ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,009
Santa Veronica to Mikes Sky Rancho

The track leaves Santa Veronica, goes through Laguna Hanson, El Rayo turnoff to Valle de Trinidad and onto Mikes. This is a well travelled and sometimes well marked route. It leaves the road right outside the Veronica gate on some fun twisty and rocky (almost 2 track due to ATV's) trail, then shortly rejoins the graded dirt road for some miles down to El Compadre Ranch, then hits the fun twisty, sandy, rocky, two track to Laguna Hanson, Ramonas, and El Rayo turnoff. From El Rayo turnoff to Valle de Trinidad has lots of twisty deep sand and big whoops with some bone jarring rocky stuff thrown in for good measure. From Valle de Trinidad its a 28 mile cruise into Mikes with just a few rocky and sandy whooped sections. Would be a very tough day out on a GS type bike, but super fun and easy-moderate for dirt bikes.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Veronica to Mikes.gpx (36.0 KB, 544 views)

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Eric in SD
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Is this route safe?

I plotted this route in google earth and noticed that is goes right through the Jamau area where a motorcycle rider was shot in November 2008. Has anyone ridden this route lately or have an update on the safety of riding on the main dirt roads in this area?

Does anyone have an alternate dirt route from Laguna Hansen to Mikes that avoids pavement?

Thanks!
Eric in SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Eric, my track is old. There are now locked gates just south of the El Rayo turnoff. To get though, leaving Ramona's, stay on the main road toward Ojos Negros, then after about 10 miles or so (thats a guess) you can make a a hard left where another big graded road Y's in and that will take you back to the route, past all the locked gates that have sprung up south of Laguna Hanson.

dont cut fences or bushwhack your way around LOCKED gates. You never know what you could be getting into, and besides that, its disrespectful to the ranchers.

When you come up to an unlocked gate, make sure you close it behind you, whether it was open or not when you came through. the only thing that pisses off ranchers more than riding by their houses with open pipes at race speeds is leaving their gates open and letting the stock get out.

Our N. Baja access is getting worse every month. Do your part to be a responsible rider and remember, you are actually riding through PRIVATE property and are able to do so only with the blessing of the local ranchers. They can lock us out anytime they choose.

When you get to Santa Catarina (at the baseball field), take the road that goes west to Mex 3 and take that into Valle de Trinidad and you will avoid the problem area. So you have to run a few extra miles of pavement. The Ejido doesnt want motos going through there anyway and going to the pavement at this spot bypasses the problem area.

Last year when i was through there I had a conversation with a rancher and he pretty much threatened to string up wires across the road and spread nail around. I'm pretty sure it was an idle threat but you never know.

That said, I really dont know if the guy was a rancher or a lookout for the "stuff" they have been growing around there for quite some time.

That area has been a problem for years. I've been through there countless time and have never been shot at, but mos Baja vets avoid that area as it has been the scene of problems over the years.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Eric in SD
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Eric, my track is old. There are now locked gates just south of the El Rayo turnoff. To get though, leaving Ramona's, stay on the main road toward Ojos Negros, then after about 10 miles or so (thats a guess) you can make a a hard left where another big graded road Y's in and that will take you back to the route, past all the locked gates that have sprung up south of Laguna Hanson.

dont cut fences or bushwhack your way around LOCKED gates. You never know what you could be getting into, and besides that, its disrespectful to the ranchers.

When you come up to an unlocked gate, make sure you close it behind you, whether it was open or not when you came through. the only thing that pisses off ranchers more than riding by their houses with open pipes at race speeds is leaving their gates open and letting the stock get out.

Our N. Baja access is getting worse every month. Do your part to be a responsible rider and remember, you are actually riding through PRIVATE property and are able to do so only with the blessing of the local ranchers. They can lock us out anytime they choose.

When you get to Santa Catarina (at the baseball field), take the road that goes west to Mex 3 and take that into Valle de Trinidad and you will avoid the problem area. So you have to run a few extra miles of pavement. The Ejido doesnt want motos going through there anyway and going to the pavement at this spot bypasses the problem area.

Last year when i was through there I had a conversation with a rancher and he pretty much threatened to string up wires across the road and spread nail around. I'm pretty sure it was an idle threat but you never know.

That said, I really dont know if the guy was a rancher or a lookout for the "stuff" they have been growing around there for quite some time.

That area has been a problem for years. I've been through there countless time and have never been shot at, but mos Baja vets avoid that area as it has been the scene of problems over the years.
Wow, thanks Crashmaster. I was just preparing to post this same question on another thread on Trip Planning board titled "Is Mexico safe". It is better to have your reply here where someone might come to pick up this file.
Eric in SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric in SD
Wow, thanks Crashmaster. I was just preparing to post this same question on another thread on Trip Planning board titled "Is Mexico safe".
Yeah, you wont get any good info out of that thread. It turned into a free for all. Still a fun read though.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,794
thanks crash master. i appreciate the route

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote