ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #121
Josh_TN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
I have an '11 R1200GSA with Metzler Tourance tires, my 17yo son has an '09 KLR650 I gave him for his birthday with new Metzler MFE99 tires. We will be riding down to the Gap Thursday June 23rd through Sunday the 26th from central Indiana. We will be taking all back roads and no highways, as I think he will gain more experience from riding the back roads instead of the highway.
I have 2 weeks of hard trail experience in MOAB last year on various trails riding my '09 KLX250S as well as about 3 solid years of on road experience, and I road down to the Dragon last month on my GS, my son road the ATV along with me in MOAB last year. He has about one year of on road motorcycle experience on the KLX250S(70%), and on the KLR650(30%). He has only been off road on the ATV last year in MOAB.

When we get down there, we will be camping in the area as well. So we will have all of our gear with us. We will be riding the Dragon a few times and the foothill parkway next to it to get him acclimated and more comfortable with riding other than going straight. We will then be making our way to the Cherohala Parkway. After that, Saturday, I would like to hit some trails/fire roads. Not too advanced as I haven't been offroad on my GS and of course we will also have our panniers and gear. My son has never been offroad on a bike. I will be taking him to some limited offroad trails on the 250 near home in the next couple of days. Can anyone offer any advise on where to go. We would be happy to ride with any more experienced riders if in the area. I just don't want to get into a situation where we get stuck on a trail with a damaged bike, or broken bones. Thanks in advance for anyone's advise.
There are lots of great fire roads throughout the Cherokee NF. Hard to pick a bad one. My advice would be stick to the main fire roads that run near the river. They are beatiful. I would let him have fun first priority. He can learn to trail ride near the house, where he doesn't have the extra weight of luggage. Tellico MC Outfitters is a great place to get some free advice on the area. Good people!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Josh_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #122
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 655
118 mile Ultimate DS loop

To anyone that knows the area or that has done the loop,

I downloaded the GPS tracks that were posted in the first post for the Ultimate DS loop that begins in Tellico Plains and I'll be returning to Robbinsville, NC for our annual Deals Gap trip in May and was planning on doing the loop with a few other guys. We all have very DS capable bikes and are good riders, but my question is: How many opportunities are there for fuel along the way and what are the approximate amount of paved roads that are entailed in the 118 mile loop. Reason why I ask is, because I viewed the tracks in Google Earth to get an idea of what we'll be riding and I can't tell what's paved and what's not, and the only place that showed a gas station, was in Tellico Plains. Appreciate the info!
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #123
rabbitrandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
here is how you dont cross the creek on Witt Road

rabbitrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #124
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 655
So how long did it take you too revive the bike? Did you stand it up on the back wheel and try to drain all the water out? What exactly did you do?

Any idea on the gas stations along the route, that I asked in the previous post?
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #125
rabbitrandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post
So how long did it take you too revive the bike? Did you stand it up on the back wheel and try to drain all the water out? What exactly did you do?

Any idea on the gas stations along the route, that I asked in the previous post?
stood the bike on the back tire. pulled the plug and pumped any water out of the crack case. drained carb. then had to push it off because of weak KTM factory battery. Now has Shorai Battery. No gas stations till you get to Telico. As far as I know.

We actually launched from a place between Turtle Town and Farner 35 07 36.25N
84 20 39.11W

We met the guy that ownes the shop and asked if we could leave our trucks and trailers and was glad to accomodate. Very nice guy!

We were staying in Blue Ridge Ga. at the time.

I highly recommend downloading Google Earth. You can see some of the POI's in the area, Buck Bald, Apalachia Dam, Cocker Creek Falls......

I recommend Crawford Campground if you are looking for a place to stay.
rabbitrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #126
Josh_TN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post

Gas in the area is sparse. There is an Exxon in Tellico Plains. Once you leave there and get in the forest there is no gas. I can go around 110 mi before I hit reserve. I made it fine bit if you have a way to carry a gallon it wouldn't hurt. I tend to do a lot of exploring so I carry a 1.5 gal rotopax style can. Good luck.

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Josh_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #127
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Looks like the guys jumped right into the river to give you a hand.
423-253-2088

http://tellicomoto.com

The great riding pleasure is "to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women", all from a smaller, less powerful bike.
Minimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #128
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,875
Looks like you Douched that new 530 out

Considering lil 530's dont like water crossings, as they go dead
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #129
justcountry04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
wow great tracks I am down in FL but cant wait to get up there and try the route
justcountry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #130
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,834
Wicked Trails still open

I'm considering riding the area in June with some fellow once-upon-a-time juvenille delinquents. A few questions, please:

1) Are these trails pretty much still open?

2) Are any permits required on any part of the route for street legal bikes?

3) Is "python ulitmate02" (presented here) the latest iteration of the routes and tracks?

4) In order to do trail 81, one would jump off Part 3 (track) and do an out and back?

5) There's mention of trail 82 . . . is trail 82 part of 'part 2' of the tracks?

6) The route is laid out for CW riding. Any downside of riding it CW one day, and CCW the next?

TIA, for any & all answers. BTW, will try to keep in mind the "how not to cross the creek" video!

Looks like a good way to spend a June day or two when the temp and humidity in Tallahassee are fliriting with 100. Much thanks to python for laying down the trax!

halmc screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 04:55 AM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #131
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER
Getting There!

Oddometer: 153
Splooshhhhh

That was awesome, bet that water felt good. I will be riding my new F800GS down this next weekend of June 6th with my buddy who also got his new F800GS from Indiana. I will be trying to learn him some DS skillz on some of the fire roads my son and I rode last year, and maybe some creek crossings if he is feeling up to it. He can run his fatass Harley Electroglide on that dragon so fast, I have problems keeping up with him on my R1200GSA. I dont see how he whips that bitch around so easily. He is an oddity when it comes to Harley riders. He actually rides as much as I do. I logged about 18,000+ in 2011.
Anyone going to be down there that weekend?
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #132
J Banning
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Thanks to this thread my buddy and I hit Witt Road on our motards last year.
We first stopped at Tellico Plains Outfitters and were told we wouldn't make it through with slick tires, but we went anyway and it was a blast...

(with these tires!)

J Banning screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 08:02 AM
J Banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #133
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
Anyone going to be down there that weekend?
Looks like I am just gonna miss you. I will be leaving on Saturday June 9 but won't make it all the way to the Smokies until the 12th or 13th. And running solo so not gonna take too many chances. Get some pictures for us.
"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #134
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
I "think" there is gas in Reliance. http://www.webbbros.com/ Rode past there just last week, the pumps are there but I cant be sure they were in operation.

Again, there might be gas at Hall's Grocery, Archville (intersection of 30 and Kimsey Mountain Hwy). I got gas there but it has been a couple or three years.

I was down there over Memorial day. the roads are all open. Or at least we didnt run into anything closed in three days of riding. We didn follow the loop exactly, but we ran over a lot of it. Permits are not required. You must be street legal.

trail 82 runs East from Hwy 68. Stop at Motocycle Outfitters in Tellico for directions.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #135
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I "think" there is gas in Reliance. http://www.webbbros.com/ Rode past there just last week, the pumps are there but I cant be sure they were in operation.

Again, there might be gas at Hall's Grocery, Archville (intersection of 30 and Kimsey Mountain Hwy). I got gas there but it has been a couple or three years.

I was down there over Memorial day. the roads are all open. Or at least we didnt run into anything closed in three days of riding. We didn follow the loop exactly, but we ran over a lot of it. Permits are not required. You must be street legal.

trail 82 runs East from Hwy 68. Stop at Motocycle Outfitters in Tellico for directions.
Mucho thanks. Any estimate of how much of it is dirt?