User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,460
vintage

Vintage bikes or riders? I am and ride them too.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
lasvegasrider
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,091
Laugh Yummy!

Kool idea for putting old rice steamers back to work.. Screw the newer iron!

Hell, you got my juices flowing.. I'll just fix up the Bultaco Pursang 250 to match the one I had in 1976, dig up my decaying time capsule riding gear and ride off into a mutli-state mudbog !

EXCELLENT start guys

I'm looking forward to more of this "How To" guide for the practical application of retired iron.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #18
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Day 1 - The Vintage Ride

The day started with much excitement. The ride ahead, the old bikes under the back side, the not knowing the abilities of any of the riders, and most of all what the hell are we trying to do on 30 plus year old machines.

Kickstands up at 8:00 am on Saturday morning as planned. Everyone one loaded and ready.

Off we go to intercept the TAT near Pryor, Ok. Bikes start up, kisses by to the wife and kids, and off we go.

9 miles into the ride Motoguy pulls off with no power. Short interuption of progress while we wait at the next turn for the report. Makotosun calls on the radio that they are loading the RT3 360 on the chase truck and Motoguy will ride the truck to Blackwell, Ok our destination of the day. Mako makes his way on up to catch the group and off we go.

Here I sit, 9 miles into the ride and we already down by one bike. The chase truck was brought along just for this so plan is go. All is good!

Jgres pulls up along side to let me know this is going to be a cool thing to do and to say hello.

The ride progresses with all remaining bikes ticking along and supporting the need for smog regualtions as we destroyed all the insect life within a quarter mile of the group. Dust is normally a good source of location, in our case just look for the Yahamalube puking out the pipes of past.

Then we find the water crossing I have been waiting for. I saw it was deep and all the others needed to lead so I felt this may be a great photo op.

I watched as Dman and Jgres worked out the path of progress which lead to Jgress passing with class and Dman bouncing off both sides of the road ditch, climbing a tree and finally stopping with a few great words of wisdom. I missed my photo as I fell off the bike laughing but he did make it.

Mako and Dman working on across the crossing. Dman is nose first in the water but working it out. Great show for sure to watch.

After we all made it across we progressed onward to the Tall Grass Prairie and a rest stop from the water hell hole.

Mako thinking what the hell did I get into?

More of day 1 later
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #19
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Salida, CO

Made Salida, Co last night, DT400C and the RT1 360 Still chugging away, as Jgres said at every stop "we working the piss out of these things".

Driving thru Salida I saw a bike parked in town I had seen so many times here on the site, whipped over. YEP, Hayduke is near there is the bike, so I prowled around and found him. Quick conversation, hand shake, picture (to be posted when I get the report going) and we had to continue. Thenks for the few minutes and I wll be back an ride for sure.

Heading to Lake City today, got the Contential Divide to cross. North TAT route is snowed in. Marshall Pass is open but Hayduke advised that road was washed out on the West Slope and impassible. Plan is to attempt Marshall and if we can not make it come back and go over Monarch as a last resort.

Need some luck today. Later
Old 05-31-2007, 06:55 AM   #20
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,697
Good Luck!

Thanks for stopping by and showing me those sweet vintage bikes- You guys have them set up nicely for such an epic trip. And damn, they're loud!

It was nice to meet you guys- next time you're in the area, lets RIDE!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #21
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Very cool
Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
Decoy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Having the correct tools for the JOB!!!

Gentlemen, I need an address to overnight the correct tool for your next mud crossing!!!
81 Husky 430 xc
Decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #23
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173

alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
Indian-woodsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoy
Gentlemen, I need an address to overnight the correct tool for your next mud crossing!!!
Man, those rock! what website are they on?
Indian-woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #25
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Way to go guys - now this is my kind of adventure ride report - nothing more fun than taking old iron out for a "little" ride, huh? Until last year, I regularly took my old DT250 out for 100 mile dirt rides, solo without any cell phone service. Always a good time when you have nothing but your wits to help you.

Looking forward to following your adventure.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #26
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
This thread is and will continue to own!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #27
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

Wish we could have met up when you came through Salida. Now I know why I didn't hear from you.

I just rode through north-eastern Colorado, and Western Nebraska on dirt to the Black Hills- lots of mud out there too. It's been a wet year for the plains.
I saw your report from Conejos River, I need to get to Colorado, I head up to Alberta every summer and hit the trails its very similar. I might alter my route this year and drop you a line!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #28
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

update

The DT400C and the RT1 are in Lake City and headed to the final destination of Monticello, UT. Mission is nearly complete, to ride Ok, Nm, and Co on the old beasts of the past.

Notice: Any one riding the CO TAT be prepared for some issues, Roads washed out on West side of Marshall Pass, the North route is still snowed in. Took some work but made it around the washout. Several of the National Forest roads are closed, again took some work but all was good.

Will lay it out later, got to focus on getting the Mountain Bike thru its last leg tomorrow. Damn, I wish it wasnt over yet.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #29
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Go Vance! You make me wish I still had my '68 DT1.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #30
RedKLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I've been inspired.

Thanks to your post, I'm gonna go to work on mine for next year's journeys. Thanks! I look forward to more photos!!!

1975 DT400B

2005 Kawasaki KLR650
1997 BMW F650
1988 Honda NX250
1985 Honda CB700sc Nighthawk
1975 Yamaha DT400
RedKLR is offline   Reply With Quote