Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #1532
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
Barry, love your XJ.. Just curious what lift/tire combo are you running?
Rough Country 6.5" X-Series short arm, and 32/33x11.5" tires. I forget the metric size... but my buddy has 33s and mine are taller. So I think even though I specified a 32" tire, I got a 33"+ tire. Which is fine. Need to re-gear. MPG went in the crapper.

Thanks for the kind words. I got no money in it, and it is very, very clean. Happy with it so far.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 06:01 AM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #1533
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,688
Friday I picked up this 1995 Cherokee Country on a smoking deal, $400. I actually impounded this one after it had been abandoned by the PO several months ago. When the wrecker driver came to hook it, I was still working on the daughter's 1986 XJ and I told him if the owner didn't claim it, I'd give him $400 for it to use for parts.

Last week, we ran in to each other again and he told me had got the Jeep after the PO forfeited and had all the paperwork in hand to go along with. Well that was too good to pass up. The interior was dirty (damn smokers) and had a few goodies left behind, (lots of CDs and clothes), but overall it wasn't bad. The wife expressed an interest in putting it on the road for her to drive, so I started looking into replacement keys and why the driver's door wouldn't open.

The PO abandoned the Jeep after he lost the left front wheel while driving down the interstate. He had aparently mounted a Honda wheel up front, but didn't tighten the lugnuts. The factory aluminum rim was in the back seat, in good shape. The sidewall of the tire had been cut, but there was no damage to the rim from loose lug nuts. The Honda rim was not so lucky. Needless to say, the left fender and driver's door took some damage when the wheel departed at speed. I have spares for both that would only need paint to match.

After a day of messing with the door through the inside and having no success, I went Mongol on the outer door skin with a hammer and chisel, but not before I tried to take the driver's seat out to give myself more room to work.

While hosing down the rear seat bolt with PB Blaster from underneath, I discovered the floor pans behind the front wheels were rotted through to the carpet. I made an executive decision right there that I was not going to mess with putting this back on the road. In addition to the rusted floors, the bottom hinge on the driver's door was broken and had been for sometime, which added to the door being jammed shut.

The engine and drivetrain are in good shape, even at 208k miles. The fluids all look good and were properly filled. The battery was even still charged. Three of the four tires had about 1/2 tread and were all holding air.

I decided the axles (Dana 30/Chrysler 8.25 LS 3.55 ratio) would go in the daughter's Jeep. The 4.10s she has now really knock the crap out of her fuel economy. The 3.4L/A904 (non-overdrive) isn't dinosaur friendly. 3.07s might be better, but I own these now.

As for the engine/transmission/transfer case, I am going to use them in a 1957 Chevy 1/2 project. I am going to mate the body to a 1/2 ton 1994-2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 chassis, powered by the Jeep running gear. The 4.0 motor will get stroked for more torque. Stance-wise it will look a lot like a NAPCO, but with a better ride and better economy.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1534
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Just saw this page. Here is my jeep

I bought it new in 1997 see top photo. Various mods throughout the years. The bottom pic is how it looks today, it's actually parked in the same spot as the top photo.

Cheers
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #1535
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
some nice jeep in this thread.
currently my rig is a very mild mitsubishi montero.

bought it for a price i couldnt pass up, and its been nice, but this summer the plan is to sell it and replace it with a wrangler.

it has however, had to be used as a wrangler recovery vehicle

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #1536
jerdog53
Banned

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
some nice jeep in this thread.
currently my rig is a very mild mitsubishi montero.

bought it for a price i couldnt pass up, and its been nice, but this summer the plan is to sell it and replace it with a wrangler.

it has however, had to be used as a wrangler recovery vehicle

um.........
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #1537
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 857
Heres mine. I bought it just over a month ago for $1500. 93 YJ with 4.5 in lift, 31 in kelly safari tsr's the little 4 banger and an AX5 tranny, Dana 30/35's with 4.10 gears and the standard np231 t-case with an advance adapters sye kit on it. Also have an 8500lb superwinch with a long cable so I can mount it either front or rear. The transmission is currently being treated to new bearings and syncros now so thats why you can see all the underthings hanging.

Its my first jeep and I love it so far. I cant wait to get the tranny all done so I can go wheeling and get you ff's some action shots. Dont hate my winch cover, its temporary. Also the paint is getting redone, the hood is all I have done so far because the shop i have access to right now is currently occupied.

beemerkid screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 09:32 PM
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #1538
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
08 JK-X
Mostly stock I believe, minus tires/wheels.
Bought almost a year ago with 18,000 miles for $26,000
My second wrangler. Other than gas mileage, I love her

Top of Angeles Crest National Forrest - California

Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1539
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #1540
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Isn't that the same pic from before? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1541
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #1541
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,013
My 2001 TJ Sahara in Utah's Valley of the Gods...

4.0; 32RH with deep pan, cooler, and temp gauge; Ford 8.8 rear with Airlocker; Aussie Locker in the front; 3.73's; full skidplates

Here's a link to my Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari, September & October 2010, posted on JeepForum...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/e...afari-1122536/
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #1542
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Isn't that the same pic from before? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1541
No, I was holding my mouth different in this one.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #1543
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
next week the top and doors come off my Jeep.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #1544
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibornz View Post
next week the top and doors come off my Jeep.
Yeah, baby!
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #1545
Ven Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
No mirrors, eh? That's a ticket in Maryland.

For those of you that loose the top and doors for the summer, what do you do about inclement weather and overnight parking? While taking the roof down is easy enough, I've found that putting it back up is a bit of a pain, and not something I would care to do every day. Do any of you use a cab cover of some sort? Any recommendations?
Ven Moto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: