Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
2Laud 2Bro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Question DR650 17" Front wheel information

Price and where to buy?

Does rotor from 21" wheel bolt right on?

Plan to lower the rear shock if needed, then lower the front by using the 17" wheel. Options for four different drivers, 5' to 6' tall - 16 to 50 years.

Would like to keep the 21" wheel-tire for logging trails while prospecting/hunting grouse woods.

Trying to get the most use out of a multipurpose motorcycle.
2Laud 2Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
514Advrider
Addicted

Oddometer: 73
If you're just looking at lowering the front of the motorcycle, you do not need to spend money on 17'' front wheel. If the rear of the bike is lowered, you can simply compensate by moving the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. There's a bunch of people on the forum that have done this, so I am aure someone can inform you my how much exactly you should move up the forks. You can ask this question in the DR 650 thread.

The 17 '' wheel has its purpose when people want to put sportbike tires on their DR's. Otherwise, it throws off your speedo by 20% or so, the bike becomes a rougher ride on potholes and such (smaller diameter wheel..) and it is expensive (400+ USD).
514Advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
2Laud 2Bro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 514Advrider

The 17 '' wheel has its purpose when people want to put sportbike tires on their DR's.

That's the "purpose". Good point about the speedo error.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
mewerj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Your best bet is going to be a OEM front hub with a 17" wheel laced to it. So yes the OEM rotor would work. It is probably worth it to buy a 2nd rotor though as it speeds up the swap so much. I've never seen an set of adapters to put an Excel front hub on a DR650 front, but its possible a DRZ400 Excel would work--DRZ400 and DR650 do have different front brake diameters so you couldn't use the DRZ400 rotor. FYI there is a DR650 supermoto on Ebay with F/R Excels right now--linky--I don't know what kind of spacers or what that involved.

If you use the 17x3.5 up front that fits common sportbike rubber, your front rim is going to be wider than your OEM back rim and those sticky sportbike tires will be too wide for the OEM back rim. 17x4.25 is the hot ticket out back for a supermoto. If you are going to get a a rear wheel as well definitely you want use OEM hubs as they have a cush. Getting a second set of hubs front and rear and getting proper 17" motard rims fitted to them can get pretty pricey. A skinny 19" front rim and the OEM 17" rear is a pretty good compromise as far as street handling, dirt handling, and tire availability--both mild DP and street tires.

I have a DR and 17x3.5 17x4.25 supermoto rims as well as OEM dirt wheels, and when riding in the dirt, I often think "man for not much more than the 2nd set of wheels I could have gotten a older honest to goodness woodsbike or smaller dualsport." Your mileage may vary . . . also, living in Florida I probably don't as much fun out of the supermoto wheels as I should.

edit fixed link
mewerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
2Laud 2Bro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

mewerj,

well thought out great info

Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
DRinda505
I'm right behind you.

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewerj
Your best bet is going to be a OEM front hub with a 17" wheel laced to it. So yes the OEM rotor would work. It is probably worth it to buy a 2nd rotor though as it speeds up the swap so much. I've never seen an set of adapters to put an Excel front hub on a DR650 front, but its possible a DRZ400 Excel would work--DRZ400 and DR650 do have different front brake diameters so you couldn't use the DRZ400 rotor. FYI there is a DR650 supermoto on Ebay with F/R Excels right now--linky--I don't know what kind of spacers or what that involved.

If you use the 17x3.5 up front that fits common sportbike rubber, your front rim is going to be wider than your OEM back rim and those sticky sportbike tires will be too wide for the OEM back rim. 17x4.25 is the hot ticket out back for a supermoto. If you are going to get a a rear wheel as well definitely you want use OEM hubs as they have a cush. Getting a second set of hubs front and rear and getting proper 17" motard rims fitted to them can get pretty pricey. A skinny 19" front rim and the OEM 17" rear is a pretty good compromise as far as street handling, dirt handling, and tire availability--both mild DP and street tires.

I have a DR and 17x3.5 17x4.25 supermoto rims as well as OEM dirt wheels, and when riding in the dirt, I often think "man for not much more than the 2nd set of wheels I could have gotten a older honest to goodness woodsbike or smaller dualsport." Your mileage may vary . . . also, living in Florida I probably don't as much fun out of the supermoto wheels as I should.

edit fixed link
The DRZ400 wheel will not fit.
The DRZ400 wheels use a different 20 mm diameter axle, and the DR650 uses a 17 mm axle. The 20 mm dia. DRZ axle will not fit the DR650 forks, and they don't make the necessary wheel bearings for the swap.