User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
jsdc2005 OP
99%er

Oddometer: 634
Pinnacle vs. Interstate Star Sport extended warranty

I have comparable quotes from these two companies for an extended warranty on my R1200GS. I'm trying to decide between them. The prices are about the same; the coverages on paper appear about the same except that the Interstate one has included roadside assistance. I'm looking for anyone's experiences with these companies and getting claims paid. Also I'm not interested in hearing "don't buy either" unless you know of another extended warranty that I could buy instead. Thanks!
jsdc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
bgroover
woodchuck

Oddometer: 79
Bobs's sells star sport. Not that it means anything. Just a data point. I am considering it. Makes for a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wvriders/
bgroover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,586

I'm in discussions with my dealer in regard to replacing a cracked fuel pump flange on my 08 GS. The dealer suggested I consider their Interstate plan after I suggested that the part would probably fail again after my warranty expires. BMW is replacing cracked fuel pump flanges with new but unimproved replacements; they are not upgrading the part to address what I understand is a flawed design (use of NPT attachment).
Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
What is the cost?
I look at these warranties as paying for repairs and your bike has not broken yet.
The warranty companies calculate the price so on average they make money. Part of that price is the dealer / salesman commission too. Odds are if you keep the money in the bank you will be ahead.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Our dealing with Interstate Star sport is superior to that of Pinnacle both on the retail submission for a claim and on the back-end F&I side,.........for what that's worth.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 604
I agree with "Some Dude". I do not sell either but have filed claims with both. Pinnacle was like pulling teeth, they sent a rep to inspect the failed final drive before authorizing replacement of the big bearing. Interstate Star sport gave approval over the phone and the customer was back on the road later that same day.
Zurich is another option. Also faster than Pinnacle.

On the car side of life, my wife had a Pinnacle policy on her 98 Stratus. They covered about 5K in repairs over the life of the contract. That was money well spent.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,095
you prolly have roadside on your motorsickle policy..
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
dede
Lefty

Oddometer: 162
Have you talked to your insurance man yet? The guy I used several years ago told me an extended warranty is just an insurance policy and can be purchased from an insurance company much cheaper.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
great subject. i was looking to buy an 11 r1200gs and the topic of extended warranty came up .
since my biggest concern was final drive/ drive shaft failure id be more comfortable know that any big repair bills would be covered. the price for the extended on the bmw was half of what the same on a harley would be.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
A Word of Caution

While I've used extended warranties unless offered by the manufacturer, here is something many people are unaware of (I wasn't). The extended warranties (I had Interstate) state specifically what is covered. If not stated explicitly, then it is not covered. That simple. Consider how impossible it would be to state explicitly EVERY part.

An ABS pump went bad on my '07 GSA Adventure. Was not covered! Just don't expect too, too much from an extended warranty. Not saying you shouldn't buy one, but don't think it's an extension of your BMW warranty. It's not!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
I have Xtraride Powersports. Came with the bike when I bought it used. They did some repairs for the previous owner and he was very happy with them. Good reviews as well. I emailed them for some info and got a same day response and several emails back and forth. I'm not an extended warranty guy but I can't cancel and get some $ out of it, so I guess it stays.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dede View Post
Have you talked to your insurance man yet? The guy I used several years ago told me an extended warranty is just an insurance policy and can be purchased from an insurance company much cheaper.
Also the mark-up at the dealer on selling extended warranties is around 100%. Many dealers make more money selling financial products than they do selling vehicles.

Really useful to know, however, that the service from some is significantly better/worse than others.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote