User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #2131
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Dualsport dad is right...but might I make another suggestion...

Unless the 87' has signifigant meaning, deceased loved ones ride etc, sell it and just buy you another Cherokee. They are plentiful and cheap and there is no reason to pour money into the 87, or buy another and swap stuff onto the 87. I have a 96 4cyl AX-5 and I wanted to put an AX-15 in it so I went down the same path. But after I got done I would have had more time and money and parts/spare vehicle than it would have cost just to buy a nicer 4.0 5 speed and sell the 96. If you are wanting to fix one up there are plenty out there that are better starting platforms than the 87.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #2132
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
As far as I was concerned, the old TJ with the 3-speed auto was pretty good off-road although I tend to agree with Sally for heavy duty wheeling (which, as I've mentioned, I don't do a lot of), but mostly I liked it for drinking coffee while running errands around town!
As much as I like the auto off road, I hate it on road, that thing sucks on the highway, not enough gears. It would help if I lowered my gearing I'm sure.
My CJ7 came with a 5 speed, I put an injected 4.0 with a NP435 4 speed & then an NV4500 5 spd in it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #2133
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
As much as I like the auto off road, I hate it on road, that thing sucks on the highway, not enough gears. It would help if I lowered my gearing I'm sure.
My CJ7 came with a 5 speed, I put an injected 4.0 with a NP435 4 speed & then an NV4500 5 spd in it.
Yeah, the old 3-speed auto had no overdrive. Mine had a tach and it seems like it revved pretty high, although I don't recall the range anymore, when running at highway speeds, thus the sucky mileage no doubt! I did find it was pretty good off-road, however, and was great for around-town.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #2134
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,121
My grandpas 97 Sahara runs almost 3000rpm doing 65ish on the highway. What a stupid idea to put in a 3 speed auto with no overdrive on something that new. Most cars through that era had either 4 or 5 speed autos, and 5 speed manuals.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #2135
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh My home grown Hybrid

built mostly for trails, no rock crawlin'. open diffs, only 4 inch lift with 33's

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #2136
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
built mostly for trails, no rock crawlin'. open diffs, only 4 inch lift with 33's
So is that a chopped down Willy PU or just a chopped body on another frame? What's it running for the drivetrain?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #2137
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 804
I loved having a manual in my jeep, but eventually I decided that for my engine swap I would run a 4L60E. With a little custom wiring, I have some of the advantages of a manual in that I can manually engage the lockup torque converter for compression braking. I do miss rowing gears however. If I want to start off on a steep hill, its a little easier but the skill of toe and heel starts on rocks is pretty fun to practice.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #2138
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid View Post
I loved having a manual in my jeep, but eventually I decided that for my engine swap I would run a 4L60E. With a little custom wiring, I have some of the advantages of a manual in that I can manually engage the lockup torque converter for compression braking. I do miss rowing gears however. If I want to start off on a steep hill, its a little easier but the skill of toe and heel starts on rocks is pretty fun to practice.
A lot of people are jumping on the 6L80e bandwagon now. I think that's the way I'd go if I was going an LS swap.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #2139
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
A lot of people are jumping on the 6L80e bandwagon now. I think that's the way I'd go if I was going an LS swap.
Until the new 9 speed auto transmissions become readily available.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #2140
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Until the new 9 speed auto transmissions become readily available.
CVT....
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #2141
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid View Post
CVT....
That's crazy talk! It's like saying the Renex 4.0L is better then the High Outrput 4.0L.

Here's a 5.3L with a 6L80-E going into a YJ. The double OD allows you to gear it lower then you normally would while keeping the RPM's down on the highway. It's also shorter then a 4l60e/700R4 which helps in a SWB Jeep. You also have the ability to shift manually and have a gear spread similar to a manual.

Here's a JK with a similar 5.3L and 6L80-E

Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #2142
RedRocker
Native Texican

That would look swell in my LJ.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #2143
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
That would look swell in my LJ.
The shop is called MoTech. http://www.lswrangler.com/ Supposedly, they can make it 50-state, too. It looks really clean, like it belongs there.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #2144
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
The shop is called MoTech. http://www.lswrangler.com/ Supposedly, they can make it 50-state, too. It looks really clean, like it belongs there.
Thanks, looks like they don't do TJ's.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #2145
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Thanks, looks like they don't do TJ's.
Actually, I think they will do just about anything. CJ, YJ, TJ, JK... I remember hearing it in one of their videos. Best to call or email them. Both Jeeps I posted were done by them.

Jeffy screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 04:59 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: