User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #1
Lonestar2112 OP
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,876
Another Kayak thread

Question.....My wife and I are looking at getting into Kayaking this spring/summer. I am wondering what kind/brand/size to get. We are looking at slow water only, lakes, streams and NO ocean (at least for her, I may brave it later) I will eventually end up fishing off of mine. I expect that our four legged boy may join us (57lbs)

Me 6'6" and 240
She 5'9" and HWP

Our local REI rep suggested a Tarpon 120 for her and a 140 for me. Looking for thoughts.

I am in SoKali now, Austin before long and we travel to Colorado. Ideas on great trips are also appreciated.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #2
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 877
Hobie Mirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Question.....My wife and I are looking at getting into Kayaking this spring/summer. I am wondering what kind/brand/size to get. We are looking at slow water only, lakes, streams and NO ocean (at least for her, I may brave it later) I will eventually end up fishing off of mine. I expect that our four legged boy may join us (57lbs)

Me 6'6" and 240
She 5'9" and HWP

Our local REI rep suggested a Tarpon 120 for her and a 140 for me. Looking for thoughts.

I am in SoKali now, Austin before long and we travel to Colorado. Ideas on great trips are also appreciated.
take a look at the Hobie Mirage pedal kayaks, especially if you want to fish it. They are waaaay cool, and very stealthy.

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #3
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 531
I bought a used Native Ultimate 12 this year. Slow, but I can carry two of everything in it, stand up to stretch, and still make it around tight blow downs.

I originally bought it for The Girl, but she ends up in my Old Town Dirigo and I in the Native more times than not.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #4
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
If possible try shopping a local kayak dealer rather than a big box store. I had 2 dealers that I bought from that would load up boats I was interested in and take them to a local lake that I could try them in. Unfortunately both of them have gone out of business.
One piece of advice I can give is don't skimp on the paddle, a good light weight paddle that fits your hands makes a big difference.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #5
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,437
I found a used WS Pungo on CL a couple of years ago. 12', wide enough for comfort, but moves and handles well on flat water. Room for tackle and pole holders if you decide to fish from it.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #6
Lonestar2112 OP
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,876
Are there features that I should be avoiding?

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #7
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 392
Not sure this is of any value but....I walked into our local Outdoor Store a while back with cash in hand to buy a kayak he had in stock. He wouldn't sell it to me until I at least tried one of the inflatables (such as Advance Elements). Weather went to crap and I haven't done it yet but he's got my attention.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #8
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,725
Go here http://www.paddling.net and start reading. Start with the buyers guide near the top left of the home page.

We have 4 SOT Kayaks we use on lakes and calm rivers. 2 Emotion and 2 Cobra's. I like both but prefer the Cobra's.

Dagofast screwed with this post Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41 AM   #9
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I spend a lot of time in kayaks of all sorts- we are on the water 2-3 days a week every week, even in winter. we travel the country for months on end, competing, training, playing..... you get the picture.

Judging on your initial choices, you are looking at $1000 up kayaks- good choice. they hold their value, are easy to sell when the time comes, and you'll get a high resale value should you want to try something new (which you will- we go through as many as 10 boats a year)

I'll give you my perspective and history with some of the brands and boat models- so take it for what it's worth-

1- Shop around, try a few out and then get what you like
2- Shouldn't worry about matching boats- 2 tarpons or whatever, get what you like, get what she likes.
3- don't get a heavy boat- get what you can lift easily for the way you will haul it.
4- Not sure you mention your experience level, but initially you will feel inclined to buy stability. Don't. Buy comfort and speed or comfort and purpose. They all are stable enough and as your balance comes in, it won't matter. Think of it this way- stability comes with a lack of speed and turning ability. While some are better at this than others, consider this a more general thought than kayak model specific.
5- In the price you are talking about- quality is the same. most boats are manufactured by the same companies, all are molded plastic and there are only a few companies with ovens to make them. Jackson and hobbies are the largest. Many of the yeti type coolers are made by the kayak companies as well. Orion and Orca are both made in the Jackson factory... you get the picture.
6- Should have mentioned this earlier-- go to a kayak store to buy a kayak. Skip Cabbalas, Academy, Dicks, and the like. REI carries a few, but would spend the time with a kayak shop that will let you demo what they have for free so you can see what you like.

A few thoughts on the boats-
1. Hobbie Mirage- its a gimmick. the pedal drive is heavy, the boat is heavy, it's a slug in the water. Everyone I know that bought one sold them in 6 months. The do best in the ocean. But since I only fish in the ocean a few times a year, I don't like the hobbies at all.

2. Tarpons are good boats. Faster on the water than most, stable, comfortable, have a lot of features people like. I have only borrowed them, but liked them a lot.

3. Jackson- they are purpose built, but will have something that fits your need exactly. I have a couple of coosas - probably their least popular boats. I like them the best because we fish rivers. They are slow on the lake and suck in the ocean. We are always on moving water or smaller lakes and they excel in those areas.

4.You might like the Tarpon, but for what you describe, take a look at a Ride or commander - they are a little more versatile.

5. I'd also consider a Jackson Cruise either in plain or angler form. 12', not the 10'. They are quick on the water, versatile for what you describe, and aren't that heavy.

Have fun shopping. Don't forget-

Buy the most comfortable PFD you can buy- plan on spending $120-$150 here. You will thank me later. Vented mesh backs are the best as they don't interfere with the seat at all. Trust me, buy a cheaper boat, but don't skimp on the comfort of the PFD.

Buy a good paddle- not a flexi nylon one. I use CF or fiberglass. Here's another $300. Again- you will than me later.

If you have questions- feel free to ask or shoot me a PM. Happy to help1

ktm360mx screwed with this post Today at 05:52 AM
ktm360mx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #10
warriorcole
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm360mx View Post
I spend a lot of time in kayaks of all sorts- we are on the water 2-3 days a week every week, even in winter. we travel the country for months on end, competing, training, playing..... you get the picture.

Judging on your initial choices, you are looking at $1000 up kayaks- good choice. they hold their value, are easy to sell when the time comes, and you'll get a high resale value should you want to try something new (which you will- we go through as many as 10 boats a year)

I'll give you my perspective and history with some of the brands and boat models- so take it for what it's worth-

1- Shop around, try a few out and then get what you like
2- Shouldn't worry about matching boats- 2 tarpons or whatever, get what you like, get what she likes.
3- don't get a heavy boat- get what you can lift easily for the way you will haul it.
4- Not sure you mention your experience level, but initially you will feel inclined to buy stability. Don't. Buy comfort and speed or comfort and purpose. They all are stable enough and as your balance comes in, it won't matter. Think of it this way- stability comes with a lack of speed and turning ability. While some are better at this than others, consider this a more general thought than kayak model specific.
5- In the price you are talking about- quality is the same. most boats are manufactured by the same companies, all are molded plastic and there are only a few companies with ovens to make them. Jackson and hobbies are the largest. Many of the yeti type coolers are made by the kayak companies as well. Orion and Orca are both made in the Jackson factory... you get the picture.
6- Should have mentioned this earlier-- go to a kayak store to buy a kayak. Skip Cabbalas, Academy, Dicks, and the like. REI carries a few, but would spend the time with a kayak shop that will let you demo what they have for free so you can see what you like.

A few thoughts on the boats-
1. Hobbie Mirage- its a gimmick. the pedal drive is heavy, the boat is heavy, it's a slug in the water. Everyone I know that bought one sold them in 6 months. The do best in the ocean. But since I only fish in the ocean a few times a year, I don't like the hobbies at all.

2. Tarpons are good boats. Faster on the water than most, stable, comfortable, have a lot of features people like. I have only borrowed them, but liked them a lot.

3. Jackson- they are purpose built, but will have something that fits your need exactly. I have a couple of coosas - probably their least popular boats. I like them the best because we fish rivers. They are slow on the lake and suck in the ocean. We are always on moving water or smaller lakes and they excel in those areas.

4.You might like the Tarpon, but for what you describe, take a look at a Ride or commander - they are a little more versatile.

5. I'd also consider a Jackson Cruise either in plain or angler form. 12', not the 10'. They are quick on the water, versatile for what you describe, and aren't that heavy.

Have fun shopping. Don't forget-

Buy the most comfortable PFD you can buy- plan on spending $120-$150 here. You will thank me later. Vented mesh backs are the best as they don't interfere with the seat at all. Trust me, buy a cheaper boat, but don't skimp on the comfort of the PFD.

Buy a good paddle- not a flexi nylon one. I use CF or fiberglass. Here's another $300. Again- you will than me later.

If you have questions- feel free to ask or shoot me a PM. Happy to help1
There are so many good boats out there these days. I really like the Jacksons but they are a bit pricey. For the money, I have really enjoyed the Malibu Mini x Kayak that I bought last year. It is light, only 9' and rated at 320 lbs. It is a bit slow but ultra stable for a SOT. Had an OK before it and it was a great fishing barge but kind of heavy for 1 person to handle. My next boat may be a Coosa.
warriorcole is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: