Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
StephenB OP
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Spoked wheels on a 1985-1995 Monolever rear drive

Spoked wheels on a 1985-1995 Monolever rear drive

Full recognition for the idea and KUDOS go the the Bauer brothers in Germany who performed and published this procedure first (here is their website, only few pics)

You arrived here for one of the following reasons:
  1. You don't like the y-shaped cast wheels that BMW introduced with the 1985-onwards streetbike monolever Airheads
  2. You would like to convert your 1988-on GS/R to a monolever rear drive and continue to use your 17in rear wheel with a 130/80-17
  3. You want different final drive ratios for your GS/R (37/11 and 33/11)
Since case 2 and 3 apply for me, I did not have to deal with the front end conversion as I have a spoked wheel front end already. However, it is quite straight forward: the 19" front wheel off the R100R fits onto a 1985-on monolever and only requires some different size sleeves to be correctly aligned, so is not entirely "plug 'n play".

The easiest way to approach the rear wheel conversion is using a 1988-1995 paralever (R80GS, R100GS, R80R, R100R) rear wheel.

I have marked the area of concern with the red arrow. How does that show when you mount the GS/R rear hub to the monolever rear drive:

In my case, 21.5mm of the inner hub had to come off. I gave the job to my local machinist Rich, and he took excellent care of it. I won't bore you with any details, just because I don't have any:

Now, in order to be able to use this wheel again on a paralever hub, I had Rich machine a spacer:

That took care of just the hub fitting to the final drive. The second before last thing you need are the 4 monolever wheel bolts (should you not already have them).

Now, the most important part is to make sure, that whatever tire size you're going to use is not rubbing at the swing arm. For a "standard" say 1987 R80 Monolever conversion, the rim has to be laced approx. 10mm off center.

My case is the conversion of a Paralever GS to a monolever. I would like to use 130-80/17 street tires or 50/50 to 70/30 knobbies, so I had some fellow riders check on tire width:

Tire size
Make/Model
Tire Width [mm]

140/80-17
Bridgestone BT45

140/80-18
Metzeler Enduro Sahara 3

130/80-17
Avon Gripster am24

130/80-17
Metzeler Enduro Sahara 3

130/80-17
Kenda 761 Dual Sport

130/80-17
Metzeler Tourance

130/80-17
Michelin Anakee

130/80-17
Metzeler Karoo 2

4.00-18
Metzeler Enduro Sahara 3

I took a couple of measurements of the new hub when installed. Assuming a safe 2-3mm clearance between rubber and swingarm, I have assumed a 140mm wide tire as maximun and therefore have the rim laced 15mm off-center to the left. I had Richard fabricate a 2mm shim, just in case the tires vary in width. But one can always use a knife to cut some rubber off.

I will consider a 30-50mm swingarm extension to the monolever swingarm as the paralever swingarm is 30mm (measured from swingarm pivot bolts to final drive center) longer than the monolever: 420mm vs. 450mm. I have collected some more measurements associated with the difference between Monolever and Paralever: http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/R...dimensions.xls.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 05-24-2009 at 02:28 PM Reason: Misleading Title
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,073
Excellent, thorough write up. Great visual aides. I give it an 8.5 or a 9. Whats it look like all ftted up?

I really like the idea of making the paralever into a monolever. Bulletproof rear diff, and easier to make longer, correct?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
StephenB OP
G(/)S ... what else!

Stagehand,
I won't have it all together before next year's riding season. Just imagine a completely refurbished Woody Y-laced GS wheel on a monolever final drive. It'll look as if it was designed that way!

Extending a monolever looks easier, I have an "appointment " with my machinist tomorrow to have initial discussions and to bounce some ideas off each other.

Stephen

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 07-20-2007 at 04:10 PM
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
shawn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi guys! can any other wire spoked wheel be used on a Mono bevel drive like this one. I can see why you have used a paralever wheel because you had one but as I haven't is there anything I can get that will fit straight on?
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
StephenB OP
G(/)S ... what else!

You'd need the 4-bolt GS/R hub no matter what and whatever Woody or Buchanans can lace to it.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,796
What a great idea! I just wish there was another way to do this without offsetting the rim. If 1/2" less were machined off the hub the brake shoes wouldn't mate up. Had you looked into other solutions to that problem?
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
StephenB OP
G(/)S ... what else!

No, I haven't looked and there are only so many BMW spoked wheels/hubs out there. I don't think you can solve it differently. Jon-Lars did the same on his converted GS with the original 3-bolt hub.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
Alexander Bauer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Excellent, thorough write up. Great visual aides. I give it an 8.5 or a 9. Whats it look like all ftted up?
On a Monolever the wheels look like this:

Alexander
Alexander Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #9
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
No, I haven't looked and there are only so many BMW spoked wheels/hubs out there. I don't think you can solve it differently. Jon-Lars did the same on his converted GS with the original 3-bolt hub.
I think the R100GS (& 80GS) and R are the only ones with a drum rear hub in the four lug design. Are there others? I was wondering if there was a way to locate the brake shoes a half inch farther out. Still, lacing the hub a half inch off center shouldn't be a big deal.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
shawn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I've been asking on my local bike forums about wheel lacing and its a lost art over here in the UK. Mag wheels have been out for 30 years and no one wanted spokes. Might be different in the USA with Harleys being so popular.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
StephenB OP
G(/)S ... what else!

Hi Alex,

nice of you to chime in. After all it was your idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Bauer
Hi!

On a Monolever the wheels look like this:

Alexander

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
Baffo
Sleutel 10

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
Spoked wheels on a 1985-1995 Monolver rear drive
You arrived here for one of the following reasons:
  1. You don't like the y-shaped cast wheels that BMW introduced with the 1985-onwards streetbike monolever Airheads
  2. You would like to convert your 1988-on GS/R to a monolever rear drive and continue to use your 17in rear wheel with a 130/80-17
  3. You want different final drive ratios for your GS/R (37/11 and 33/11)
Why not use an R65G/S or R80G/S hub (3 bolt holes) and a R80GS/R100GS rim respoked to each other? Or any other 40 spoke rim. (I want a 4.25x17 rear...)

Baffo screwed with this post 08-19-2007 at 01:50 AM
Baffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
StephenB OP
G(/)S ... what else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffo
Why not use an R65G/S or R80G/S hub (3 bolt holes) and a R80GS/R100GS rim respoked to each other? Or any other 40 spoke rim. (I want a 3.25x17 rear...)
Because you would have the additional expense of buying a 3-bolt final drive in case you are aiming for the described 4-bolt monolever cast to spoked wheel conversion.

If you had a G/S already you can lace almost anything to that hub ... within reason that is. 3.25x17 doesn't seem excessive.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Alexander Bauer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffo
Why not use an R65G/S or R80G/S hub (3 bolt holes) and a R80GS/R100GS rim respoked to each other? Or any other 40 spoke rim. (I want a 3.25x17 rear...)
The 80 G/S had two version 10:32 and 11:37. 10:32 is rarely seen (most of them on ST). IMHO not the thing you are looking for a 100cc BMW.

I did the conversion because I wanted spokes. Cast Y-wheels IMHO look wrong on such a bike:

OK, it needs paint ....

Alexander
Alexander Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
indianscot
VERY easily distracted!

Oddometer: 70
Does this make sense?

To utilise the stiffness of a mono arm and use spokes, how about turning the arm into a twinshock type arm, ie. Double sided but single shocked. This way you could use various twinshock bevels, easier wheel finding.
Downside is loosing easy wheel removal and extra weight. Someone said that HPN does this for strength.
The offset of r100r wheel, how does the alignment with the front work out?
indianscot is offline   Reply With Quote