Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #61
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Your guys are killing me----this is great stuff, and I am really enjoying it. Brings back such fond memories of days gone by where you rode awhile---and then worked on them awhile---just the way it was.

Me and Gaspipe are always dreamin'--------we are always talking about how we wish we could go back in time and ride all over circa 1953----when there was no land closures--you could just about ride anywhere---no global warming---hardly any private stuff you couldn't ride on---no greenies.

But we also had another dream----to ride back then on a 2008 model

You guys are my heroes !!!
You and Gaspipe, are the heros, got the fire built in me again and had a big part of this dream coming true. Thanks for your reports, rides and support.
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #62
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Vance,

Quote:

This is the exact location where BigDog invented the "Turd Seat", as featured in the report and on his webpage. We stopped there as its one of the first sandy spots, and well, knowing BigDog and I - we got carried away with ourselves.

Great to see those two smokers eating up the miles

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #63
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
More misc thoughts

Third day:

Fourtunatly it was Memorial day and most of the truckers had the day only passed one directly coming at us at 65 or so. got totaly peppered with rocks and sand as he passed. OUCH

also to make that 300 miles we had to do 55-60 all day on the dirt and only slowed enough to check for vehichles at the cross roads which are at about every mile or so. MY biggest memorys are just HAULIN for MILES of open range.

Vance, wasent that the day you almost endo'ed at that surprize culvert? blew out the front shock oil seals and bent the rim. we thought you were toast.

was great to put on some miles and get the Mile-O-Mud behind us.
D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #64
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

The endo

Yes, it was the day where I about inverted the bike. There is a draw with a concrete bottom. I pounded the bottom about 60 mph and that was exactally where both fork seals blew and bent the front rim. Can not believe I forgot that, as had to stop and clean up a bit.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #65
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Great report guys. Love the old vintage stuff and makes me lonesome for my '72 DT2 and 76 500XT.
The yama with the mudded close front fender reminds me of one revolution for every 3 it was suppose to turn. Ha ha ha. Been there and done that. ;-).

I'll agree with Big Dog Mark. Bring me back to the 50's and 60's and harldy any posted land on a today's bike. Yeah! God that was so fun.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #66
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,174
All I've had is japanese bikes (15 or 16 in all, mostly second hand 70's bikes ) and never really had much in the way of problems.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #67
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update

Just finished my ride and got home, will try to get the report back on track and updated this weekend.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #68
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4 - Boise City, Ok to LaVeta, Co

Day 4 was exciting for us as we expected to finally make the Rocky Mountains and get away from the flat lands of Oklahoma and the damn mud.

We did take a little scenic route thru Black Mesa and Kenton, Ok just to seen some of the historic items in Western Oklahoma.

Stop for photo's at the Santa Fe Trail Crossing.

The Vintage Gang.

Then we headed to Black Mesa State Park.

Dman and Nick checking out the Petrified Wood.

Then off to Black Mesa but the road was being protected by the Diamond Back.

Then to Kenton, OK for fuel and lunch. Be advised that the general store does have gas, food and cabins, but is closed on Tuesdays. The manager did offer to open up for fuel but we allowed we would utilize the fuel on the chase truck.

Nice lunch and all, some good conversation and some planning we chose to send the Chase Truck and Nick onto LaVeta, Co to find rooms and we would chance it making it on fuel and all.

To date the chase truck had only been there to meet at fuel points and in the evenings at the motels. Never did the truck follow on the trail after we got moving for the day.

The ride thru Oklahoma was taxing. The bikes ran wide open for miles and miles. Even with the loss of the others I thinks we have a chance to make the final goal of Monticello, Ut and the origonal goal of Salida, Co is only a day away.

Also, Check out the B&B's in the Kenton, Ok area. Might be a great alternative to the motels in Boise City, Ok.

More of Day 4 Later
Old 06-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #69
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Vance,

This is the exact location where BigDog invented the "Turd Seat", as featured in the report and on his webpage. We stopped there as its one of the first sandy spots, and well, knowing BigDog and I - we got carried away with ourselves.

Great to see those two smokers eating up the miles
At least with the Oklahoma Turd Seat you can cook with it at night and keep warm. Smells a little but makes for a good fire when no wood is around.

As far as getting carried away . Never, that is what makes your all's next report worth waiting for.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #70
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4 - Continued

Left Kenton, Oklahoma and headed West. Quick stop to take a picture at the New Mexico State Line.

This was one of the sections I had been waiting for. I have ridden many places in New Mexico and always found it to be a really great place to ride.

Stop at the Branson, Colorado Jail.

and the inmates

Off to Trinidad, Co for fuel. No support on this leg, we sent the truck to La Veta to find a place to spend the night.

Another stop for the YahamaHog. That RT1 used more gas than the chase truck. Also, at this fuel stop I was jacking Joe about the YahamaHog and looked to see I had no oil in my Oil Tank. Damn, we have no oil with us, and still 30 miles to Trinidad. Dman, comes to the rescue with a pint of tranny oil from the Honda and I put it in my injector oil tank. Smoked like hell, smelled worse, but got me to town. Good thinking Dman, saved my day for sure.

Some of the great riding into Colorado.

After a great day of riding, no real hurdles other than a little injector oil miscalculation, we make it La Veta, Colorado. Great little town with some interesting stores, bars, resturants, and people.

His mom said "I am sure he hasn't seen anything like you before".

Final resting place of the night. Worked out great, check oil, lubed chains, checked the lube oil and down for the night.

Day 4 was pretty much just a great day. No bike problems, no weather issues, no rider issues, and no fuel issues. What a day to enjoy the TAT.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #71
Jerry Bo
KTMRIDER

Oddometer: 156
I have been keeping up with your ride and have enjoyed your reports. I plan on riding the tat next summer. Looking forward to the rest of the report.
XR650L

"I just wanna be free to ride my machine"
Jerry Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #72
Jamby
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Vance is Hard Core!

Dude, you guys are the bomb!!! I'm thrilled that you guys took on the TAT old school style and had a great time doing it!
All the best,
Jamby
Jamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #73
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bo
I have been keeping up with your ride and have enjoyed your reports. I plan on riding the tat next summer. Looking forward to the rest of the report.
I can tell you it has been a great ride for me. I rode my Honda XR650L in Arkansas a couple of months ago, but plan on riding it again on the DT400C Mountain Bike.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #74
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamby
Dude, you guys are the bomb!!! I'm thrilled that you guys took on the TAT old school style and had a great time doing it!
All the best,
Jamby
Thanks Mate, can not wait to see the movie when you get it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #75
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
4th day was really a great relief and change from the miles of flat, straight roads of western OK, we blew over a few 10k passes and the bikes were feeling the altitude especially the piston port 360, had to flog that puppy big time and it was only a shadow to what was coming the next couple of days. couple of times the Yamahogs were running on reserve when we got to the next gas. the thought of running out in the middle of now where was with us most of the time. only comfort was the Honda had a big enough tank and better fuel mileage so if we had to could have gone for a tanker run. but thanks to a very accurate GPS and skilled operator (Vinnie) we made every stop no problem. would not even want to attempt this trip without a GPS. I of course can be done but you will be stopping ALL the time to figure out were you are and where to turn next.
D-man is offline   Reply With Quote