User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,271
iPad Mini - retina display

I busted another iPad2 screen and seem to have scrambled its brain in the process. Before I think about repairs or junking it I'd like to know if anyone can provide firsthand experience about the mini with the retina display.
I mostly used the iPad2 for emailing, reading, and watching occasional episodes of My Name is Earl and South Park.
I'm dimly aware of the other tablets on the market but all of my other stuff is Mac and I don't want to deal with another platform.
Is it worth the extra money?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,642
I personally have to struggle to see the difference between the iPad Mini's with/without retina displays when using them for emailing, surfing or reading. Unless I blow up the same photo in each really, really big, it is hard for me to spot the difference. You might see some difference when streaming video, I never tried doing that in the store. I'd keep the extra $100 in my pocket, but I ride a KLR.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,230
Do you have a case?

Just wondering - I had mine for 3 years never come close...

if you have young kids, I get it.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
I personally have to struggle to see the difference between the iPad Mini's with/without retina displays when using them for emailing, surfing or reading. Unless I blow up the same photo in each really, really big, it is hard for me to spot the difference. You might see some difference when streaming video, I never tried doing that in the store. I'd keep the extra $100 in my pocket, but I ride a KLR.
I rode a KLR 250 so I know you're a sensible person. My milk crate was purple.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,131
Last week my grand daughter dumped a half bottle of orange juice in my maxed out 13" Macbook Air.

I found out two things.

The Macbook Air has liquid contact sensors on the motherboard.

The extended Apple warranty does not include fluid damage.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
moose97
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 124
When I looked at Mini's last (March?), I too couldn't tell the difference between the retina and non. I had decided on a budget of $300 for a tablet and was deciding between the non Mini, the Samsung and one other. I went with the non Mini. While I keep my laptop around for some other applications, I use the Mini most of the time. Looking back, I'm not sure I'd have spent the extra $100 on the retina just to have it (and yes, I understand it has a better processor too). I have the Magpul case just in case I drop it (have once) and am happy.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 783
I have the iPad mini with the Retina display. It's worth it. Text is clearer, photos look awesome, faster processor. Well worth the money.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
When I looked at Mini's last (March?), I too couldn't tell the difference between the retina and non. I had decided on a budget of $300 for a tablet and was deciding between the non Mini, the Samsung and one other. I went with the non Mini. While I keep my laptop around for some other applications, I use the Mini most of the time. Looking back, I'm not sure I'd have spent the extra $100 on the retina just to have it (and yes, I understand it has a better processor too). I have the Magpul case just in case I drop it (have once) and am happy.
Recently I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro that I'm loving. It's a world of improvement over the iBook. I've increasingly turned to the iPad but sharing photos, for instance, is so much easier with the laptop.
I'm also thinking about what I'll bring with me to Africa and think a mini would be easier to keep track of.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I have the iPad mini with the Retina display. It's worth it. Text is clearer, photos look awesome, faster processor. Well worth the money.
I see used retina display units on CL for under 300.00.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
moose97
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Recently I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro that I'm loving. It's a world of improvement over the iBook. I've increasingly turned to the iPad but sharing photos, for instance, is so much easier with the laptop.
I'm also thinking about what I'll bring with me to Africa and think a mini would be easier to keep track of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I see used retina display units on CL for under 300.00.
I love the size. My wife's full size iPad feels huge to me at this point. This thing is so light and the size is just like an oversized paperback book. I hate using the full size at this point. A used retina at $300 or less seems like a no brainier, but they were new when I got mine, so that wasn't an option. Good luck...
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 783
For real. I love the size of this thing. It goes with me everywhere.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,230
I use the keyboard on mine when I write e-mails,etc. and found the mini keyboard unacceptably small for me. If I need super portable, I take the iPhone anyway. And I omitted cellular internet, wifi only and saved another hundred fifty bucks.

I have the Air and I'm well pleased, my old first generation was getting terribly slow.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I have a mini without the retina display. Mrs KTM has one with the retina display.

I like hers better.......
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,409
Anyone that can't see the difference needs new glasses. I have the mini with retina, and for what I use it for, which is mostly reading and looking at a lot of PDF files, it's a killer little unit. Battery life is great, it's fast, just a slick little package.

My only regret was not buying the 3G version. I wouldn't use it all the time, but during my last trip for example, there were enough times that I could have used the 3G that I would have activated it for a month for the trip, and then just coasted till the next one. The extra $100+ for the 3G is kind of steep, but if I had it to do again, I wouldn't hesitate.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Retina is awesome

I went from iPad2 to the latest, largest, biggest memory, iPad with WiFi and cellular. It was pricey, but man! this thing is the shiznit

The retina display eases eye strain for me, makes viewing at night much better, HD movies and games pop, and the processor screams.

With the new business apps out, my MacBook Pro and Air sit idle. I'll be selling them as soon as I don't need to utilize a couple of Windows-only programs for work anymore (about another six months or so).

I labored over Mini vs iPad and I'm so glad I did not get the Mini. Yes, the Mini is really light, but the larger screen is totally worth the extra size.

Either way, Retinia is fantastic. Also, the Retina with the graphics hardware makes 3D games really cool to play
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: