Anyone in Jacksonville, FL?

PirateJohn screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 07:35 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Oddometer: 209
bump...

Just got my DRZ this past month. I live in Jax Beach and have already scouted out a bit of dirt for riding in the area. If anyone is up for riding, please post here.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
bronc3
Lucky 13

Oddometer: 1,731
[quote=g27radio]bump...

I live in Jax Beach and have already scouted out a bit of dirt for riding in the area. quote]

What's left? I haven't lived up there in a long time. I am sure the dunes by the Regency Mall on Atlantic are all built up, as well as the dunes at Beach Blvd and Blanding. Man, those places were killer........

Looks like Butler/San Pablo is building like crazy as well.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc3
What's left? I haven't lived up there in a long time. I am sure the dunes by the Regency Mall on Atlantic are all built up, as well as the dunes at Beach Blvd and Blanding. Man, those places were killer........

Looks like Butler/San Pablo is building like crazy as well.
Mostly dirt county roads, but there are a couple places to get off the road here and there. Pine Island Rd off of US1 (between Jax and St Aug.) Ft Georges Island off of Heckscher (near the ferry) has some nice roads to ride on, but that's more of a mellow kind of "keep it low profile" ride because it's a state park.

For beach riding there's Vilano Beach (off A1A before you hit St Aug, 10mph speed limit) and Huguenot Memorial Park (also by the ferry on Heckscher/A1A, 5mph speed limit, 50 cent entry fee.) Obviously you can't go nuts, but it's still kinda fun. I'll be posting some video from yesterday at Huguenot in a minute.

There are some powerlines with trails off of them between 210 and Racetrack road, west of I-95. The section of powerlines immediately off of 210 is posted, so you have to head a little north to find the sections that aren't posted or gated.

I've also heard locally that people ride of the powerlines somewhere near Atlantic and 9A. Someone else told me there are some dunes or something out by the Jacksonville Zoo, but I haven't checked that out yet either.

I'm planning on trying out Ocala this weekend if the weather cooperates.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Good to hear from y'all!

We (maybe 2-3 of us lately) still get together at Parson's every so often but I am open to offers for other places and other times.

Anyone want to get together one of these nights and shoot the breeze?

I've been wanting to get a better off road bike but right now I have to manage with an R1150GS. Even the R1100GS is down for maintenance right now and that sucks!

If you want to email me directly the best address is PirateJohn@aol.com. AOL and ADVRider have had a bit of a falling out and I think that anything send from this site basically goes into the garbage.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Good to hear from y'all!

We (maybe 2-3 of us lately) still get together at Parson's every so often but I am open to offers for other places and other times.

Anyone want to get together one of these nights and shoot the breeze?
I'm always up for a couple beers. I've driven by Parson's a bunch of times but I've never been in the place. I usually go to Spare Time (corner of 3rd St and 17th Ave North, across from Goodyear) because they have cheap beer and decent wings.

Also, Twisted Sisters on Beach has good food, good music, plenty of chicks, and the owners are real cool people. It's a bit more upscale so food and drinks cost a bit more there.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Post your next meeting. I have a GS live in Jax and I have another buddy at Atlantic Beach with a GS. We will try and join you next time.

Thanks
Rich
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Well, if anyone's bored tonight I'll be heading out to Spare Time at the beach around 7 or 7:30PM. If anyone wants to meet up there PM me first in case I get sidetracked
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g27radio
Well, if anyone's bored tonight I'll be heading out to Spare Time at the beach around 7 or 7:30PM. If anyone wants to meet up there PM me first in case I get sidetracked

Damn. It's 10:50 and I am sitting at a place in Arlington so I missed this gig.

I'd vote for Twisted Sister. Great ahi tuna. Even though they ran off some of the cheapskates that used to be part of our vintage club ;)

Let's set a date for Twisted Sisters. What will work for Youse Guys?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Quote:
Damn. It's 10:50 and I am sitting at a place in Arlington so I missed this gig.

I'd vote for Twisted Sister. Great ahi tuna. Even though they ran off some of the cheapskates that used to be part of our vintage club ;)

Let's set a date for Twisted Sisters. What will work for Youse Guys?
I'll be around tomorrow. I'm probably headed to Ocala National Forest to ride on Friday/Saturday but it's still kinda up in the air at this point.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #11
PirateJohn OP
Banned

"Tomorrow" being Thursday, i.e. today as I am writing this?

My office is down here at The Beaches. Give me a call at 904/673-0932 if you want (and, yes, I do answer the phone as PirateJohn!) and we can grab a beer and some vittles after work if you want.

What I was thinking about doing was seeing if we could schedule something for perhaps Tuesday thru Thursday afternoon of next week and try to get the word around and see who might show up. There were a handful of GS riders in the old vintage club and some folks with off road bikes - I might be able to get some of them to show up with a little notice.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Quote:
"Tomorrow" being Thursday, i.e. today as I am writing this?

My office is down here at The Beaches. Give me a call at 904/673-0932 if you want (and, yes, I do answer the phone as PirateJohn!) and we can grab a beer and some vittles after work if you want.

What I was thinking about doing was seeing if we could schedule something for perhaps Tuesday thru Thursday afternoon of next week and try to get the word around and see who might show up. There were a handful of GS riders in the old vintage club and some folks with off road bikes - I might be able to get some of them to show up with a little notice.
I'm pretty flexible about which afternoon to meet. I'll give you a call shortly about beers tonight. Also, I just posted my "Florida Primaries" ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306955
Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #13
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Wednesday get together

I emailed some of y'all privately, but a couple of us are planning to get togther, tell bullshit, and discuss some possible riding opportunities. 6PM Wednesday at Twisted Sisters in JAX Beach. Hope to see ya there!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Planning on making it.

Thanks
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
g27radio
We Todd Ed

Quote:
I emailed some of y'all privately, but a couple of us are planning to get togther, tell bullshit, and discuss some possible riding opportunities. 6PM Wednesday at Twisted Sisters in JAX Beach. Hope to see ya there!
That was a pretty decent turnout John. Sorry that the sisters assumed that I invited everyone . Then I tried to tell Sunny you invited everyone but you didn't let me get a word in edgewise . Anyway, good job getting everyone out. I think a good time was had by all.

A couple people asked about Ocala, so I wanted to let you guys know that I just finished the Ocala ride report, including a little video I threw together at the end: Ocala National Forest solo ride - ADVrider