User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
R1200 series Throttle Body Sync Pictorial

I know I promised this a long time ago, but the DVD took over and not only have I not gotten the TB Sync done, I haven’t been riding nearly as much as much as I wanted either.

Anyhow, here are the basic steps I used to do a TB sync at home. Notice I do not do an idle sync, because on the 1200 it is not possible. Nor is it possible to adjust the idle speed. This is all done via the stepper motors by the computer.

NOTE: Read the whole procedure before beginning.

CAUTION: I can do this in a few minutes, so I do not generally use a fan to keep the engine cool. But many take a little longer, and it is recommended that a large fan is used to ensure you do not over heat the motor.

First make sure the bike is at full temperature. I like to take a minimum 10 minute ride. I also do the TB sync AFTER adjusting the valves to ensure the best results. See this thread(click here) for details.

If you still have your carbon canister on you will have this hose, otherwise you will have a cap here like the other side. Put one hose from the Twinmax on here.

Here is the right side, and you put the other hose from the Twinmax here where the rubber cap is.

Here is a photo of the Twinmax hose installed.

On this TB Sync I disconnected the stepper motors. I had the power off when I did this, and made sure the connectors wouldn’t make contact.

Some say this is the right way to do it as it parks the stepper motors before starting, and ensures they do not affect the TB sync off idle.

I have done it both ways and have not been able to definitively detect a difference.

With the engine off, I adjust the Twinmax at near maximum sensitivity to make sure the needle is centered.

I then start the bike and check it at idle. It looks the same as above, except you will notice the needle swinging back and forth less than 1-0-1 across the center. This is normal, and not adjustable at home. It shouldn’t need it anyhow. If yours is off center by more than half of one number, in other words the needle is swinging back and forth with nearly a “1” as its center, you need to have a dealer check it out. I have NOT ever seen this, but it is possible.

I then take the rpm’s up to 2K and check the Twinmax for center. If it is not, I have to adjust it.

Note: I use a throttle lock to hold it steady, otherwise it is hard to not vary the RPM a little.

Using a 10mm wrench I loosen the lock nut.

Now I adjust the cable using the knurled nut and my fingers. In this photo you can see me adjusting it, and that it is off center. I adjust it until it is centered.

Note: Before starting the adjustment process, make sure you have at least 1mm slack in the cables, and never adjust one side so that all the slack is gone. If you remove the slack, put it back and go adjust the other side to sync.

Here is another view of adjusting the cable using the knurled adjuster.

I then take it up to 4K RPM and check it again.

Now I use two wrenches to tighten the locking nut. I tighten it to just snug, and check my TB sync again. It is easy to tighten the nut and throw off the sync.

Here is a close-up of the wrenches.

NOTE: Sometimes it is hard to get the nut snug, and keep the sync exact. To do this I snug down the nuts, then use a pair of pliers and gently turn the knurled know to get the sync exact. Then finish tightening the lock nut to 4nm.

A final check shows the sync dead on and you are done.

Remove the Twinmax hoses, reinstall the rubber caps and/or hose, and go for a ride!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
I've always thought this procedure looked too easy when i've watched the dealer do it.. I guess it is easy. THanks for the pictorial.. but it looks even better on your DVD
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 43,878
People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them how much I prefer the 1200 system They just don't get it.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Laugh Outstanding Jim!

Great photos and description...thank you very much..

Twinmax costs how much? Who carries them?

Appreciated..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Looks pretty affordable to me.

http://www.adventuremotogear.com/twi...B3FBM5E3ENM3L3
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Great photos and description...thank you very much..

Twinmax costs how much? Who carries them?

Appreciated..
Thanks,

Nearly all BMW dealers, and many onlne parts houses carry them. They run about $75, but you could do the same with carb siyx, or a manometer.

Jim
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
How do I get this infamous DVD?
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
MarcParnes
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_Poor
How do I get this infamous DVD?
Hi,
I have them in stock for same day shipping. You can place an order here or give me a call to place the order over the phone. My phone number is on the website

Marc
BMW Wheel Balancer and Tools
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thanks
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,916
Thanks Jim, just referenced this. I guess the balance at idle isnt that important as it is at 2 and 4 grand? I figured it would idel smoother with the needle centered at idle. But after setting it at 2 and 4 thousand it is a little off at idle. As soon as the slack comes out though it moves right over

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
Tslepebull
Snakecharmer

Oddometer: 264
Jim to be sure I understood you. Unplug the stepper motors and keep them unplugged during the whole sync procedure, then re-plug them after adjusting the throttle cables. Or is unplugging the stepper motors just for checking the sync at idle and all adjustment of cables is done with the stepper motors connected?
Tslepebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslepebull
Jim to be sure I understood you. Unplug the stepper motors and keep them unplugged during the whole sync procedure, then re-plug them after adjusting the throttle cables. Or is unplugging the stepper motors just for checking the sync at idle and all adjustment of cables is done with the stepper motors connected?
There is debate about this over at MRN. I have done it both ways several times and not found a difference with them plugged or unplugged.

I do it plugged in.

Jim

PS Make sure the bike is turned off, and shut down completely, before plugging or unplugging the stepper motors.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Jim, I started to do a TB sync, but have a question.

You don't seem to mention the "zero" knob on the twin max. Does this mean you don't use it?

When I connected the TM and started my bike, the dial was swinging back and forth as you indicated, but it was way to one side of the guage, I can use the zero knob to get it centered over zero, but not sure if this is something I should do. Same thing when I bring up the rpms to 2000, I can center with the zero knob, but assume I should not touch it?

Sorry for the dumb questions,

greg
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

You are right, I neglected to mention the zero knob. This should be done after hooking up the Twinmax to the bike, but BEFORE starting the bike.

After you turn the Twinmax on, use the zero knob to center the needle at near maximum sensitivity.

Then start the bike, and adjust the BBS to center the needle. You did remove and clean the needle first, and set it to 1.5 turns, right?

After ensuring the BBS sets the needle to zero, you make sure your idle is 1100+1 50, and then adjust your off idle sync.

All this is assuming an 1100/1150. On the 1200, start the same, then skip the idle sync because it can't be adjusted on the 1200, and go to the off idle sync.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner
Jim, I started to do a TB sync, but have a question.

You don't seem to mention the "zero" knob on the twin max. Does this mean you don't use it?

When I connected the TM and started my bike, the dial was swinging back and forth as you indicated, but it was way to one side of the guage, I can use the zero knob to get it centered over zero, but not sure if this is something I should do. Same thing when I bring up the rpms to 2000, I can center with the zero knob, but assume I should not touch it?

Sorry for the dumb questions,

greg