Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #2041
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I think the 4.0 was available in the WJ Grand Cherokee until 2004 as well. The 4.0 is an unbelievable engine. I sold an Accord to a dude that had an XJ with the 4.0 that decided he needed something new since the XJ was at roughly 375,000 miles; and the only thing wrong was the oil pump needed replacing That kind of longevity is as good or better than anything on the road! I'm amazed that after last weekends trip of over 800miles with about 100 of those being off road my nearly 20 year old 4.0 didn't even use a drop of oil!

To say ditching the 4.0 was a mistake by many is probably a bit harsh. The basic engine design was 40 years old at the time it was retired. About every bit of power, economy and efficiency was tapped by the time it was retired. I don't think any other auto company was using a design that old at that time. The saddest part was that the plant that manufactured those engines, had been in pretty much continuous operation for like 100years and once Chrysler stopped making the 4.0 the plant only remained open for a few more years making those less than stellar mini-van engines and then closed forever.
Yeah, the WJ used it till 2004 but they had also been using the Powertech 4.7L since 1999. When the last 4.0L came off the time, it was their 5 millionth. Pretty amazing really.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #2042
Uneasy Rider
The life of Riley

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
So I've read here and elsewhere about issues with the 3.8L V6 in the 2007-2011 Jeeps, but does anyone have a sense for how prevalent the problems really are? Is this an absolute stay away from engine? We're looking at Unlimiteds and the options seem to be either 3.8L or something out of our price range.
I've owned my 2010 Rubicon Unlimited since new. I have almost 50k miles and it doesn't use a drop of oil.
It's been more reliable than my wife's Explorer.

The problem with the Wrangler is the average age of the owner. They are commonly used and abused by clueless first time vehicle owners.

Show me a high school kid who doesn't dream about owning one...
Uneasy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #2043
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider View Post
I've owned my 2010 Rubicon Unlimited since new. I have almost 50k miles and it doesn't use a drop of oil.
It's been more reliable than my wife's Explorer.

The problem with the Wrangler is the average age of the owner. They are commonly used and abused by clueless first time vehicle owners.

Show me a high school kid who doesn't dream about owning one...
It's not that, it's that Chrysler has stated that under normal operating conditions, the 3.8L is known to burn 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

And you still have to hit it a bit harder than you would a 4.0, IMO, in order to go anywhere at a reasonable speed.

You can see people talk of the oil burning issue here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/o...natures/page/5

Some more oil consumption BS:

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4...sler-stow.html

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...22-Burning-Oil

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=530902

etc etc

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me

XpressCS screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 06:48 AM
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #2044
SKT
Born II Ride

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
My old Jeep at the "Crack" in Moab..

The Crack...Moab
Very nice '7 w/ OG paint?

'02 HD Deuce

'07 HD Springer Classic
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #2045
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
It's not that, it's that Chrysler has stated that under normal operating conditions, the 3.8L is known to burn 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.
My 2007 JKU burns a rather excessive amount, probably 1/2 quart or more every 1000 miles.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #2046
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,749
My 08 JKU didn't use any oil at all in the 35k miles I put on it. It is not a fast vehicle for sure. It's not the most powerful for sure. I now have an 09 JKU that has 42k on it. Still no oil use. I change my oil religiously at 3-4k with synthetic oil. Have since new on both Jeeps. I wouldn't hesitate to drive across country in my JK, in fact I just about have 3 times. It's not great in any particular area but does ok in a bunch of areas. Getting stuck is something I have not done yet.

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #2047
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
My 08 JKU didn't use any oil at all in the 35k miles I put on it. It is not a fast vehicle for sure. It's not the most powerful for sure. I now have an 09 JKU that has 42k on it. Still no oil use. I change my oil religiously at 3-4k with synthetic oil. Have since new on both Jeeps. I wouldn't hesitate to drive across country in my JK, in fact I just about have 3 times. It's not great in any particular area but does ok in a bunch of areas. Getting stuck is something I have not done yet.

You got this via Crapatalk
Why do people think it's a great achievement to drive across the country in a brand new car?
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #2048
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Why do people think it's a great achievement to drive across the country in a brand new car?
I'd consider driving across the country in a stock 1st gen YJ to be a great achievement.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #2049
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,165
Quote:
I'd consider driving across the country in a stock 1st gen YJ to be a great achievement.
You mean like this?

Yep, did that in the middle of the summer in '05. This pic is in CO, but I'd come from Columbus, OH. I was missing AC, but with enough fluids, was not a big deal. The wind in KS on 70 was a bit much, though...

Oh yeah, and a few weeks later did this with the same Jeep:

Made it the whole way through the Rubicon with no issues at all. Loved my YJ.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #2050
duck851
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Bought this poser mobile the other day. Can't wait to creep the mall. 2012 with 23k on it.

duck851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #2051
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
You mean like this?

snip

Yep, did that in the middle of the summer in '05. This pic is in CO, but I'd come from Columbus, OH. I was missing AC, but with enough fluids, was not a big deal. The wind in KS on 70 was a bit much, though...
Nice. Towing a trailer too! I assume you have a 6 cylinder though.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #2052
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Nice. Towing a trailer too! I assume you have a 6 cylinder though.
No sir. 4 furious squirrels and 4.88s and full time lockers at both ends. It had rather "interesting" handling characteristics.

Sometimes I miss that Jeep. Then I drive the JKUR or if I want to feel old school, our G Wagen, and I don't miss it quite as much. :)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #2053
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
No sir. 4 furious squirrels and 4.88s and full time lockers at both ends. It had rather "interesting" handling characteristics.

Sometimes I miss that Jeep. Then I drive the JKUR or if I want to feel old school, our G Wagen, and I don't miss it quite as much. :)
Even better!!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #2054
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Even better!!
Yeah, I was in tears the day the guy I sold it to loaded it on a trailer. We sold it just before going to Europe (made zero sense to take it or store it for that long).

So, when we ordered the JKUR from Germany and had it delivered to my parent's house in OH, it was kinda cool to drive it cross country as well. Suffice it to say, it was a different experience. Although, I did include about 400 miles in off road from Denver into CA and even crossed into CA on a trail:

And although it was a couple months, we took this one on the Rubicon as well (same spots):

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #2055
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,868
I drove from Georgia to San Diego and back in my '01 TJ Sahara in 2010.

4.0, 32RH, 33" BFG KM2's, 8.8 rear with AirLocker, D30 front with AussieLocker, 3.73's, AC, Sirius, soft-top.

Trip Report on JeepForum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/e...afari-1122536/
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: