Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Enjoyed your video!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
SnowFarmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wow looks like a fantastic ride. A lot of the photos had familiar landscape.
Your ride is inspirational.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #18
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Luke how did you guys ride home from Torrey, slab or back on the trail?
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #19
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Sorry I'm not quicker with the write-ups.

Doug;

We slabbed it back- 50 to 80 to 12. It was a lot quicker, but after a hundred miles of slab on those bikes we started eyeing the powerline/fenceline tracks.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #20
Luke
GPoET&P

Day 4.

Our breakfast is unremarkable. The hummingbird's is not. A tiny little hummingbird is hunting. It flys up fifty feet above a bushy tree, and then dives straight down at the tree to catch an insect. At the bottom of the dive it has picked up amazing speed, and, it turns back up and repeats the routine- about ten times in a minute. The hummingbird doesn't sound right- it has a chirp like a cricket- only at hummingbird speed.

Packed up and on the road, we come out of a different sort of canyon

This lead us to the only flaw in the route. A half mile down into the valley floor we came to the first locked gate. We went back to the last turn and tried the other way. It took us out in a slightly different direction, but a few turns later (still aided by the GPS) and we were back on track with less than two miles detour. Quite comforting when you're on tight fuel budget.

The Valley floor was a network of sandy doubletrack

Gosh, where'd Tom go?

The next pass had a well-kept livestock pen:

Followed by a very well-surveyed road:

We actually turned off this really straight road and headed south to the only other sign of civilization in the Valley:

This watering hole was created by bulldozer. There was no sign of cattle, but the ducks seemed to like it. There was a rather indignant mallard circling the pond when I took this picture.

One last pass, and we were in Pioche. Not too soon, either. The whole section was about 240 miles, and I did the last two miles on reserve. Tom has the stock CV carb on his bike, so he had another gallon or so. The section was supposed to be 210 miles, but we didn't think to refill after the first false start.

Lunch in Pioche was a rather tastey cheesesteak sandwich and lots of iced tea.

An hour later and we were in Utah! We followed the railroad tracks through a couple of towns that only exist on the map. Apparently they were surveyed for a dozen or so streets each, but no one built on them. The plots are available on ebay, of course.

After the empty dirt highways of rural Nevada, crossing I-15 was surreal. An overpass with no ramps goes over the interstate which was thick with vehicles.

The next pass in Utah (from Paragonah to Panguitch) was a really strange surface. It was dirt, without sand or big rocks or anything. Naturally, I lowsided on a wide easy corner. At first I blamed my tire pressure. It did feel funny, I swear. That wasn't it, so I just had to blame my own tiredness
No damage besides some scratches and more tears in the saddlebag straps.

On to an ATV trail marked medium. As it turned out, the trail was much easier than any medium we'd ridden before. That was just fine with me.

Welcome to Utah:

The road dropped us into Panguitch, where we splurged on a hotel room. Actually, we splurged on showers, and got a room and beds thrown in for free. What a deal!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:45 AM   #21
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,463
Very nice so far!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #22
Kaneman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Great job man!! You guys are hardcore for sure, it was great hanging out with you in Torrey. Perhaps our paths will cross again one day...

Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #23
Kaneman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Great job man!! You guys are hardcore for sure, it was great hanging out with you in Torrey. Perhaps our paths will cross again one day...

Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:57 AM   #24
Luke
GPoET&P

Day 5- Thursday.

We're only a few hours from Torrey, and we have three different routes available.
Route one is up and over- there's a high plateau south of Torrey, but the a ranger said it was still snowed in.
Route two is sortof around. It takes pavement up to the town of Antimony, then up and over the hills- but not as high as route one. We have been warned that it is difficult- a rider on a big GS had to turn back.
Route three is pavement.

We left Panguitch and crossed through the forest:

Yes, there are some trees off in the distance.

There was not a hint of snow to be seen

so we decided to see if it had all melted since two weeks ago when Tom talked to the ranger.

We climbed up high

A little trailside maintainance..... hmmmm.... it's got a slide carb jetted for sea level, we're at 10,000 feet and it's running like crap. Maybe the air filter is dirty. There are way to many picures of me fussing with my bike in this report. And no, this isn't the last one, dammit.

Nope, air filter's cleaner than it ought to be. Now what's that under the trees over there?

One mile later, and we are denied:

The first snow was about a foot deep, and we crossed it without too much trouble. This one was six feet deep, and there were more further down the road. Too pile on the insult, the clouds dropped some half-inch hailstones on us. Looks like it's time for plan B.

We backtracked to the paved road, and took it up to Antimony. It was pretty nice pavement- namely there was no other traffic. At Antimony we turned off and went up some nice steep and rocky switchbacks until we got to a lower plateau. We found out later that the GS rider who was turned back was two-up at the time.

An accidental landscape at the top of the plateau:

A few uneventful miles later, and we're in Torrey.
We have a burger at the local burger joint then head back to Bob's place where we have a campsite reserved (on his back lawn). No one's around, so we find the wine and settle on the front porch.
Time to celebrate
Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 AM   #25
Luke
GPoET&P

Day 6: Two little rides

Alright, so the best news is that Bob's lawn is really soft- makes for a great night's sleep even on a thin mattress. Almost as good is the fact that none of the five or so other people camped on the lawn snore too badly. It's a bmwst rally, so there are around 160 riders in a town of 300.

Tom and I took a short ride out to Capitol Reef NP. Bob suggested the route to us. We started with the official senic drive

Then headed up a dirt road into a canyon

The bikes handle so much better without the luggage.

The road turned to a track in a wash which we followed for a couple of miles, then the trail went uphill and turned rocky. On one section with some stair steps I got my first ever pinch flat.

Oh joy. The tire had 20 psi in it, I though that was supposed to be enough.
I had a patch kit and pump with me, so it would have been an easy enough fix except that I found out the hard way pinch flats come in pairs. Tube back off, and stick on another patch. Let's try 25 psi this time.

Enjoy the flowers while the patch is drying

With the tire fixed, we followed the road out of the park into the Dixie National Forest

We came out of the dirt on Highway 12, which we took back to Torrey.

After lunch, we took a quick spin up to the OHV area north of town. We rode around, got a little lost, and had a great time.
Here's a rocky climb:

A rainbow, after getting ourselves unlost:

Sand Flat (if it's not, we never found it)

and a rocky descent:

And a parting flower shot:

In the evening we socialized with the rest of the rally folks but took no pictures. Kaneman did a great job of covering it, though.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #26
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Very nice guys

Nate

ps -you wouldn't hapen to have the track logs from the GPS?
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #27
GregPoole
Gnarly Coot

Oddometer: 339
Nice post! I stumbled on it today during lunch at work, and I thought, hmmm those two guys look awfully familiar. We met you two and your friend (I guess) on a WeeStrom at Brink's Burgers in Torrey on Friday afternoon. My wife & I rode up on that big-ass GS all loaded down. You said you'd been "riding around" the area. Some ride...
GregPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #28
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
are you going to post your gps tracks?
haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #29
Luke
GPoET&P

Day 7, Saturday.
Let's face it though, by Wednesday the date was pretty hazy. Good thing the camera keeps track of it.

Today was going to be a big organized day- the rally was in full swing.

First we (all 160 some participants) went up to the top of Hwy 72 for a short memorial. The original driving force behind the Torrey rally was Gleno, who was killed in traffic earlier this year. By all acounts, a top-notch guy.

After, a few of us formed up for a dualsport ride to Cathedral Valley

Hmmm. a gaggle of V-stroms and GSs piloted by dirt noobs, two KTMs and a KLR. All being lead by a guy on a Honda 450x. That's got potential.

Everyone rode up to a parking lot, where Tom and I took off to explore some side roads while everyone regrouped. We made it up to some snow before turning back. It turns out that if we had kept going, we would have ended up where we were riding yesterday afternoon.

After about 45 minutes, we got back to where we turned off from the original route and figured that everyone else had to be ahead of us, so we headed down to the valley. It is gorgeous down there, and once we got down off the gravel, the road was really fun too.

At this point, we were way past where the rest of the group should have been. The GPS suggested that there was another road up to where we started, so we followed it.

A few miles up the road through some rather nasty mud, we met Bob (the ride leader on the 450) and Jonathan, a dirt noob on an 1150GS. It turned out that the group had spent an hour and a half at the parking lot looking at an oil leak, and eventually all but these two had turned back.

We headed back down the hill and south through the valley

Looking down another valley:

Bob spinning a yarn about the park to Tom and Jonathan:

Wandering around to the south

Talk about an 'almost' picture. Should've aimed just a little higher.

Standing under the Temple of the Moon

Road through the slick rock hills

The cactii were blooming:

And off into some bluish green hills. Since when is dry rock blue-green?

The rest of the day was slab back to Torrey. We split up on the way back, but saw Bob sneaking off a dirt road later and followed him into town.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #30
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Great report!
motowest is online now   Reply With Quote