Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #1891
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
The ad doesn't say whether it's a 4.0L or not. If it's a 4.0 grab it.

The 2.5L isn't a bad engine but I don't know how well one would perform up here in the Mountains. But I think my 4.0 H.O. wrangler is underpowered but I'm a power junkie that's been used to sea level power for 30 years before moving up here.
If it's that red '87 it's a 4.0L. The Dana 44 and NP242 were not available with the 2.5L. It's not a H.O. though.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #1892
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
I got more pictures of it, there are a few major oil leaks on it.I guess that's a given with age, trying to decide if I want to fight with it or not.
If its not leaking oil you better add a couple quarts

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #1893
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
I got more pictures of it, there are a few major oil leaks on it.I guess that's a given with age, trying to decide if I want to fight with it or not.
The only major oil leak that's a pain is the rear main seal. It's a 2 piece and requires you to remove the oil pan and rear main cap to replace.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #1894
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I had 2 XJ's. Loved 'em. Put 185k on the first one and 285k on the second one. Just replaced it with a 2013 4-door JK. The JK has a larger interior, more power, better gas mileage, quieter, and rides better than the XJ's did.
Sorry but the JK is out as it can't tow and is overweight.

Two things the JK can't do that the XJ can,

Tow

and win races against turbo cars
www.upoverland.org
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #1895
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Sorry but the JK is out as it can't tow and is overweight.

Two things the JK can't do that the XJ can,

Tow

and win races against turbo cars
A JKU is rated at 3500 pounds tow capacity in the U.S.

The exact same JKU is rated at about 5000 pounds in other countries. The vehicle can do it, but here in nanny land the lawyers don't want you to do it.

What was the tow capacity of the XJ?

Not sure what you are getting at concerning racing, but current JK's are up nearly 100 hp over the 4.0 in the XJ.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #1896
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,771
My 97 4.0 Cherokee Sport with an automatic is rated for 5000 pounds with the Jeep tow package. I think it drops to 3500 pounds with a manual. The Jeep "tow package" when I got my 1997 was a Class III hitch, a transmission cooler and synthetic gear lube for the axles.

I have been routinely towing 4000 pounds with it since new and nothing has ever broken. But, in my opinion, that 5000 pound rating is overly optimistic. The 4.0HO with AW4 automatic will easily pull 5000 pounds straight up a cliff if it can find enough traction. It has mad torque.

But to tow my 4000 pounds of boat it needed new springs even with a well balanced trailer. I think we can all agree that XJ rear springs have the spring rate of wet pasta. Trailer brakes are also needed since my XJ crosses the landfill scales at just over 2800 pounds (Jeep says 3000 pounds).

There is just no way you can effectively stop a 5000 pound trailer with a 3000 pound vehicle without good trailer brakes. Even then it is white knuckled. I would also want a load distributing hitch for anything heavier than my boat. Actually, I wouldn't want to pull anything heavier than what I do.

Anyway, as to power, it is the XJ's 3000 pound curb weight coupled to that 4.0HO that makes them so fun to drive. They are a solid 1000+ pounds lighter than a JKU and close to a 1000 pounds less than a regular JK. That power to weight ratio is phenomenal. Our Cherokee is way faster than our 3G or 4G 4Runners or my 4.0l Ranger 4x4.

Of course, that light weight has a price. If you stop with the front and back on different slopes good luck opening the hatch.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:48 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #1897
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The exact same JKU is rated at about 5000 pounds in other countries. The vehicle can do it, but here in nanny land the lawyers don't want you to do it.
After living in Europe for a couple years, I'm convinced this is b/c they ALL use trailer brakes. You would be amazed at what little cars are able to tow huge caravans over there. Also, they are REALLY limited to the speeds they can go when towing: if memory serves, when towing in Germany, you are limited to 80kph which is ~50 mph. Here in Kalifornistan, we are limited to 55mph when towing anything, so it actually kinda makes sense to me (albeit mildly annoying).
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #1898
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Quote:
A JKU is rated at 3500 pounds tow capacity in the U.S.

What was the tow capacity of the XJ?

Not sure what you are getting at concerning racing, but current JK's are up nearly 100 hp over the 4.0 in the XJ.
XJ is tow rated at 5000 lbs and I have towed over 7000lb with it, not that I was going far but it tows it just fine. I did upgrade the brakes to 4 wheel disc for towing 5000lbs with marginal trailer brakes.

JKU is 1000+ lbs heavier so that means the power to weight is about the same but the XJ is lighter which makes it better for cornering and maneuverability. When racing power to weight doesn't mean as much as weight alone. I like having one vehicle that can do everything not having a race car, tow vehicle, and daily driver as separate vehicles to insure, plate, and maintain.
www.upoverland.org
Old 03-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #1899
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,048
Sadly, I have to agree with Range on the handling. I just stepped out of an XJ and into a JKU. Even with 3" lift, 31" tires, and no rear swaybar I believe the Bilstein equipped XJ would out handle the JK.

Since both are stick, the JK easily wins the towing war. I believe the stick XJ was rated at something like 1500 lbs. It was really lame compared to the auto version. I always felt it was due to the fear of having to replace fried clutches under warranty from those who didn't really how to drive stick.

JK will easily dominate in a drag race. But again, stick shift meant 3.07 gears in the XJ. Combined with 31" tires it was a bit over geared. An auto XJ might give the JK a run for the money. 1000 lbs. is a lot.

JK easily wins in the ride quality and lack of interior noise department. I can't believe how well screwed together this thing seems to be.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #1900
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,945
Can someone with a 42" Hi-Lift jack (cast, or cast/steel) tell me the actual height of the handle or standard bar, from the base, whichever one sticks up the furthest? The hi-lift documentation seems at odds with the actual dimensions on some models.

Thanks! I'm looking to fit one in the back of my car for desert camping, and space is tight.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #1901
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Hey another jeep thread.

I'll throw my '63 Willys in for good measure.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #1902
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

Anyway, as to power, it is the XJ's 3000 pound curb weight coupled to that 4.0HO that makes them so fun to drive. They are a solid 1000+ pounds lighter than a JKU and close to a 1000 pounds less than a regular JK. That power to weight ratio is phenomenal. Our Cherokee is way faster than our 3G or 4G 4Runners or my 4.0l Ranger 4x4.
I've driven them. Additionally, I bought a new 1997 TJ with the same engine and a 5 speed. A current JK (or even a JKU) with the Pentastar would smoke either one.

1998 JEEP CHEROKEE CLASSIC 4WD

by Matt/Bob Hagin

SEE ALSO: Jeep Buyer's Guide

SPECIFICATIONS

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $ 21,995
Price As Tested $ 24,550
Engine Type OHV 2-valve 4.0 Liter I6 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 242 cid/3958 cc
Horsepower 190 @ 4600 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 225 @ 3000 RPM
Wheelbase/Width/Length 101.4"/69.4"/167.5"
Transmission Four-speed automatic
Curb Weight 3379 pounds
Fuel Capacity 20 gallons
Tires (F/R) P225/75R15
Brakes (F/R) Disc /drum
Drive Train Front-engine/four-wheel-drive
Vehicle Type Five-passenger/four-door
Domestic Content 74 percent
Coefficient of Drag (Cd.) 0.51

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
city/highway/average 17/21/18
0-60 MPH 11 seconds
Payload 1150 pounds
Towing Capacity 5000 pounds
* Sequential multi-port fuel injection

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...8/gap9823.html

2013 JKU Sport

Horsepower - 285
Torque - 260 Ft Lbs
4277 Lbs Curb Weight

Performance (Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, couldn't find specs on the sport)

Engine and Transmission: 3.6 V-6/6M
skidpad 0.73 g.
1/4 mile 15.36 sec.
0-60 7.06 sec.
1/4 mile 94.19 mph.

The Cherokee has 17.78 lbs per horsepower. The Wrangler Unlimited has 15 Lbs per horsepower. There is no contest.

Considering the extra weight AND power of the JKU, if I'm going to tow 5,000 Lbs with either one clearly it is going to be the JKU. Aside from towing safety I wish Wranglers hadn't gained so much weight over the years, but really that's been the trend in passenger vehicles across the board.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #1903
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Quote:

The Cherokee has 17.78 lbs per horsepower. The Wrangler Unlimited has 15 Lbs per horsepower. There is no contest.
My old XJ would have killed your JK. It didn't earn the name Silver Bullet for being slow, it earned it by smoking 350 SBC crate engined CJ7's. Still have the engine in my garage awaiting a rat rod project.

As for my current XJ, in a drag race you might edge me out unless it's a mile long, but on a road course you are screwed.
www.upoverland.org
Old 03-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #1904
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
My old XJ would have killed your JK. It didn't earn the name Silver Bullet for being slow, it earned it by smoking 350 SBC crate engined CJ7's. Still have the engine in my garage awaiting a rat rod project.

As for my current XJ, in a drag race you might edge me out unless it's a mile long, but on a road course you are screwed.
Road course? You may as well argue which tank corners better. But since you've now clarified that we are making ridiculous, lopsided comparisons on pavement using built vehicles I'm sure you won't mind if I bring my Shelby to the bench race.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #1905
CJ_WILLY
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My pet CJ in Pittsfield IL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: