Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
On the german motorcycle road to BMW Motorrad days.

Hi everybody.
It's been a while. Shit work schedules has been making it hard to fit longer vacations in to my son's school vacations. But finally I managed to set up a 14 day trip for us to Germany. With the BMW Motorrad days in Garmisch-Partenkirchen as the main goal we left a friday at 12.00 hours on my son's last school day. Took the ferry across to Rostock and started winding our way down south through the eastern part of Germany.

My plan was to try and follow die deutsche motorrad strasse - the german motorcycle road, down through the eastern part of the country. It's supposed to take you on excellent motorcycle roads through lovely landscape.

I've followed this motorcycle road in others parts of Germany and it's always been brilliant.

It also was here - to some extent. Not as good as I've tried before, but still good. Far better than highways.
Passing what looked to me as old dwelling houses from the east german times, made up with some paint.

Somewhere in the Mecklenburgische Schweiz we stopped in a nice little city,

and checked in at Gästehaus Meyer.

We got a nice bungalow in the back-garden and sat to chill a bit, while I was playing around with the remote for the camera.

My son Nikolai quickly got tired of that and demanded some food.
We walked down to the city center located at a lake. Got a good table in first row with views over the lake.

A dinner party enjoying themselves on this little barge.

After a nice stroll home, Nikolai turned on the tv in the bungalow.
They were showing Titanic with german voice-over. Bloody hell Titanic, not my typical type of movie, and then with german voice-over! But it actually turned out quite funny, to sit and hear Leonardo DiCaprio speak german ha ha. After a good first day we went to bed.
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Damn, pic no. 3 is from Harz later on don't know how that happened...
Next day we continued zig zagging south.

Crossing the Elbe river.

Continuing.

Stopping for lunch, we ordered curry wurst mit pommes.
All my son could say was, holy shit dad, that's a big sausage

The sky wasn't looking too good, but it stayed dry.

Through small lovely hamlets.

We hadn't seen any accomodation the last couple af hours, neither hotels or campsites, and it was getting late.
Suddently we stumbled across this hotel. They had a room for us, but the kitchen was closed that day. With nowhere to eat for miles around I respectfully said no to the room, as we needed something to eat as well.
Okay, one moment the landlady said. After 5 min. she came back and said her husband would open the kitchen for us on his day off, so we could get some food. Nice!

We ate our dinner accompanied by the german football team playing against somebody else on the tv - can't remember who.
This was to follow us on the rest of the trip, the german football team.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next morning we entered Thüringer Wald in nice weather, a hilly forest landscape that I'd been looking forward to ride through.

The roads and the landscape was superb, but the weather soon turned cloudy again.

A ziggy break, taking in the landscape.

Resting, eating some fruit.

In Nürnberg we checked in for 2 nights at Camping der Alte Mühle, the old mill.

We got a nice spot,

right next to the children's playground. Excellent.

The next day we had 2 things on the agenda. Buy new motorcycle clothes for Nikolai, and visit a funpark.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,805
Very nice country, looking forward to more. You're lucky to get to share these moto travels with your boy.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Very nice country, looking forward to more. You're lucky to get to share these moto travels with your boy.
Thanks Mugwest, yes Germany is a lovely destination.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not much of interest concerning motorcycles happened the next day.
We went to the Louis store in the morning and got Nikolai equipped with new gear. He was very happy and said to me: Dad now we really going out to ride a lot
Here he's posing in the new clothing.

After that we spent the rest of the day in the Playmobil funpark.
We got to do kids stuff once in a while as well. I wont bother you with all the pics from the park, just the been there done it pic

We then hit the road again riding south.

In the afternoon we reached the lake Ammersee just west of München.
The weather had been cloudy all day, and here the skies opened. Man did we get some rain! There was far between accomodation untill we reached the town Herrsching.
There was hotels but they were all fully booked. Nikolai started to freak out, can't blame him, it was a nightmare. In the slow city traffic, I couldn't ride with the visor down as visibility was zero. Visor up was slightly better, but I still got a lot of rain in my eyes constantly. Not good. Finally we found a hotel at the shore of the lake. Very expensive, but I was in no position to bargain or turn it down.
This pic is taken the next morning with a nice blue skye.

It was italian owned and had a pretty cool reception.

About an hour after we checked in the rain stopped and the skye cleared up a bit
So much for paying 120 euroes to get out of the rain...
We went to the restaurant with views over the lake and enjoyed a nice italian dinner, before going to bed.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This day, thursday was where we would reach the BMW Motorrad days.
In pleasant weather we continued south along the shores of the Ammersee.

Reaching the foot of the Alps, the roads turned really funny.

At lake Kochelsee, stopped for a ziggy enjoying the landscape.

And then the last 30 km's,

before we reached Garmish-Partenkirchen.

We got directions to the camping area,

and got our camp set up.

The surroundings at the campsite,

and my evening view sipping some whiskey before bedtime.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #8
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 853
Beautiful scenery and what a great trip with your son! Best part is his looking forward to more motorcycling with you.

Safe travels and Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
hey panzer rocket, always nice to see one of your RR! You tent is so big, and I love that you have the small table and a proper chair in which to relax with a dram of whisky after a long day riding! And yet, the baggage on the bike does not look overloaded! Remarkable! I had never heard of the motorrad before - it is a very cool concept! Thanks, as always, for letting us catch a ride with you!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Svalin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great pictures, can't wait to see more of that. Never made it to the BMW Days in Garmisch-Patenkirchen- I'm quite sure they won't let me in on my bike

Wish both of you fun and enjoy the days to come!

What are the plans for the route home?
Svalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Beautiful scenery and what a great trip with your son! Best part is his looking forward to more motorcycling with you.

Safe travels and Cheers
Hi bobw.
Thanks mate, yes it was really nice to hear the kid looking forward to lot's of riding
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
hey panzer rocket, always nice to see one of your RR! You tent is so big, and I love that you have the small table and a proper chair in which to relax with a dram of whisky after a long day riding! And yet, the baggage on the bike does not look overloaded! Remarkable! I had never heard of the motorrad before - it is a very cool concept! Thanks, as always, for letting us catch a ride with you!
Hey Blader54, thanks for your kind words.
Yep, considering the set up I have camping, it doesn't take up that much space when riding, nice. I prefer the camping anytime, but also want some of comfort.
The motorrad days is very cool indeed
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svalin View Post
Great pictures, can't wait to see more of that. Never made it to the BMW Days in Garmisch-Patenkirchen- I'm quite sure they won't let me in on my bike

Wish both of you fun and enjoy the days to come!

What are the plans for the route home?
Thanks Svalin, more to come now.
There was a lot of other bikes there, not just BMW, all though BMW was the majority of course.
I'm back home now, so you'll see our route home the following days.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next day, friday, the meeting officially started, so we headed out to have a look around.

There was quite a few nice bikes on display as well.

The BMW factory is trying out a new concept, interactive 3D riding. As I understood it, it was for beginners to try it out before they actually hit the real road. Nikolai was all fired up and wanted to try it.
The factory guys weren't too happy to start with, but by telling them that my son was an experienced pillion rider with over 50,000 km on his back, they let him have a go.
That was brilliant, simply brilliant! Nikolai had a blast sitting there making wroom wroom sounds, the engine sound he heard via the headphones.

We could see what he saw, on a pc next to the bike. He was really good!

He was actually so good that the factory guys really got impressed. They filmed him for about 3-4 min. and took several photo's of him. Afterwads they asked me permission to use the footage and pics for commercials films and further studies. Of course - I was just fucking proud
I had to sign several documents giving the BMW factory permission to use it.

We ended the day by going to watch the Moto Drome show.

They were a bunch of pretty cool guys, getting ready to ride the drome.

Here we go...

It turned out, that the main star of the show, the blond haired guy on the left with glasses, he was danish.

So of course Nikolai should have a chat with him

After a long day there, we made dinner back home at the tent.
Afterwards we went back again, as there was a lot of live music playing during the night.
It wasn't quite the succes I'd hoped for though. I thought the music was all right but to Nikolai it wasn't real rock. No Iron Maiden, Queen or Balck Sabbath... So after listening to him complaining for about an hour we went back home to sleep.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next day there was a big parade ride around town. We didn't participate, but went over to look at the start. Nikolai is, like most other boys I guess, facinated by the police, and especially them on bikes.
So we walked around for an hour or so and chatted to the guys. They were very friendly, and you could feel that they had a good time being there as well.

This guy with the white baret was cool.

And Nikolai got another couple of pics to the collection. His goal is to try and sit on police bikes in all the countries we visit.

Then the parade started.

My camera fucked up (or perhaps me...) so most of the pics were bad...
Did manage to get a good shot of this gentleman.

A couple of guys long way from home.

Before we left home I'd been in contact with a german motorcycle friend of mine, Frank. We'd agreed to meet at the biker meeting. So after the parade it was on the phone and find out where to meet him.
Frank and Nikolai. They'd never met before.

We had a beer and chatted for a while, before Frank had to leave. Nice to meet you again Frank.
Here he's leaving.

Last thing on the agenda for me this day, was to look at some new biking gear. I've been riding with Rukka jacket and pants the last 4 years, and I've never been so disappointed before. Maybe my Rukka was a monday model, I don't know, but paying the price Rukka demands, I'd expected a lot more quality and service. The zipper in the jacket broke a month after I bought it. Handed in the jacket for repair that lasted 3 weeks! After a year the red colour on the jacket started to fade drasticly. Zippers broke in jacket pockets and in pant pockets over the next 2 years... And I'd paid a fortune for it!
Before the Rukka I rode with a BMW set that I had got for a bargain price when I bought my previous BMW. I was very pleased with it, so this time I thought about trying out a BMW set again. On the internet I'd been looking at the Tourshell model. Very good reviews everywhere.
And yes, I ended up bying it. So now both of us were equipped with new clothing.

This was our last night here, so we walked into town center and sat down at a very nice greek restaurant,

where we had some excellent sea food.

We had some friendly german neighbors at the campsite, and coming home we sat down with them for a couple of hours chatting.
Next morning we would be on the road again.