Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #31
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Did the ohm-check on the ignition/kill switch, coil, plug wire, and pulse generator....all within spec (some a little off, but it's 31 degrees F outside and my meter is about 10 years old). I just ordered a CDI from Honda; no dealer in the area stocks one and the cheapest I could get was $148 tax included. I sure hope this does the trick!
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #32
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Question Help...need someone to run a test

Hey, I followed the troubleshooting procedure in the Shop Maual and ended up ordering a new CDI unit from Honda. It didn't work! Can somebody with an XR650L run a test for me? I need to verify that when you spin the motor over with the starter the plug fires consistantly. Mine is firing once when I initially hit the starter button....and again when I let OFF the starter button. When it spins over in between.....no sparking. Put in brand new plug (tried three others), NEW CDI, checked ohms on coil and Pulse Generator (all within spec). I could really use some good input here!! My next step is a new Pulse Generator, but I'd rather know for sure before sinking more money on this fishing expedition.

Ricky Rocket screwed with this post 12-18-2009 at 05:29 PM
Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #33
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
Hey Ricky! Just for kicks, please try this...

While turning the motor over, quickly rock the red kill button switch (not the keyswitch) back and forth. Let us know if that does anything.

My XR would occationally have no spark, when I would do that with the switch it would fire right up...can't really explain why because it never lost spark or sputtered while riding it...it was just a problem with starting.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #34
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
The kill switch sounds like the culprit for sure, maybe take it apart, clean and slather some dielectric grease on the inside. I hope you find it! I have had several fail, all with similar sounding problems
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #35
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
I would bet money you got a bad ground somewhere.

Check the ground on the coil.
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #36
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
The kill switch sounds like the culprit for sure, maybe take it apart, clean and slather some dielectric grease on the inside. I hope you find it! I have had several fail, all with similar sounding problems
yes, and I guess you could just wire around it temporarily too for testing
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #37
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Another vote for the pulse generator. Mine went bad too. It had me totally stumped, so I had to take it into the shop and sure enough, it was the pulse generator, which I fixed myself (but did have to pay for the diagnostic work).
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #38
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Where I am now........bike starts fine when key on, kill switch on, clutch lever out and in neutral IF THE SIDE STAND IS UP! If I try and start it with the side stand down...no go. It doesn't matter if I hold the clutch in or not (by the way, I do have continuity across clutch switch when engaged). Anybody ever have the 3-way diode (up behind headlight shrould) go bad? When I remove the diode and jump the green/white to the green/red from the neutral switch it starts fine w/out having to lower the side stand. For whatever reason, when the side stand is down the bike won't start. The neutral light goes on in neutral, so the neutral switch must be working?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #39
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

It's the kickstand switch.... It may be easily bypassed by splicing the wires together. I cut mine 2" before the plug under the seat and left the connector on the bike, just in case I ever have to reconnect.....
Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #40
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Thanks, I pulled the switch and tried to clean it; it looks like it's sealed. It didn't do much good, I'm not sure how to pull it apart....does it come apart? There was a switch off a later XR on eBayfor $16; I bought that and figure I'll try it out. Any ideas on how to pull the switch apart? If I keep this up, I'll have built myself a whole new freakin' bike!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #41
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

I believe there is a tab to push on the connector and it pulls apart. I really have not ridden a bike with the neutral switch, kickstand switch, etc. more than a few feet (except street bikes...). I remove or disconnect all that stuff right away. This prevents the dilemma you are in now and keeps me riding. Just cut the wire and twist them together anywhere. You can always reconnect them if you feel the need.

I am sure there are others that can assist far better than me!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #42
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 662
xr650l Hard to Start

Guys,

I'm having problems starting bike after not riding for a couple of days. Bike has 6400 kms on it. Fired immediately when new. Have not checked valve clearance yet but will do that shortly. Bought new in Summer. Temp now is around 30 F. Have to hold starter button longer than usual. Any ideas?
JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #43
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,087
XRL cranks fine, but won't start

Will crank with kill switch in either position (off or run). No spark. Ideas? I'm going to pull kill switch first and clean up.
Thanks,
Jim
2004 XR650L.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #44
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40
Will crank with kill switch in either position (off or run). No spark. Ideas? I'm going to pull kill switch first and clean up.
Thanks,
Jim
2004 XR650L.
Hit the CDI.

-then-

Pull both wires from the clutch switch and ground them both.

(or perform in reverse order)

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #45
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Fixed!

Well, figured I update the thread on this nightmare. After all the troubleshooting I ordered a new pulse generator. I unplugged the old one and plugged the new one to the harness. I pulled the sparkplug and left it hanging off the lead. Previously when the bike wouldn't spark I'd test the plug against the frame and no spark. This time when it wouldn't start I did the same....no spark. With the new pulse generator plugged to the harness I waved a screwdriver across the "nib" that sticks out from the pulse generator (the trigger point) and a bright blue spark jumped the plug gap. So, I pulled the side cover and the old pulse generator had some metal filings stuck to it, removed it and installed the new one. Put the cover back on and presto!