User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,826
Another sunny day in FLA

The Sand Fleas strike again, in reduced numbers, but with a vengenance. Today's roster: Phillip D. Kuntz, Motocyco and yours truly, Scribe. (All photos by Kuntz.)

We gathered in the usual place (Big Scrub campground) at the usual time (10 a.m.). After being harassed by the feds for stopping three feet off the numbered road for a few minutes to examine Motocyco's new ride (DR650, looks new, sweet bike), we blasted north on 88 toward some of the best trails in the ONF, in my opinion. Wasn't long before we came across this strange scene. It appears some kind of alien life form was crawling across the road when a mad dirt biker squished it under their knobbies, squirting bright green blood all over the road. It probably came in peace, we'll never know.

OK, the real story is that is my MSF fender pack and the remains of a big bottle of Slime. I can say with 100 percent confidence that I DO NOT recommend the MSF fender pack. Fell off twice in the space of a mile. Piece of shit. It deserved to die.

Motocyco works for the state forestry division and has spent the last several weeks putting out forest fires for like 16 hours a day. He really is a good steward of the land. Here he is making sure the trails stay nice and clean for dirt bikers.

The next series is just us riding and enjoying the day. I can't remember the sequence as I didn't shoot 'em. For those of you who know how shitty and whooped out the trails in the ONF can be, these are proof that it doesn't all suck.

We rode north to Jack Daniel's place on the shores of beautiful Lake Kerr. There we found a Memorial Day party in full swing, complete with cold beer and fast jet skis. After three sweaty hours on the trail a swim in the lake felt like heaven. Flyin' Brian left his XR 500 at home, and brought his 1200 cc, turbocharged Honda personal watercraft (is that what they call 'em?) instead. That thing is flat amazing. You can't hear or feel it running it is so smooth and quiet. But nail the throttle and it will stretch your arms. I hit 60 mph on some flat water. Incredible machine.

Brian on the Honda trying to impress the ladies, me in the background riding his Polaris, a 750cc machine that was also fast, but not nearly as smooth.

On the way back south (I think) we rode right by some dude who was camping deep in the woods. Probably thought he'd found the one place he could get a little peace and quiet, then three loud dirt bikers from hell come tearing up his camp site. I know he was thinking "Deliverance." We also
found this place deep in the woods and dubbed it camp ADV. Kuntz says he's moving in when the wife kicks him out of his house.

I was very happy to find a toilet at camp ADV. Guess I was too heavy for it. My apologies to the resident.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
ChrisE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Excellent!
'05 BMW R1200RT
'98 Yamaha R1
'93 Bimota DB2
'76 Honda CB400F
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
looks like a good time. i'llbe up in orlando next week for training update class. i'm going to try and bring my bike if the rental i get will fit it. how far from Universal is that place? my hotel will be off mccoy and 528.

anyways looks like you guys had fun. i'm jealous, i've been sick all weekend and haven't rode 1 foot
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Sunny days are great riding days, even in FL
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,778
Nice job so far, are you planning to finish this? Where are the rest of the pics?
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz
Nice job so far, are you planning to finish this? Where are the rest of the pics?
What, you got something else to say?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Yeah, it looks like you left out some good pics.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Scribe OP
£Bob£

More pics

OK Kuntz, here's some more. Just because I'm at work today and don't want to be.

As usual I managed to wipe out a couple times. This particularly biff came as I was sliciing through a series of sandy berms, way, way, way ahead of Kuntz. I looked back over my shoulder to see just how much dust he was eating and fell. Moral of the story: just keep blasting

I think this next one is of Motocyco coming off the last trail of the day, which was a good mile and a half of nothing but deep, sandy whoops. We were all tired and beat, and that one frankly sucked. We picked up a graded road right after.

Another shot of Motocyco. I think this was taken right after he bashed his foot on a log at speed and ripped a hole in his boot. He was wearing some kind of heavy duty hiking boots; we tried to convice him to upgrade to MX style footwear.

What a great day. I'm done. Over to you, Kuntz.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
flan8tive
Flea Tibet!

Oddometer: 2,188
Any chance Camp ADV is a recently dissolved meth lab? The tarp makes me wonder...

80 Z50R

flan8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
sinner
Flea or not to Flea?

Oddometer: 484
Laugh

Great pics Guys, sorry i could not make it, i got home early on sunday so a went for a ride up at the power lines! Thought i better get some sand riding under my belt, so i'm riding along thinking 'well i'm not doing to bad' When 3 bikes ride pass me doing about 30. this was about 4.30/5pm lefted me in there dust. well that made me pick the pace up ( a bit ) , i did about 30 miles all in.
The thing i hate, is the lower part of my right arm really hurts after about 5mins, and i have to keep stopping? ( in the wops ) is this the same for any one else? or do i need to get fit!!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Good job Scribe, I knew you could write better than me.

There was an old bald guy looking quite surprised inside that tent we passed.

I dont doubt that somebody was out there cooking up meth at that strange looking old campsite. They were messy campers for sure, left all kinds of garbage behind. We are doing so much exploring out there its only a matter of time before we run across an active meth lab. If we do, I dont plan on sticking around, ride like hell.

Sinner, 30 miles is a good bit of riding when you are first starting out on sand. We usually do about 40-70 miles of sandy trails in a day. You are probably holding on too tight with your hands. I still catch myself gripping too tightly sometimes. I like to get information from books, recently I picked up this one and highly recommend it to all of you guys. Its the one on top.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Philip Kuntz screwed with this post 05-28-2007 at 11:22 PM
Old 05-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Barkmagnet
Kuntz Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Nice pics PK and nice story Scribe. Lets pray for rain as it still looks way too dry. Is Brian as sic on a watercraft as he is on a bike ? I didn't do any riding this weekend except taking the Kuntz' Kruiser to Lowes. Maybe next weekend we can hook up. Looks like you guys found some more pristine trail.
Ahhh, what's the difference?
As long as we make it acrossed the river.
Barkmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Whats happnin BM. I took the Bark-rocket for a spin today too. Its fun blasting around cars over the double yellow lines. I hope that sprocket arrives soon, I want to do some wheelies with it. Today I went out in flip-flops, tank top, and shorts just so I could look as cool as the other sportbike riders. Everyone waved because they know I is da chit, yo!

Motocyco handled that DR 6fiddy well yesterday, we should have taken pics of his bald trail wing on the back. He kept up pretty darn well too.

The correct technique is to turn around and find another trail when you start hitting whoops. Lets try that from now on.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
Scribe OP
£Bob£

Quote:
Originally Posted by flan8tive
Any chance Camp ADV is a recently dissolved meth lab? The tarp makes me wonder...

If so it makes me think a lot less of the life of a meth cooker. I thought they were all driving Escalades with spinners on 'em to and from their trailers.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
Barkmagnet
Kuntz Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Sprockets are ordered, two rear, one front. hunid dollas at Bike Bandit. Vortex wanted 65.00 for a replacement POS. Sorry Vortex.

Hijack off.
Ahhh, what's the difference?
As long as we make it acrossed the river.
Barkmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote