Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #1291
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Sure. Poser pic.

Just having fun.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #1292
RedRocker
Native Texican

Old Rig

New Rig
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #1293
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Very good points there, perhaps I've watched too many youtube videos of heavily built Jeeps.

We have a bone stock JK unlimited sahara as a family hauler... the stock XJ sitting next to it makes the stock JK seem like a monster truck by comparison.

A 3" rough country lift and 31's would be a very budget friendly way to build this XJ. Too many over-built jeeps on the forums are lustworthy, but the reality is that I probably wouldn't use all that equipment.
If you want to get back in the mtns or moab and see some stuff, an XJ with a cheap lift, 31's, and maybe a rear locker will get you anyplace you are likely to want to take the fam.

Can you do all the super cool rock crawler 1/2 mile trails around moab? nope...

But you can do all the killer 40 mile trails that really take you to see something.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #1294
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
That's where I'm at, I'm 63 and laying on my back in the dirt fixing broken Jeeps ain't my idea of a good time anymore. We spend all day in the back country exploring, might not even use 4WD most of the day, then come to some place that requires everything you've got. Like everything else, whatever floats your boat is what it's all about.
Yeah, the rock-crawler type trails usually involve a trailer to get your rig there, with same trailer to get your broken rig home if you snap one of your giant axles.

The guys who gets 50 miles back from a road, or more, don't take the tougher line just for the heck of it because broken parts mean a long walk, or at best a fix in the dirt.

Expedition 4wheelin' is a completely different animal from crawling... And more fun, IMHO. And you see the cool stuff
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #1295
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Plain ol' XJ... It usually has a bit more clearance in the back, but it always seems to have a road-trips worth of crap back there squatting the rear...

+

Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #1296
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,978
just a little creek crossing

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #1297
RedRocker
Native Texican

KSJEEPER, we have a group of about six vehicles that get together every fall and explore different areas of Utah, Escalante, Green River or wherever.
Get up at 8 for breakfast, head out and get in around 9 PM or later every night.
One of the guys will stay out there for a month or two, retired, unfortunately a week is all I get. We see some cool stuff, I live for that trip. All of us lead or gun trails at EJS, but set it up to work the early part of the week so we can explore way out of town the rest of the time. Next year we're only working Big Saturday and stay the following week to do some exploring. There was a time years ago when I gunned Pritchett canyon three or four days a week and that got pretty old. Now it's been torn up by the big buggies so I stay out of those places.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #1298
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Yeah, the rock-crawler type trails usually involve a trailer to get your rig there, with same trailer to get your broken rig home if you snap one of your giant axles.

The guys who gets 50 miles back from a road, or more, don't take the tougher line just for the heck of it because broken parts mean a long walk, or at best a fix in the dirt.

Expedition 4wheelin' is a completely different animal from crawling... And more fun, IMHO. And you see the cool stuff
+1. I don't have the balls, the skills, or the interest to be a serious rock crawler guy. My wife also informs me that she is not interested in that sort of stuff. My/Our focus too is the expedition aspect. We use our Jeep to go places that are too far to hike to, or are just more fun with the Jeep.

I've also had a chance to ride in a few really modded Jeeps over the last month. While they were not dedicated "trailer to the trail" Jeeps, they were pretty close. Their on road manners with their 35's and 37's IMHO eliminate them from being the vehicle we use to run into town with, or out with friends, or even drive 100 miles away to explore. Am thinking more and more of just leaving my 06 LJ unmolested in the suspension or wheel/tire size department and spending more time exploring the 90% of the stuff we can with the Jeep the way it is.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #1299
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
If you want to get back in the mtns or moab and see some stuff, an XJ with a cheap lift, 31's, and maybe a rear locker will get you anyplace you are likely to want to take the fam.

Can you do all the super cool rock crawler 1/2 mile trails around moab? nope...

But you can do all the killer 40 mile trails that really take you to see something.
Yeah, simple and low-risk exploring is the goal. Cheap lift and 31's are the goal, but I'm taking it slow and digging for deals on craigslist.

The closest interesting wheeling for us are some great fire roads in West Virginia about 3 hours away. Easy and fun, and a great way to get started I think.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #1300
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by southforkspeedster View Post
just a little creek crossing

Nice CJ7. It's was sad to see them chopped up before people figured out that making a buggy from scratch was a better option.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #1301
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Am thinking more and more of just leaving my 06 LJ unmolested in the suspension or wheel/tire size department and spending more time exploring the 90% of the stuff we can with the Jeep the way it is.

Tom
Since that pic of my LJ, I've gone to 33 10.50 TA's, it came with OME suspension and a one inch body lift. The only thing I've added was a tummy tuck and it's aluminum to save weight.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #1302
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Mud puddle.

Snow.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #1303
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Nice CJ7. It's was sad to see them chopped up before people figured out that making a buggy from scratch was a better option.
Thank you. I agree. I have two unmolested cj 7s, the one shown is an 86, and this one is an 84.

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #1304
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post

The road to my moms place looks a lot like this in the winter, and I'm the only one in the family that ever has a 4x4.

Yep....IL sucks.

05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #1305
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
KSJEEPER, we have a group of about six vehicles that get together every fall and explore different areas of Utah, Escalante, Green River or wherever.
Get up at 8 for breakfast, head out and get in around 9 PM or later every night.
One of the guys will stay out there for a month or two, retired, unfortunately a week is all I get. We see some cool stuff, I live for that trip. All of us lead or gun trails at EJS, but set it up to work the early part of the week so we can explore way out of town the rest of the time. Next year we're only working Big Saturday and stay the following week to do some exploring. There was a time years ago when I gunned Pritchett canyon three or four days a week and that got pretty old. Now it's been torn up by the big buggies so I stay out of those places.
Nice, wish I lived closer to the good stuff. Career keeps me here in the boring part of the country, but will also hopefully allow me to hang it up pretty early and live somewhere more fun

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: