Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #16
BMW4LIFE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the info. Where did you guys get a CDI box for $100. I checked with my dealer and he told me $140 . If you know somewhere I can get one for 100 please let me know.
BMW4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #17
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE
Thanks for the info. Where did you guys get a CDI box for $100. I checked with my dealer and he told me $140 . If you know somewhere I can get one for 100 please let me know.
I think I got mine online from http://www.servicehonda.com/ or it might have been http://www.ronayers.com/
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
BMW4LIFE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Well it's back up and running. I found some moisture in the plugs on the CDI. I dryed them out and all is good. Thanks to everyone for your great help. You guys really know your stuff !!!
BMW4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Hey guys, I have the same issue, won't start. Was cruising down the street last week, and she just died, wouldn't restart. I checked the CDI, and can hear it clicking when I push the start button. Also, I pulled the spark plug wire, to check for spark, but it is very weak, and you see some spark even when you're not cranking. Very strange. Any ideas.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
NOw that's a bit weird......

So you have constant power to the plug wire?

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
yes, a small amount. No where near the amount for a normal spark, but enough to see it clearly. The CDI clicks, is it supposed to do that? The service manual states that a bad pulse generator may be the cause of not starting. Thoughts?
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #22
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
yes, a small amount. No where near the amount for a normal spark, but enough to see it clearly. The CDI clicks, is it supposed to do that? The service manual states that a bad pulse generator may be the cause of not starting. Thoughts?
You have to have a short or arc somewhere... Moisture, or exposed wires.... Have you tried starting it for prolonged periods? Like kept your finger on the starter for long perods of time? if so you could have caused a heat up somewhere and melted some wires exposing them..

Just a thought...

But that sounds way beyond my skills diagnosing over the intraweb...

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #23
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,137
The on/off switch at the starter button gets corroded and fails... Not IF, but WHEN... You can take it apart and a wire brush or sand paper to the contacts, then a little dielectric grease and you are good to go. It has happened on all 3 of my "L"s...

Early maintenance will prevent the eminent. Try turning the switch on and off several times....

Best of luck!!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
The on/off switch at the starter button gets corroded and fails... Not IF, but WHEN... You can take it apart and a wire brush or sand paper to the contacts, then a little dielectric grease and you are good to go. It has happened on all 3 of my "L"s...

Early maintenance will prevent the eminent. Try turning the switch on and off several times....

Best of luck!!!!
+1

Me too.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #25
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
A bad pulse generator is probably the cause. There is no way you can get an arc across the plug at standard voltages and it is imposible to get system voltage at the plug. The power at the plug is created in the coil by a colapsing magnetic field from the secondary winding which excites the primary winding creating the massive voltage needed to jump the gap on the plug. 12v will not jump the gap.

In the old days points and condensor used to create the pulse needed to work the coil but now it is all electronic and I think it is handled by the ECM but I could be wrong.

I would grab your VOM meter and try finding the problem over just replacing parts.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE
Well it's back up and running. I found some moisture in the plugs on the CDI. I dryed them out and all is good. Thanks to everyone for your great help. You guys really know your stuff !!!
It will do it again, I promise. My 94' did it recently. About 6 months ago I was riding and it just died. I checked all I could on the side of the road with no results. So in a last ditch effort I unplugged the CDI unit and checked the connections and plugged it back in. Bingo up and running. 2 weeks ago it did the same thing, this time nothing I did would make it start. After doing the OHMs checkes on the system could not find anything else wrong. Went to the dealer and paid $139.89 (plus tax) for a new CDI unit. Plugged it in and it started on the first bump of the switch.
I have been told that is it goes out in the heat then you can put it in the freezer and it will start and is it quits in the cold you can take a hair dryer and heat it up and it will start. Both of these are temp fixes and it WILL go out again. Plan for it and buy a CDI and have it on hand. I wish I had done this when I first had a problem.

As for the dealer saying they don't go bad... BULL S$#T. ANything will go bad dealing with electronics. Another member here locally had his go out on a 2004 model with under 7k on the clock. He bought a used one from another member that had a wrecked XRL.
Replace it just for the piece of mind. IMO

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #27
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Count me as another testament to the CDI failing on an XRL. Bought a '98 with 7k on the odometer, the CDI failed 500 miles later. Found a new one and it was great, the starter switch on mine was also severely corroded and would occasionally not make good contact, so I replaced it too.

They certainly do fail.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
CDI Dead or dying

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as my 2001 XR650L has a strange intermittent spark. When trying to start it, it fires once but won't run. Backfires like a freakin' cannon through the exhaust when it does fire. I pulled the plug and layed it against the cylinder head. When cranking the engine, the plug fires once when the start switch is engaged and does not spark while the engine spins over. When I let off the starter button, the plug fires once more. I swapped numerous plugs, no change. Unplugged CDI harness and checked connectors...clean and dry. Checked safety switches and kill switch, no problems there. Is this symtomatic of a bad CDI? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....thanks!
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Cdi

Here ya go, just read all of the above posts and go buy a new CDI and watch your bike start right up.

I have a spare CDI on the shelf for when my son's quits AGAIN I am prepared...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #30
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Here ya go, just read all of the above posts and go buy a new CDI and watch your bike start right up.

I have a spare CDI on the shelf for when my son's quits AGAIN I am prepared...
I carry one on trips - just no saying when it will fail.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple