ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #31
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb
 
bouldergeek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Palmer Station, Antarctica
Oddometer: 1,074
Just bumping to say I am so ready to get to Christchurch and off of this ice sheet!

Are there any non-premium moto hire outfits on the South Island? If I thought I could get a reasonable rate, I'd ship my gear down from the US. The $200NZ per day for Beemers is a bit rich for my blood, though I lust for an R1100S in such an environment.
__________________
Partir loin et découvrir quel air l'humanité respire... voyager... aller toujours plus loin... - Les Nubiennes, "Voyager"
-----------------------------------------------------------

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #32
Lexington
deliciously wicked
 
Lexington's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 11,499
Holy smokes! Your pictures are amazing. I need to visit.
__________________
Self-Rescuing Princess

Some women aren't meant to be tamed...they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #33
Shaggie OP
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington
Holy smokes! Your pictures are amazing. I need to visit.


THANKS LEX!

U SHOULD!
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #34
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon
 
Nick Makwell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 672
Shaggie, you are doing a disservice to those of us who have visited NZ - I spent 2 weeks with my wife (whose Dad is a Kiwi and had been a few times) on the South Island.

Observations:

I'm retiring in the Marlborough Sounds. Best motorbike roads ever. Best wines ever. Best scenery ever. Best people too - what a lifestyle!

We had turns trying to make each other sick going around all the curves on Queen Charlotte Road Pass (sp?) and all the other roads exploring the fjords in our little hire car....

Beautiful pictures mate - I never took the piss of any NZ after going to that island (including a magical four days on Stewart Island)

I cannot wait to go back on two wheels one day, and retire maybe the day after.

Magic, magic place.
__________________
_________________
1981 BMW R65 - "Seven"

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #35
Moto Grapher
IBlink,IClick.ISit,IRide
 
Moto Grapher's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Saddle of a Bike or a CMOS sensor.
Oddometer: 241
Great great stuff here. Beautiful photos. I am in love with this country, had toured NZ early this year and can't get it out of my head. May god and man preserve this motorcycling jewel forever.
__________________
www.motoGrapher.in
Moto Grapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #36
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: dunedin new zealand
Oddometer: 301
hey shaggie great pics
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #37
Shaggie OP
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Makwell
Shaggie, you are doing a disservice to those of us who have visited NZ - I spent 2 weeks with my wife (whose Dad is a Kiwi and had been a few times) on the South Island.

Observations:

I'm retiring in the Marlborough Sounds. Best motorbike roads ever. Best wines ever. Best scenery ever. Best people too - what a lifestyle!

We had turns trying to make each other sick going around all the curves on Queen Charlotte Road Pass (sp?) and all the other roads exploring the fjords in our little hire car....

Beautiful pictures mate - I never took the piss of any NZ after going to that island (including a magical four days on Stewart Island)

I cannot wait to go back on two wheels one day, and retire maybe the day after.

Magic, magic place.
Nick

As i said in my report, I spent most weekends during my childhood 'down the 'Sounds' with psuedo aunty and uncle so I'm with you re the Sounds! Altho the Abel Tasman area is equally as spectacular.

You're welcome to stay with us anytime.

Cheers

Shane
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #38
Shaggie OP
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianBoy
Great great stuff here. Beautiful photos. I am in love with this country, had toured NZ early this year and can't get it out of my head. May god and man preserve this motorcycling jewel forever.
Yo Indian Boy

did you tour with a company or by yourself?

and you never called!

You come back and see us y'hear!

Shane
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #39
Shaggie OP
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob
hey shaggie great pics
Cheers dbs!

S
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #40
Moto Grapher
IBlink,IClick.ISit,IRide
 
Moto Grapher's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Saddle of a Bike or a CMOS sensor.
Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie
Yo Indian Boy

did you tour with a company or by yourself?

and you never called!

You come back and see us y'hear!

Shane
Hey there and Kia Ora Shane,

Did a 8500km did a solo tour around NZ for Kawasaki NZ and Bike Rider Magazine as a freelancing travel/photo journalist this year. Was riding a Kawasaki Concours 14 and a Ninja ZX6R later on.

I will be putting up a detailed log with pictures sometime soon here on ADV, thats the least I can probably do to thank the youngest country on Earth!
__________________
www.motoGrapher.in
Moto Grapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #41
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth
 
SpitfireTriple's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Bristol, Britain
Oddometer: 876
New Zealand always looks so good for motorcycling.
Thanks for these images Shane.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #42
Shaggie OP
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
New Zealand always looks so good for motorcycling.
Thanks for these images Shane.
Andrew

No worries mate!

Thanks for reading!

Shane
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #43
Kbike
Mountain Adventurer
 
Kbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder/Tucson
Oddometer: 236
Shane,
We must have stopped at the same places for pictures as most of mine look just like yours. What a great place for motorcycling! In 2003 we did a Beach tour through Te Waipounamu, maybe you were there, and really enjoyed the country. Someday we would like to return for a longer stay.
The only downer was the day after we left, one of our tour members was killed in a head on.

Some of my pictures are here;
http://kbike.smugmug.com/gallery/366...14579382_i6kBv
__________________
http://kbike.smugmug.com
KTM525EXC, KTM990, WR450F, WR250X
Kbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #44
Shaggie OP
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbike
Shane,
We must have stopped at the same places for pictures as most of mine look just like yours. What a great place for motorcycling! In 2003 we did a Beach tour through Te Waipounamu, maybe you were there, and really enjoyed the country. Someday we would like to return for a longer stay.
The only downer was the day after we left, one of our tour members was killed in a head on.

Some of my pictures are here;
http://kbike.smugmug.com/gallery/366...14579382_i6kBv

Kbike

Very sorry to hear about your tour member, that's indeed very sad.

love your pics!

You're welcome to come and stay with us when you return!

Cheers and best wishes

Shane
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #45
dpouwel
Petualang
 
dpouwel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Jogjakarta, Indonesia
Oddometer: 617
Cool!!!, seems NZ is perfect for honeymoon
__________________

Contact:

- www.innocentrider.wordpress.com
- dpouwel@gmail.com


dpouwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014