ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #61
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
Yo Lucky:
Your brother says you should buy my DRZ.
indeed.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #62
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

We are up to 16 riders, not counting Willy B yet til I get a definite. Should be a good group.

Kuntz
Scribe
Suches Rider
Sanjoh
Top Dog
Sinner
Coates
Swampy
Hungry Jim (best screen name EVER)
Bumar
Kevin the Banjo Man
Pit Bitch
Wheedle
Olde Man
GA Thumper
Flan8tive
Redfish Guide
Billy (?)

More than likely this will be ending up everyone pays their way as we go. To make things easier, I will collect envelopes from Whissenhunt prior to the ride and bring them in the am...after we load the truck Jen said she'd drive to Whissy and deposit our wad of $5 bills before we get there so we'll be good to go. My wife friggin' rules.

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 05-29-2007 at 02:39 PM
Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #63
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
i blame it on the president.
Watch it before I go nu-cu-lar on ya!
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #64
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
i bet this ride is gonna suck. im so not excited for it. flux is lame.
I'm looking forward to your "lame little adventure" flux

still waiting to hear the time and place (I've got a long ride to get there) I need to get psyched out about what time I need to get on the road.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #65
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Yeah, your 1200 would have problems Keith! I'll do another one for big bikes soon enough.

Kevin- the meeting place will be somewhere in Dawsonville...just pinning down an exact location....also the time will probably be 8ish. I will get these pinned down this week.

We preran some of the route today. When I get some time tomorrow I'll post up more details.

Take care kids, have a good Monday off.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #66
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
Hey Flux

If you have room for one more count me in. I believe I can clear my schedule and would love to join you.

Jack
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #67
sinner
Flea or not to Flea?

Oddometer: 484
Where can we get GAS for the Sunday ride. and i take it, it will be after Church

Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #68
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Redfishguide....you are on the list dude. Glad you can make it. Always like meeting new faces.

Sinner- there is a gas station directly across the street from TWO where we are camping. Gas will not be a problem for anyone.

Will be posting more info shortly...
Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #69
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Updated Information

All right folks...got some new updated info for everyone. I will PM everyone listed with the exact meeting spot. Sorry, but to make sure I keep it under 20 riders I decided not to post the Saturday spot in public. It is too hard to manage more than that, and usually we got some lurkers showing up that never let me know ahead of time so I can make a PLAN!

* I will show up around 7:45- 8:00am... I'd really like to have it be kickstands up by 8:30. Of course we'll give it a few minutes after 8:30 if everyone hasn't made it. My cell works there just fine, I will PM to everyone also.

* My wife, Jen, will have my pickup there. Be prepared to throw your gear (tent, sleeping bag, etc) in the truck. Anything you don't need during the day that you don't want to be bothered with on the ride. Also, we will have 2 or 3 coolers filled with ice on board...feel free to toss beer, cokes, whatever in there. TWO is a dry county...you cannot buy any alcohol there, and it is quite a drive to the nearest place. We can also take your own personal coolers, but remember that space is limited to what she can fit safely in the truck so pack light.

* TWO does have a pool which we can swim in, and the Toccoa River is mighty nice for a dip, too, so consider bringing trunks and a towel. They also have showers and shitters if ya need that, too.

* Come to ride having already eaten breakfast. Bring trail snacks. We might not stop for lunch, so be prepared for that. Then again, we might be able to snag something...you never know! Also, bring plenty of water. Nothing is worse than running out. Especially since it has been so dry here, it is really dusty and you will want it.

* We will give $5 each to Jen to collect which will pay our riding fees for Whissenhunt. She will drop the $ off at the dropbox for us so we don't need to bother with it at all. Cool, huh?

* I do have someone in place to ride sweep so do not worry you will not get left behind. We will always wait for everyone at intersections. My one rule is that you are respsonible for the guy behind you. If you look in your mirror and don't see someone, slow down and wait for a minute. If everyone does this, it works, trust me. Also, if we don't get some damn rain around here before the ride we are gonna split into 2 groups that will ride not too far behind each other. That'll help with the dust, a little. Might wanna bring a bandana or something.

Itinerary:

* We will depart and head out for a great day of dual sporting. I'll show everyone the infamous "First Section" and Whissenhunt ORV park http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/ohv/whissenhunt.shtml in the morning. At Whissy, you can either take the main trail back to the parking lot and wait for awhile or stick with me and ride a nice loop through the park. The main trail is pretty easy, but it a 2 way trail, and you REALLY need to WATCH for people hauling ass towards you. Remember, Whissy is a dirtbike and ATV area and people fly. Also, you will be going against the main flow of traffic the way we are coming in. The route I am taking ranges from easy to hard...starting off with a kick ass hillclimb. These trails, too, are mostly 2 way, although we will do one section that is the park's only one way trail, difficult, singletrack. Good stuff. This should take 1- 2 hours. There is a bailout point halfway through the good stuff if you end up deciding it is too difficult.

* From there we will regroup at the Whissy parking lot, then head North towards Suches. Some of this will require a little bit of pavement, but not much. We can stop for gas if need be at this point. I reckon we will head towards the Toccoa river, and back towards Suches in time for dinner at TWO http://www.twowheelsonly.com/ and to get camp set up. Jen will already be there waiting with your gear and more importantly, the drinks.

* Sunday we'll wake up again pretty early...we'll aim for a departure around let's say 9 at the absolute latest, but we'll try to leave earlier than that. I want everyone to have time to get breakfast and all that. You will pay for your camping and dinner and breakfast on Sunday morning, and you will pay the good folks at TWO....tent camping is $12.

* We'll head north of Suches for a bit, and angle our way back down. I estimate we'll be back at the cars around 4 or so. Anything could happen, though, just ask Kuntz. Sunday will be more laid back, and somewhat easier, but still fun and some good stuff thrown in again as well.

If anyone has any questions, or needs anything, please let me know and I will help as best as I can. I'll get info for local hotels in case anyone wants to be here Friday night. If y'all from FL come up Friday and wanna get dinner or beers or whatever, let me know.

Hotels in Dawsonville area: http://www.orbitz.com/App/shared/pagedef/results/hotel.jsp?OSC=Gc4DKBHgJX!-493622529!183185242!7001!-1&z=a33e&r=1&z=a340&r=3&lastPage=interstitial I recommend the hotels in Dahlonega if you want nicer...if cheap is your thing, stay in Dawsonville. The Holiday Inn Express in Dahlonega is probably the nicest chain hotel around I guess. http://www.sidestep.com/hotels-rates-h21092-holiday_inn_express_dahlonega_dahlonega_ga

Looking forward to it, fellas.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #70
sinner
Flea or not to Flea?

Oddometer: 484
Talking

O' this is looking good, THANKS>

Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #71
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
Hey Flux,

I'll probably head up early Friday. Might be easier for me to camp at TWO then meet you in Dawsonville Saturday am. Is it a long ride from TWO to the meeting point in Dawsonville?

Also thanks for putting this together.

Jack
Beaufort S.C.
http://tinyurl.com/4dndf
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #72
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 510
Lookin' Good... Thanks a bunch for putting it together!

It's about 30 miles from Suches to Dawsonville on the slab and will take about 45 minutes depending on your speed. Down 60 to 19 to 52 probably

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #73
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide
Hey Flux,

I'll probably head up early Friday. Might be easier for me to camp at TWO then meet you in Dawsonville Saturday am. Is it a long ride from TWO to the meeting point in Dawsonville?

Also thanks for putting this together.

Jack
Beaufort S.C.
http://tinyurl.com/4dndf
I'm hoping to do this also.....if I can trade off my scheduled 2nd shift at work Fri to at least work 1st shift instead......plenty of time so it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise it's get home at midnight and ride by 4am

Hi Jack,
Did we meet on Bert's D/S ride during Bike Week this March? If we did you wouldn't recognize me now anyway.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 AM   #74
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,684
Is there a place to buy garbage bags on the route?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #75
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Ga Thumper has those times right...it is a twisty stretch of slab to get to Dawsonville from Suches. Nice views along the way.

Last time it got a little cold if I remember right...