Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 113 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #16
SuperSlug
The Space Worm ģ

Oddometer: 2,710
No worries man.

I think Reiter is state owned. I love fishing the Skykomish in that area (except at the hatchery, that's some scary combat-fishing...)
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
So it is not a Jeep, but I have fun anyway. In a snobish sort of manner.

Last fall found this neat old mine area above Silver City, Idaho, high in the Owyhee mountains. We were on our dual sport motorcycles, but I thought I might be able to get the ML in there so I could take my wife.

Yesterday was the day. Loaded up the ML with enough firepower to overthrow a small government and headed for Silver City.

I have no idea how to make the photos look as rough as the terrain actually is. If someone can give me some pointers, please do. In the photos the trail looks tame, but in reality, it was quite steep, loose, and rough. Not to mention narrow. Spent an hour with my rotary buffer polishing all the "racing stripes" out of the paint from all the brush and tree limbs.

Lost each of the rear bumper access panels once each. One was left on a pile of rocks and easy to retrieve, the other got ripped off as I was climbing up out of a creek and I had to chase it down the creek. Good thing it was warm because that water was ICE! If I go anywhere aggressive again I will just take the front and rear bumper covers off, about a 20 minute job. Really increases it's attack and departure angles.

One thing really impressed me. Had to navigate a couple of ledges where I was cross tetering on one of the front and rear wheel only. Two wheels airborne. The traction control worked fantastic, locking down the free wheels to transfer power to the wheels on the ground. Pulled right out of it. I was also really impressed with the hill decent feature. When locked into first gear, low range (yes, it has a two speed transfer case, with the lowest ratio gearing of any production 4x4), it will use the antilock brakes to control a decent down any slope while not locking up any wheel. I tried it while negotiating a very loose, rocky, off camber switchback where I might of gone sideways had I not been using it. I am used to two wheels, not four.

So, without further adeu, here are the photos:

This was steep enough it was hard to walk up, yet it looks flat in the photos. Any help with techniques?:mad:

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
It all depends on what you do with it, really.
There's a big difference in the hardcore 4x4 world between 10 years ago and now, as you know.
The important thing is to know what you're capable of and to have fun with it.
Even an anvil has it's limits.
actually its my daily driver. I used to have a 14 inchtravel coilover bistein setup, but it didn't handle highways well, noisy as hell with rod ends everywhere, but it had incredible articulation. expensive lesson, what may work great offroad may be a little iffy onroad, I drove it across the country pulling my jetboat (wifes bright idea) did some wheeling in Moab, then south, pick up wife in Vegas & head down to Cabo for a couple weeks then home again. I learned some things about compromise, hehehe just like riding a dualsport. My offroad excursion are few & far beween, I play in mud, & easy trails half the time & technical rock crawling the other half. soon as I'm able I will move the front axle 3 inches forward, when my driveshaft snapped I had them make me a 3 inch longer one, Ohhh & I'll let some air out of the tires nexttime, I was lazy & wanted to see what I could do with full street pressure 20 psi, I was impressed right up untill the snap, crackle, pop

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #19
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch

This was steep enough it was hard to walk up, yet it looks flat in the photos. Any help with techniques?:mad:

Great Photo's Makes me want to go there. Don't know about techniques but the pics never do justice to the difficulty do they?
I try to take shots from the side when I want to get elevation shots.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #20
easyridin5150
To young to feel this old

Oddometer: 1,675
I need some steroids...Bad!

Note the second pair of eyes peering out into the cold.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
So it is not a Jeep, but I have fun anyway. In a snobish sort of manner.
Cool to see a Mercedes off road and not in a Starbucks parking lot.

I've met Sasquatch, yeah, he's a real snob

And since he has already highjacked this thread with a non-jeep vehicle, I'll add mine

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #22
Juice Box
Got Ink?

Oddometer: 2,862
Work in Progress

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com
Juice Box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #23
Jhon

Oddometer: 2,994

Cool thread NWGS.

Like you, I love my Jeep'n (almost as much as my motorcycling!)

Hereís a couple of photos from recent trials, which my club runs on a monthly basis.

We set up eight sections using natural terrain and make it more difficult by placing Ďgatesí, using canes and marker poles along the course.

You get points if you hit a cane, come to a halt, miss a gate, etc.

All sorts of vehicles take part and itís good crack!

The Jeep does well at most events. It has several advantages over the other vehicles like Land Rover 90ís that are in my class; great axle articulation, rear LSD, superb low-down torque and a much better turning circle all help keep the points down.
Some of the disadvantages are Ė the breakover angle isnít as good and the long bonnet can make sighting tricky on steep climbs.
Oh, and itís a thirsty SOB and gearing and axle mods are more expensive.

Iíve always loved Jeeps and this one is my first. I came to Jeeps after running land Rovers for twenty years; all sorts from a 1957 Series 1 (with V8) to a V8 90 with diff-locks, auto-box, cage and other mods.

The TJ has been modded; Iím trying to strike a balance between off-road capability and on-road drivability.
A mild OME (2 ĹĒ) suspension lift, Cobra seats, 31Ē mud tyres, Borla SS exhaust, anti-sway disconnects and a Slip-yoke eliminator all help.
I know if I went to larger tyres Iíd have to regear (expensive!) fit a body lift, change the suspension again, etc. Itís not worth it.

Looking at you videos Ė nice rig. (Iím guessing thatís a modified YJ?) Do you prefer leaf springs to coils? Iíve found that even with quality aftermarket springs and damper set-ups that the leafs do not articulate as well as coils. Apart from simplicity, I see no advantage that the leafs offer over coils. (Iím prepared to be educated thoí)

A final point to ponder. I'm coming to the conclusion that for (non-competition) maximum fun off-road it would be better to fit skinny balding all-terrain tyres, rather than 35" Super Swampers and ARB diff locks.
If a vehicle is truly capable of going everywhere, the challenges that the driver has to set-it get more and more extreme, the skills of the driver start to be of secondary importance. With a mildly modded vehicle thereís more emphasis on the driver and consequently greater satisfaction when obstacles are overcome, particularly when other more heavily modified vehicles have tried and failed.
In our club we've found that a competent driver in an average vehicle will get further and score better than an average driver in a competent vehicle.

Having said that I still want a Unimog!

Jhon screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 07:25 AM
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #24
MarkC
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Not sure what it is, saw it in north east Russia being driven.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 AM   #25
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
prototype mars explorer.

So I don't know much about jeeping. Answer me some questions:

Automatic or manual transmission?

Electric or hydraulic winch?
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #26
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnô
prototype mars explorer.

most hard core rock crawling is so much easier with an auto, for everything else I'd rather have a stick

Hydro winches can usually go nonstop, but you have to keep your engine running, electric winches have to be used intermitently, I was taught 3 seconds on 5 seconds off, but if your engine dies in deep water for example, you can still pull your self to safety as long as your battery holds out

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 AM   #27
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacmat

Looking at you videos Ė nice rig. (Iím guessing thatís a modified YJ?) Do you prefer leaf springs to coils? Iíve found that even with quality aftermarket springs and damper set-ups that the leafs do not articulate as well as coils.

Road Rash we call all the rigs Jeeps. We have a race in Richland this weekend. My rig is home built. I still call it a Jeep.
My Grandpa used to call all bikes Honda's. Funny.
Yes WC's is a sprung over YJ on 35's. Most of us run 35's with a couple 36's.
I do prefer the leaf springs to coils. They seem to have a softer ride. Surprisingly I have done the RTI ramps and I'm so close to the Rubicons it doesn't matter. In fact at the point the spring rigs beat me they are almost always losing springs.

Here's a Rubicon that did not score as high. With a 4" lift and Nth degree swing arms.
He disconnected his shocks cause I beat him. Scored a smidge higher than me, then blew out his rear driveline from the overflex then next week.
Here he is before the shock disconnect.

Here's one of our race Jeeps, They don't flex as much.
He won the points championship last year and is super fast.
You'll see more of him as the season rolls on.

Here's another. First one is in the long class.
This one is short.

Here's Tammy Nwgs wifelet. aka "Better Half" and ours. 60 rear 44 front.
Rear coil and front leaf. 383 stroker about 550 hp.
If I can keep it from breakin. I'll have some pics from this coming weekend up next week.

Girls and Kids all race. Some of the girls kick some serious but.
When they got their game face on, I just get outa the way.

The List
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #28
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,489
Alright I'll Play!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #29
nwgs OP
solarfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnô
prototype mars explorer.

Electric winch seems to be the way to go. The new tech especially with the rock crawling machines they have now. They have some brutally mean winches.
Mine blew over the weekend I had a little 8000 that was a little overworked. I'm gona get a 9500 with rope rather than cable. 125' capacity.
I like the rope better for long pulls. Mostly pulling others. Haha. We rescued a guy last fall. The only winch point was up a steep cliff. Nice to have the lightweight rope rather than the heavy cable.
Some guys like the automatic trans. I like the manual more control. The guys that like the autos can rock them back and forth without working the clutch. Also less chance for clutch foot slip. I personally just like the gear ratio on the clutch. More choices.
Here's a place you don't want clutch slip.

The List
Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #30
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,175
Not a jeep but check this guy out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: