Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #496
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
I went with the JK Rubicon just so I wouldn't have to mess with things too much right out of the box. They come stock with D44's frt & rear, with E lockers, swaybar disconnect amongst other things. I don't know how much all that adds up to in the aftermarket, but I bet it ain't cheap.

But if you were to find a nice cheap base TJ or JK & aren't afraid to wrench a bit, you could build something far superior.
I bought a new Rubicon JK Ultimate, but you know, once you start looking at the upgrades, I put another 22k into it right off the bat. I hate being broken down out in the boonies. I went with the 35" tires, so I upgraded the axles. That wheel size changed the gearing, so I switched to 5.13 gears. I have a standard, so I could have a "real" locker up front, so I wanted more crawl-ability. Then they came out with the 5.38 set. Harumph. So since I had stronger axles and more leverage out on the wheels, I replaced the driveshafts and U joints with heavier stuff. It's a walking Terraflex ad, with long arm lift kit and armor. Big Warn winch. New, stronger differential case covers to help with the rock impacts. Put in an air compressor, as well as a CO2 airup tank. hiddden CB, I don't remember what all else.
I took off a lot of the upgraded Rubicon stuff because it wasn't as strong as what I wanted to end up with, so I think in my case, buying the Rubicon package was spmewhat a waste of money. I wanted something that would be good right out of the box with the Rubicon, but after I had it I just couldn't resist farkling it out with stouter stuff. It now looks pretty stock, but if you start poking around, you will figure out it is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. It still works great heading down the highway, but if you air it down it will do anything that isn't strictly buggy territory.

If I were to do it over, I would get a regular JK or CJ and give it a sensible, conservative build with an eye towards durability. That wouuld be cheaper in the end, and you could have a very strong, dependable jeep. Just sayin'.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #497
Uneasy Rider
The life of Riley

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug
I bought a new Rubicon JK Ultimate, but you know, once you start looking at the upgrades, I put another 22k into it right off the bat. I hate being broken down out in the boonies. I went with the 35" tires, so I upgraded the axles. That wheel size changed the gearing, so I switched to 5.13 gears. I have a standard, so I could have a "real" locker up front, so I wanted more crawl-ability. Then they came out with the 5.38 set. Harumph. So since I had stronger axles and more leverage out on the wheels, I replaced the driveshafts and U joints with heavier stuff. It's a walking Terraflex ad, with long arm lift kit and armor. Big Warn winch. New, stronger differential case covers to help with the rock impacts. Put in an air compressor, as well as a CO2 airup tank. hiddden CB, I don't remember what all else.
I took off a lot of the upgraded Rubicon stuff because it wasn't as strong as what I wanted to end up with, so I think in my case, buying the Rubicon package was spmewhat a waste of money. I wanted something that would be good right out of the box with the Rubicon, but after I had it I just couldn't resist farkling it out with stouter stuff. It now looks pretty stock, but if you start poking around, you will figure out it is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. It still works great heading down the highway, but if you air it down it will do anything that isn't strictly buggy territory.

If I were to do it over, I would get a regular JK or CJ and give it a sensible, conservative build with an eye towards durability. That wouuld be cheaper in the end, and you could have a very strong, dependable jeep. Just sayin'.

Your Jeep sounds pretty sweet.

But thats what I'm afraid of. The farkling gets pretty addictive quick.

Once I got that damn Quadratec catalog in the mail it was all over....

Post some more pics of that beast.
Uneasy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #498
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
I built a CJ up over the years with all the goodies, by the time I got it where I wanted it, it was kind of out dated against the tube buggies and such.
In the mean time my priorities changed, rather than gut wrenching rock crawling, I kind of morphed in to exploration. We run in to some tuff stuff and some days don't even lock in. So I bought an 06 LJ Rubicon with a 2.5 inch lift and 33's. I really had to fight off the urge to load it down with a ton of steel and burden the drive train. I'm going to add a tummy tuck and 4.88's and that's about it. I think you can get carried away with the mods, my experience at EJS is, the guys with the 80K super duper Jeeps are the ones
that usually have trouble. A bone stock Rubicon will do a lot of stuff, no need to spend a fortune to have a good time.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #499
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
I built a CJ up over the years with all the goodies, by the time I got it where I wanted it, it was kind of out dated against the tube buggies and such.
In the mean time my priorities changed, rather than gut wrenching rock crawling, I kind of morphed in to exploration. We run in to some tuff stuff and some days don't even lock in. So I bought an 06 LJ Rubicon with a 2.5 inch lift and 33's. I really had to fight off the urge to load it down with a ton of steel and burden the drive train. I'm going to add a tummy tuck and 4.88's and that's about it. I think you can get carried away with the mods, my experience at EJS is, the guys with the 80K super duper Jeeps are the ones
that usually have trouble. A bone stock Rubicon will do a lot of stuff, no need to spend a fortune to have a good time.
Great looking Jeep! Ditto on the mods, you head out in a group at EJS and the most heavily altered machines are the first ones to go CLUNKPING! and start shedding metal. Everytime. It's kind of fun to watch, in a sick way.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #500
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

My JK

Here is my Jeep. Not heavily modified, just beefed up, basically. 41/2" long arm lift, 35" tires, and the other mods from a few posts back. Climbs around on lots of stuff, and the only scratches so far are the top of the rear passenger door, from stuffing it in the Escalator on Hell's Revenge. Oops...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #501
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
JK's make 35's look small.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #502
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Great looking Jeep! Ditto on the mods, you head out in a group at EJS and the most heavily altered machines are the first ones to go CLUNKPING! and start shedding metal. Everytime. It's kind of fun to watch, in a sick way.
Last year we were on Gold Bar and a guy from Austin had a brand new 4 door that was moded to the max, including a V8. Every time he tried to climb anything it blew a fuse and died. He was not a happy camper, but made it
back eventually. You've got a nice looking rig, I'll be at the back on PS mesa
Saturday and Gold Bar Sunday if you're gonna be out there.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #503
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,483
My son has an 05 Jeep Wrangler.. Straight six and automatic. Lately when coming to a stop the Idle hunts. Feels like a loss of RPM and then surges up and settles down to an idle..

Could this be the stall speed (setting) on the Tq converter of the auto trans?

His original trans gernaded.

Chrysler sent a NEW replacement trans rather than repairing the OE unit....replaced last August under warrenty at the DEALER...
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #504
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
My son has an 05 Jeep Wrangler.. Straight six and automatic. Lately when coming to a stop the Idle hunts. Feels like a loss of RPM and then surges up and settles down to an idle..

Could this be the stall speed (setting) on the Tq converter of the auto trans?

His original trans gernaded.

Chrysler sent a NEW replacement trans rather than repairing the OE unit....replaced last August under warranty at the DEALER...
Update: Had nothing to do with the Trans according to the dealer. They did a throttle body cleaning and a fuel injection service. Also wanted $280ish to replace the plugs?? What's with that...

They said it was a stumble at idle. From my experience stumbles are usually never regular. They don't act the same way each time the happen.
This stumble did. which lead me to think it was something else. He was going to charge us $120 for the inspection alone if I refused his services recommended. No way was I going to pay him to do the plugs.

I had him do the FI service. Does anyone have a plug recommendation for these rigs... Stick with OE? other?

I've never had a fuel injected car act like the Jeep was...It only has 60,000 miles on it and it needed the T-body cleaned and the FI system blown clean too? I guess so.

Cleared up the stumble.
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #505
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,010

Slick Rock
ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #506
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek

Slick Rock
Cute! What diameter and thickness of tubing is that frame? Is it rigid enough?
Doug

Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #507
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Quote:
Cute! What diameter and thickness of tubing is that frame? Is it rigid enough?
Doug
I have no idea.

This isn't mine, but I did watch it go up that route, and over those rocks at a local OHV park. It took about 4 or 5 attempts, and some heavy throttle. One thing I noticed about this rig was that when it was on angles greater than about 45deg, Fuel leaked out of the gas tank mounted behind the driver. Not a great concern when going uphill, but a major one if going down.

Nice rig, but WAY too rich for my blood.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #508
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
I have no idea.

This isn't mine, but I did watch it go up that route, and over those rocks at a local OHV park. It took about 4 or 5 attempts, and some heavy throttle. One thing I noticed about this rig was that when it was on angles greater than about 45deg, Fuel leaked out of the gas tank mounted behind the driver. Not a great concern when going uphill, but a major one if going down.

I want to build one of those rock crawlers, maybe I should mount the fuel tank on a gimbal? Any ideas about that anyone?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #509
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
I have no idea.

rich as in too spendy?...or your eyes watered when it ran?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #510
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro
rich as in too spendy?...or your eyes watered when it ran?

yes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: