User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,273
Fixing a Copper Pipe Drip

Trying to fix up my moms house to get sold. One story home with a basement. Just found a slight drip in a 4 inch horizontal drain pipe, the bathroom sink/shower drain into the pipe and the drip is just after a soldered elbow but five feet before the toilet joins (thank god). Does any of that spray on crap work? I am only in town for a few more days and was hoping to patch this up before I leave.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,929
As a real estate agent I would try to avoid a "band-aid" looking fix. An inspector will pick it
up and raise questions as to what else may have been maintained with duct tape and bailing wire.

If you are in a hurry to leave you can always disclose the issue and have it repaired properly later.

Home Depot does have a exterior sealer my son used on a similar situation in a rental property that has held.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Trying to fix up my moms house to get sold. One story home with a basement. Just found a slight drip in a 4 inch horizontal drain pipe, the bathroom sink/shower drain into the pipe and the drip is just after a soldered elbow but five feet before the toilet joins (thank god). Does any of that spray on crap work? I am only in town for a few more days and was hoping to patch this up before I leave.
Copper? sounds more like pvc or cast iron. in any case, it cuts like butter. I'd personally just take the sawzall out, cut a section out, and replace with the right pvc and a joint. Sawzall will cut through that like butter. it'd take longer to size up and buy the parts than it would to fix it.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,680
My drains are copper--the parts that aren't brass/bronze (not sure) castings, anyway. Even the soil stack.

Make sure you can separate the pipe halves far enough to shove a coupler in there before you start work or you'll have a bigger mess.

Short term, you could get one of those rubber sewer couplers to join the cut ends, but make sure it's for the kind of pipe you're working with. 4" iron, 4" plastic, and 4" copper all take different coupler types.

If there's room, I'd cut it and solder in a coupler. If, once cut, you see that the pipe is too corroded for service, you'll need to get a plumber in there to replace the whole run, so make sure you know who you're going to call ahead of time.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
My drains are copper--the parts that aren't brass/bronze (not sure) castings, anyway. Even the soil stack.

Make sure you can separate the pipe halves far enough to shove a coupler in there before you start work or you'll have a bigger mess.

Short term, you could get one of those rubber sewer couplers to join the cut ends, but make sure it's for the kind of pipe you're working with. 4" iron, 4" plastic, and 4" copper all take different coupler types.

If there's room, I'd cut it and solder in a coupler. If, once cut, you see that the pipe is too corroded for service, you'll need to get a plumber in there to replace the whole run, so make sure you know who you're going to call ahead of time.
goddang, serously? that's like so much effin' copper!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Is it leaking form a joint, or from the middle of a piece of pipe?

If near a joint, easy. Bernzomatic torch, flux and solder.
Sounds old enough it will have 'good' solder and be easy to re-flow.
Do everything you can to make sure as much water is dried out of the pipe as possible. Tough to get any heat into the metal if water is present.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

There is only 1/2 inch between the elbow and the fitting transitioning to PVC.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Copper? sounds more like pvc or cast iron. in any case, it cuts like butter. I'd personally just take the sawzall out, cut a section out, and replace with the right pvc and a joint. Sawzall will cut through that like butter. it'd take longer to size up and buy the parts than it would to fix it.
Copper.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
goddang, serously? that's like so much effin' copper!
Yeah, and it's all J-wall too, along with most of the fresh water plumbing.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
Is it leaking form a joint, or from the middle of a piece of pipe?

If near a joint, easy. Bernzomatic torch, flux and solder.
Sounds old enough it will have 'good' solder and be easy to re-flow.
Do everything you can to make sure as much water is dried out of the pipe as possible. Tough to get any heat into the metal if water is present.
The house is nearly empty, the only tools I have are a screwdriver and pliers.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There is only 1/2 inch between the elbow and the fitting transitioning to PVC.
So the vertical is PVC, and then a copper elbow and the horizontal run? Sounds like someone already had trouble with it.

Feel around on the copper past the leak to see if it seems solid. If it is, cut it in a place where you can work on it and solder in a PVC/Copper adapter, then install a short run of horizontal PVC and a PVC elbow to join up with the existing vertical. Be ready to punt and call a plumber if you discover that the horizontal run has copper only on the top half and the bottom is just copper-colored foil.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The house is nearly empty, the only tools I have are a screwdriver and pliers.
Call a plumber. If he can get to everything easily, he can probably be done in an hour.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So the vertical is PVC, and then a copper elbow and the horizontal run? Sounds like someone already had trouble with it.

Feel around on the copper past the leak to see if it seems solid. If it is, cut it in a place where you can work on it and solder in a PVC/Copper adapter, then install a short run of horizontal PVC and a PVC elbow to join up with the existing vertical. Be ready to punt and call a plumber if you discover that the horizontal run has copper only on the top half and the bottom is just copper-colored foil.
The horizontal drain used to be all copper, someone put a six foot section of PVC.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
68deluxe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Call a plumber. If he can get to everything easily, he can probably be done in an hour.
I have worked with a few plumbers, never saw any of them do anything in one hour. There is not enough room to get a pipe cutter on the drain because of the floor joists. I am just trying for a quick patch so I have time to arrange for a plumber. I am not paying after hours overtime.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
bcbullet
Breatheless

Oddometer: 447
Use a piece of rubber gasket material or an old innertube. Cut a square piece with scissors and then hose clamp over top of the leak. Use multiple clamps side by side if neccessary

If you can cut it and drop one end, use some vaseline and a Fernco coupling; cut drop, slip it all the way over one piece and then slide it over each piece of pipe. It will not look to ghetto this way either.

bcbullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: