User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
TNC OP
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,443
Road helmet visor?

For the last couple of years, I've been using a full coverage road helmet for my KLR off road trips. Even trying different goggles with my dirt helmet, on the faster dirt road and pavement sections, my eyes dry up too easily. I was actually surprised how well the road helmet worked. Leave it down for speed, and crack it open in slower sections. I wear glasses, so I either have shades or clear glasses on depending on conditions. Only one problem frequently...sun.

I looked around for visors for full coverage road helmets, and only found one super dorky looking setup...Super-Visor, I believe. That cool looking but very functional Arai helmet seems like a good alternative except for that hideous price. So I started looking at my mountainbike helmets and their visors. Initially I thought they looked too small, but I realized that if they're placed properly, it might work. I had a cracked face shield for my helmet, so there was nothing to lose. Just using a drill and some handy hardware screws and nuts, I mocked up this visor. I went for a few rides and was shocked to find that the thing worked darned well. The visor has noticeable vents at the top, so air doesn't pack up there and pull at your head...most all MTB visors have similar vents. This was a quick and dirty experiment, and so far it seems like a keeper. In the pic the eye port looks restricted, but honestly vision is still very good. Even looking up at a stop light and such is no problem. However, sun angle protection is surprisingly good...and of course the face shield and visor still tilt up like they were intended. Perhaps some helmets have their face shields so close to the helmet shell that this attachment method may not work. I just used some very low profile head machine screws.

I'm fairly new on this forum, and I was wondering if any others have tried some succssful home remedies or found a good product on the market. I had considered the "black tape across the upper portion of the face shield" method, but my experiments on my helmet didn't provide enough coverage for my taste without really closing down the eye port. I was a little surprised how effective just a slight extension over the eye port turns out to be. If this continues to hold up under some continued use, I'll get some more refined hardware and modify my "good" face shield.

TNC screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 08:43 AM
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
welcome to the asylum

good on ya fer building what you want

I've used the Supervisor for several years now and I absolutely lucking fove it

"dorky" you say??

"functional" I reply

besides do you really gives a flip what you look like?

oh, unless you gotta have color coodinated boots, gloves, helmet, jacket, pants and bike
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
TNC OP
Candyass Camper

On that Super-Visor.

XT, I gotta admit that the website really only had one angle that I saw, and frankly it didn't do much for how the visor looked. I would have liked to have seen another angle or two. Do you know of a better link, or do you have any pics?

LOL!...no, I'm not that rigid about being "style conscious"...I mean, heck...I turned a perfectly good '01 GI-Joe KLR color scheme into a Malibu Barbie version...so apparently I'm perfectly secure with dorkiness. From the one decent pic of that visor that I saw, it just looked huge and flat...and like I say, it just could have been the angle. I will confess to a small bit of vanity and discrimination as it pertains to the look of a motorcycle helmet. There's just something about the looks of motorcycle helmet on one's head and a bike's gas tank...even big, honking, IMS 6-gallon tanks.

If you have a decent pic of your helmet and visor, I'd appreciate a look.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I like it
Do the upper parts tend to resonate in the wind or are they rigid enough to stay put? (just worried about the peak vibrating against the top of the helmet, leaving scratch marks)
I use a road helmet for most of my riding, and use a tinted visor with a carefully spraypainted black strip across the top inner side. it works ok, but a peak like yours would be better, particularly when riding into the setting sun with a dusty visor.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 524
TNC, you have inspired me. I was riding into the sunset tonight, sunglasses too dark to use, the sun in my eyes. I found that if I pushed my helmet low enough on my forehead it blocked the sun enough to ride home. I was thinking about the Aria HD and it's heavy duty price tag. Got to be a better way, I thought. After I saw your post I knew what I had to do. I don't ride my mountain bike much anyway. The hinges are broken on my visor and helmet, and have bolts through the visor into the helmet to hold it on, so what if I screw it up? Well here's mine, I'll test it tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
TNC OP
Candyass Camper

Hey, that looks good.

Well Inky, I guess sick minds can think alike...LOL! I hope yours works too. If I'm seeing right, you only have one attachment on each side of the visor. Without 2 on each side for stability, mine would get pushed up by wind. With 2 attachments...rigid. Let us know how yours works out. There are so many of these styles of MTB helmet visors, that I would think just about anyone could find something that would fit.

Hey xtphreak, I had another question on that Super-Visor. The attachment method appeared to be an adhesive setup. Is that right? It seems like that would come off after a bit. The way we turn our heads frequently to look over a shoulder and such, it seems like the wind would require it to be bolted, screwed, or snapped on. Any issues on that?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,120
I, too love my Super Visor. It is kind of flat and clunky looking, but it works. Yours looks just fine and you re-used something you already had and saved yourself the price of a case or two of beer.

I've had the Super Visor for a couple of years and have noticed no weakening of the adhesive holding it on the face shield. It's pretty strong glue.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
FoolHardy
Still Inky

It is also attached in the center. It is just barely visible in the pic.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,191
Hey TNC - Visor looks great

I did a similar setup with an older helmet and a Vega visor...
Cobbled it together quickly one morning and it has been great. Just the right length and not long enough to catch the wind. I attached mine to the face frame which flips open and also where the visor sits it allows the shield to open a bit.

Thread... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229144
LoneStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Road tested it. Works great . I think it actually made the helmet quieter, the visor kind of whistled before so I had glued a foam seal around the rubber seal to try to seal it better. Noise gone. Doesn't catch air unless I ride with visor up at 50+. I'm totally happy.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
TNC OP
Candyass Camper

More refined attachment.

OK, I went to the hardware store and poked around in the specialty items. I found some really nice aluminum nut and screw setups...damn, I can't remember the technical name for this item...that come as a 2-piece unit. The inner "nut" portion of the setup has a super low profile, so it can be fitted quite close to the helmet where the shield flips up over the helmet when you open it. This looks way more sano than my original nut and bolt setup. There's a small star washer under the aluminum screw to prevent backing out.

After putting some more time on this setup, I've noticed another unforeseen benefit. The visor must have an optimum angle or something on my KBC helmet that minimizes bug strikes on my face shield. I live about 10 miles outside of a city, and this time of the year I get smacked by a bunch of bugs by the time I get into town. I'm seeing at least about a fourth of the bug strikes I used to see. I didn't reallly expect this, and it's a pleasant surprise. Man, I love this stupidly simple addition to my helmet. It pretty much addresses the only beef I had with using this helmet for dual sport duty.

TNC screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 08:43 AM
Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,191
Excellente'

I think those are called "screwpost binders" and are often used for holding paper samples etc together.

Nice rig - so yours is bolted to the face shield directly where it can raise and lower - does the wind try to pull the shield open at speed if the shield is raised?
LoneStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
TNC OP
Candyass Camper

Vented

Kinda hard to tell from the first pic because of all the black, but at the top of the visor there are noticeable vents that allow air to pass. You can turn completely around and tilt your head to "try" and catch as much wind as possible, and it won't produce any unpleasant pull or such. While experimenting doing this to check for wind drag, a car passed me in the next lane and probably thought I was having a seizure. Oh, yes...the shield still flips up with no issues or contact. The really flat "nut" head portion allowed this perfectly. And yes, as I recall, "post binder" was the term at the hardware store for these bits.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #14
dmack
96 R1100gs

Oddometer: 171
Riding with shield up?

Are you able to ride with the face shield raised, or does it cause a lot of buffeting or vibration?

Thanks,
Dave
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
TNC OP
Candyass Camper

dmack, to tell the truth, I haven't gone at highway speed with it opened up with the visor. I have to have the shield flipped down at much anything over 50. I realize that some may have windscreens that fully route the air over their helmets where that would be useful, but on my KLR it's not feasible. But come to think of it, with the visor attached or not, the open face shield flipped open past that first little "open slit" notch on my KBC actually does create a pretty turbulent air scoop. Of course, the open shield and helmet combo have no real outlet for the 70 mph air rushing in. The attached visor does. Interesting thought, and it might be more of an issue on a different bike with a different windscreen and a different air flow pattern over the rider. But as I said, the visor is extremely vented at the interface between the helmet and visor. Does that Super-Visor discussed earlier have relief vents? I didn't recall any, but again, the one main pic is kind of limited. Another thing...just about any MTB helmet visor will be vented and relatively compact like the one on my helmet, so it shouldn't be big wind sail.