Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #2221
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Doorless and topless for about 6 months here in the SE, got my warm and safe heated gear wired to the Jeep to extend my topless Jeeping a couple more weeks at least.

Great weekend of wheeling SE TN
Looks great. Some of us might be heading your way(ish) this weekend. We are scheduled to go to LBL but will probably temporarily close when Congress bungles things this week. Windrock seems a logical choice.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #2222
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Wicked

Jeep sat for about 5-6 weeks. Installed new radiator,hoses,water pump and serpentine belt. Nice to have more than 1 vehicle again. Try riding the Tuono with a 40 lb. bag of dog food in yer lap.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #2223
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,084
Sooo, had the JK for about 6wks now....already about 4k miles....

Some thoughts..

Loving it!!! Came out of a 2006 Xterra Off Road...which, BTW, I was very happy with.

The Jeep is more comfortable. Overall better ergonomics. I have done several 500+ mile days going back and forth to my Orygun property with minimal/no discomfort. I find I get there quicker with less aches and creakiness in the old joints. Had to stop every 150 miles in the Xterra to stretch/bend.

Noise- Jeep is slightly louder...much better than I expected. Some of the issue is with the current tires.
I DO plan on getting one of those head liner kits as I hear they help decrease noise and, as a bonus, keep the inside temps down on a hot day.

Mileage is about the same....until I start driving 75 on I5 north to Orygun....seeing 15-17 mpg

Probably a result of the comparative decreased/angled frontal aspect of the Xterra.

Around town is as low as 10mpg....

65 mph fwy around 18-20mpg.

55mph Hwy 101 seeing low 20's.

In all fairness, as it breaks in it does seem to be getting a bit better.

Turning radius....much better/tighter on the Xterra...was kind of surprised by that.

Auto tranny....hunts a bit more than I'd like. The Xterra had an Overdrive "off" button that was very handy. Not so on the Jeep.
One aspect I love about the JK is on a long hill (example: coming south out of Ashland, OR down I-5) the tranny gives the Jeep a lot of compression braking without downshifting. Not sure how it works...but it does.
Used to have to downshift the Xterra for the same effect.

Overall visibility better in the Jeep.

Could haul more crap (camping gear) in the Xterra....quickly removable rear seats. Considering pulling the back seats out of the JK as I don't haul passengers anyway. Might build some kind of permanent box for gear.

Power...preferred the Xterra. More low end grunt/real world engine power...but it was a 4.0 vs a 3.6.

Passing, probably a wash...once the JK is revving it hauls ass.

JK owner's manual sucks....almost zero info. Xterra had a VERY extensive manual that described all basic maintenance including trouble shooting, changing out all the bulbs, etc., etc.

Looks...very subjective. Loved the look of the Xterra.....Love the look of the JK.

No real off road experience with the JK yet.

Probably a result of driving the Xterra 7 yrs, 110k miles, but I (thus far) do not feel confident regarding where stuff is (ie front end, back end, tires) when doing tight maneuvers.

Overall VERY happy...plus I just love Jeeps.......

Downside...I'm spending money like a drunken sailor buying farkles...

DaFoole screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:19 AM
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #2224
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
not sure what size tires you have,but if they are much bigger than the stockers it will feel a bit sluggish,and hurt your mileage.The Rubicon tires are 32" but it has 4.10 gears.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #2225
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Sooo, had the JK for about 6wks now....already about 4k miles....

Some thoughts..
10 mpg in town? Dude, it ain't a race car! The only time I get that is in 4 low!

Otherwise I think a very fair write up. Don't forget when you pull the back seats, you'll have to level it out as it's not like the old school or 2 door ones that they just come out.

On the owner's manual, have you really looked through that DVD? Granted it's mostly in hieroglyphics, but there is some decent info in there. Otherwise, since there are literally over a million JKs out there, you can find whatever info you need on the interwebs. It also has so much emissions crap that it will just need to be plugged in to diagnose darn near anything- they even searched for a code in my HVAC system- kinda ridiculous to me in a Wrangler.

Let me know on the headliner thing as I've been debating that and Rhino lining (or the like) in the tub for better soundproofing (the thing isn't Karen's BMW, but definitely good for a Wrangler). Also, if you go topless much, look into one of those spiderweb shades things- we're really happy with ours with the only downside is the the hard top is a pain in the butt to put back on with it still there.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #2226
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,154
DaFoole, you can get the full owner's manual in hard/paper form by calling Jeep customer service at 1-877-426-5337......if you are the original purchaser it will be free, they'll want your name and the VIN, if you're not the original purchaser they may sell you one for not very much $. Or you can always download the manual on your computer from the Jeep website. It's nice to have a hard copy to keep in the vehicle, however.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #2227
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
First weekend with the 2011 nice cool temps, pulled the top off and rode across several covered bridges, drove some fire roads went up a logging road, just what I got it for and about as hard core as this Wrangle will see. Going to the Smoky Mtn's this weekend easy ride down Parson Branch and Kings Mtn Rd.

KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #2228
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
DaFoole, you can get the full owner's manual in hard/paper form by calling Jeep customer service at 1-877-426-5337......if you are the original purchaser it will be free, they'll want your name and the VIN, if you're not the original purchaser they may sell you one for not very much $. Or you can always download the manual on your computer from the Jeep website. It's nice to have a hard copy to keep in the vehicle, however.

Will check that out. I got the DVD...not much useful info there..and the "Army Green" Canvas ensconced "owners manual" when I bought the thing.... worthless....unless you're trying to program the radio...

All very disappointing. Actually...compared the the Xterra...pretty much a joke.

The Xterra manual, IMHO...sets the bar for a real owners manual

.........Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki/Harley/KTM/Triumph/Ducati/BMW , et al.....are you listening?????

No? Didn't think so......

Why, Chrysler...why?

I guess we're not capable of basic fixes/maintenance.....

DaFoole screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:18 AM
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2229
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Did you get the GPS radio? If so, wait till you need to do a firmware update. Oh yeah, that was fun...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #2230
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Did you get the GPS radio? If so, wait till you need to do a firmware update. Oh yeah, that was fun...
Nope. As noted, I got the "Luddite Edition"......

Manual locks, roll up windows, manual AC adjustment, manual dome lights that don't come on when the door is opened, seat needs human power to move around, basic radio/CD player with i-pod jack....

You know....just like the stone age....

No power anything = less shit to break...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #2231
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Nope. As noted, I got the "Luddite Edition"......

Manual locks, roll up windows, manual AC adjustment, manual dome lights that don't come on when the door is opened, seat needs human power to move around, basic radio/CD player with i-pod jack....

You know....just like the stone age....

No power anything = less shit to break...
Stupid German cars ruined me for living without toys. However, I drew the line at leather seats (in a Wrangler? Seriously?), auto climate control (um, this is a topless and doorless oriented machine still), and the $1800 GPS stereo (we got the one just below it, but I just couldn't justify $2k for a stereo).

We also opted for the 6 speed, which is like rowing a boat, but the economy is incredible if you drive like a grandma, and admittedly it's a bit of a principle thing for me- and I like it better for hard core off road.

Now here is something I take exception to that a lot of folks complain about: the stereo. Mine is PLENTY loud. Now I don't know if you got the uprated speakers and sub, but mine is loud enough to make my ears ring and vibrate the mirrors, so I really don't get the complaints. I barely ever get to listen to it loud, since this is currently our primary family machine, but when I get to wind it up, I'm totally satisfied.

I guess it's like I've said a SLEW of times; we got the hotrod version so we wouldn't have to modify it- and aside from the armor and winch, we've really stuck to that.

Still LOVE our machine. Problem is, I'm jonesing for an E39 M5 for my wife now... How hot would that be to have msbianca rolling a 400 horsepower monster?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2232
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Stupid German cars ruined me for living without toys. However, I drew the line at leather seats (in a Wrangler? Seriously?), auto climate control (um, this is a topless and doorless oriented machine still), and the $1800 GPS stereo (we got the one just below it, but I just couldn't justify $2k for a stereo).

Now here is something I take exception to that a lot of folks complain about: the stereo. Mine is PLENTY loud. Now I don't know if you got the uprated speakers and sub, but mine is loud enough to make my ears ring and vibrate the mirrors, so I really don't get the complaints. I barely ever get to listen to it loud, since this is currently our primary family machine, but when I get to wind it up, I'm totally satisfied.

Still LOVE our machine. Problem is, I'm jonesing for an E39 M5 for my wife now... How hot would that be to have msbianca rolling a 400 horsepower monster?
"For my wife....."

Very good strategy!!!!!!

As far as the stereo....the Xterra had a high end Rockford-Fosgate system with a big ass woofer...I could out-do the nearby Cholo's by thumping out Black Sabbath or Zepplin while destroying my few remaining audio neurons....

So...yeah, the stereo is whimpy....

BTW...figured out my horrible mileage is partially a result of oversized tires...I read 5-7mph lower than what I'm traveling thus less miles showing as to what was travelled...Actually getting 1-2 mpg better than the little gauge indicates....
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #2233
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

So it sounds like you didn't get the hotrod stereo. As long as you've got the sound bar, you at least have the enclosures you'll want and I've read a lot of positive stuff about guys putting poly fill in the tweeters and sound bar and (when you put one in assuming it didn't come with one) sub.

As for the M5, I've been wanting to get her a nice hotrod for a long time. We planned on ordering her a new M3 while in Germany, but she decided she wanted the G Wagen instead, and then we decided we wanted a house even more when she changed her mind to an X5. Now she just doesn't want a car payment, so it will probably be a while. Ah but it is so fun to shop...
Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #2234
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,235
My XJ as it sits. New addition is Nates 4x4 rack modified to carry kayaks.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #2235
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
My XJ as it sits. New addition is Nates 4x4 rack modified to carry kayaks.

Great looking XJ, Barry. I've never owned one but have always liked them, and a good friend of mine has one and loves it. I got a little excited/interested when Chrysler/Jeep announced that they were coming out with a new version, but when I recently saw pics of it I was very dissapointed. Looks like every other "crossover" SUV on the road these days, to wit, butt ugly IMHO.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: