Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #14941
Mick350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post

Which one is the 250 and which the 350?

Hmm, not sure.

My 350 has 14D20 on it. . . but mine is the dirt one.
Mick350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #14942
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:

what I found is the 15d20 is the 250.
14d10 can be both.

NOT SURE!
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #14943
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
My cam chain measures about 127.5mm across 21 pins(center to center), spec is 128.9 so that seems OK. The chain has about 20K miles on it.

The sliders show no wear.

So I installed the tensioner per the book and then removed the spring before pulling out the tensioner. The push rod was 3 clicks from being fully extended.

Is this normal?

Does anyone know what the 21 pin measurement is on a new chain?
Great question and one to which I do not know the answer. Of course, there can be wear in the cogs, chain, and guides. All of these can add up with nothing being clearly outside of the service limits. I do know this, after I replaced my cogs and chain (guides looked great), I still didn't have very many clicks available on my tensioner (I don't recall how many). That tensioner seems to have a great many clicks, but I do not think very many are ever available, even when new.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #14944
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:

If you go to Ron Ayers or similar you can look at the parts diagram and get the model number for your year.

There is also a "where used" function. I put in 32900-14D10 and got 1990 DR250S as well as 90-96 DR350 street models.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #14945
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Cam Chain Tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Great question and one to which I do not know the answer. Of course, there can be wear in the cogs, chain, and guides. All of these can add up with nothing being clearly outside of the service limits. I do know this, after I replaced my cogs and chain (guides looked great), I still didn't have very many clicks available on my tensioner (I don't recall how many). That tensioner seems to have a great many clicks, but I do not think very many are ever available, even when new.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Thanks. I suspected that might be the case.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #14946
ShaneInDenver
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hello guys. Fist post here What a great resource your forum is. I will be going to look at a 1995 DR350 dirt model with 4,500 miles later today. This is not my first bike, but will be my first dual sport if all goes according to plan. I have read through as many pages of this thread as I can stand for the moment and feel like I have a pretty good understanding of this bike and maybe what to look for. Any advice from some of the more seasoned owners would be appreciated.
ShaneInDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #14947
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneInDenver View Post
Hello guys. Fist post here What a great resource your forum is. I will be going to look at a 1995 DR350 dirt model with 4,500 miles later today. This is not my first bike, but will be my first dual sport if all goes according to plan. I have read through as many pages of this thread as I can stand for the moment and feel like I have a pretty good understanding of this bike and maybe what to look for. Any advice from some of the more seasoned owners would be appreciated.
Know what you are getting. A dirt does not have a odo to tell miles. Only a small trip odo. Maybe this is a street that lost its head badge and thus no longer registerable. Kick start? In Ca even a dirt bike needs a head badge to get a green sticker.

If it starts both hot and cold it will most likey be worth a sale.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #14948
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
What company still makes them? Maybe we can do a bulk purchase to keep the cost down?
http://www.bboffroad.com.au/dr_250_350_1990_-_1996.htm

There ya go!! Let me know who's gettin em, if anyone!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #14949
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
http://www.bboffroad.com.au/dr_250_350_1990_-_1996.htm

There ya go!! Let me know who's gettin em, if anyone!

Those frame guards are nice, but fricken expensive. I did send an email so we could at least try to negotiate something.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #14950
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Those frame guards are nice, but fricken expensive. I did send an email so we could at least try to negotiate something.

First response. Buying 5 will get the cost to $416 and then $90 for air mail. I think if we had a decent group we could work out a decent deal. Once they get here it is $5.00 shipping box, correct?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #14951
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post

Regards,

Gregory Bender

when my bike got to 25k I replaced just the cam chain. it's been a while but IIRC the adjuster was at 3 clicks. after I replaced the chain it was at 12 clicks. I believe the shaft had 25 splines on it. it still had a little wear left but replaced before any problems cropped up...hope that helps

99 dr350
78 r80
saddlsor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #14952
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
First response. Buying 5 will get the cost to $416 and then $90 for air mail. I think if we had a decent group we could work out a decent deal. Once they get here it is $5.00 shipping box, correct?
Just my two cents: $90 USD from Australia for five sets does not seem bad to me (just thinking of other shipping charges I've paid bring things from Europe or Australia to the USA). I do not think you will be able to get away with $5.00 USA domestic shipping, though. I doubt the guards will fit in the flat rate boxes/envelops.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #14953
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlsor View Post
when my bike got to 25k I replaced just the cam chain. it's been a while but IIRC the adjuster was at 3 clicks. after I replaced the chain it was at 12 clicks. I believe the shaft had 25 splines on it. it still had a little wear left but replaced before any problems cropped up...hope that helps
Thanks saddlsor, that is good to know :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #14954
ShaneInDenver
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I picked up the bike a few days ago from a guy in Colorado Springs. It is a 95, milage is pretty much unknown since there is no odometer other than an aftermarket computer. Seems to be in pretty decent shape, but a few things are going on.

It is sometimes hard to find neutral and it will randomly want to pop out of gear. This has only happened maybe 1 or 2 times. I am thinking I should first check the shift drum bolt first and make sure it is tight, sound loose to me.

Next, when ridding up a large incline for a few minutes its as if the bike runs out of fuel and dies. Quite scary for me, luckily there were no cars behind me. This one I am a bit unsure on, since the bike seems to run well on flat surfaces. My first thought is to replace the petcock?

I plan on going through the bike and giving it a good once over. It starts on the second or third kick and otherwise seems to be in good shape. I am thinking adjust the valves, change the oil, grease all the fittings. What else would you seasoned owners go through?

I paid $1,000 for the bike, which I feel like is a pretty fair price.

ShaneInDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #14955
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneInDenver View Post
I picked up the bike a few days ago from a guy in Colorado Springs. It is a 95, milage is pretty much unknown since there is no odometer other than an aftermarket computer. Seems to be in pretty decent shape, but a few things are going on.

It is sometimes hard to find neutral and it will randomly want to pop out of gear. This has only happened maybe 1 or 2 times. I am thinking I should first check the shift drum bolt first and make sure it is tight, sound loose to me.

Next, when ridding up a large incline for a few minutes its as if the bike runs out of fuel and dies. Quite scary for me, luckily there were no cars behind me. This one I am a bit unsure on, since the bike seems to run well on flat surfaces. My first thought is to replace the petcock?

I plan on going through the bike and giving it a good once over. It starts on the second or third kick and otherwise seems to be in good shape. I am thinking adjust the valves, change the oil, grease all the fittings. What else would you seasoned owners go through?

I paid $1,000 for the bike, which I feel like is a pretty fair price.

Looks identical to my bike when I bought it last summer http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824069
Welcome to hell.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote