austrailia that still makes the frame guards and sells them. PRetty pricy to get a set here though. (close to 150 US dollars..)

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #14934
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
some more info to help support this theory, I emailed him about frame guards (the ones by the footpegs he used to get, they were aluminum ones..) He dont deal international anymore, but he did point me to a company in Austrailia that still makes the frame guards and sells them. PRetty pricy to get a set here though. (close to 150 US dollars..)

What company still makes them? Maybe we can do a bulk purchase to keep the cost down?
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #14935
Bridude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Corbin seat for DR350

Hi,

I don't want to break any rules...where/what thread do I advertise a Corbin seat for a DR350??

Thanks!
Bridude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #14936
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridude View Post
Hi,

I don't want to break any rules...where/what thread do I advertise a Corbin seat for a DR350??

Thanks!
I don't think anybody minds if you post it here. But, normally, here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 , under "parts. "Then post a link to it here.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #14937
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Cam Chain Tensioner

My cam chain measures about 127.5mm across 21 pins(center to center), spec is 128.9 so that seems OK. The chain has about 20K miles on it.

The sliders show no wear.

So I installed the tensioner per the book and then removed the spring before pulling out the tensioner. The push rod was 3 clicks from being fully extended.

Is this normal?

Does anyone know what the 21 pin measurement is on a new chain?

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #14938
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridude View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Checked the flea market but didn't see it. Post a link or the deets!!!
I like.

jeeze, the list of crap I want to buy for my DR is long. But getting shorter!
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #14939
Bridude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
DR350 Corbin seat for sale!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippda View Post
Checked the flea market but didn't see it. Post a link or the deets!!!
I like.

jeeze, the list of crap I want to buy for my DR is long. But getting shorter!

OK...here are the details!

I bought my DR350 a few months ago and it came with a Corbin seat as well as the original seat, which I prefer. The guy I bought the bike from bought this seat himself about 2-3 years ago. He paid around $350 for it. It is in great shape with no rips tears, cuts, etc.

I am willing to sell it for $225.

Below is a pic of the seat on my bike;

photo storage
Bridude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #14940
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558

Which one is the 250 and which the 350?