ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Gerlach to Idaho Need a simple route

Planning a trip to Minn. from Sacramento at the end of July. My neighbor will ride the first leg. Hope to get to Gerlach after work on a thursday and leave towards the north east in the morning. I really dont want to spend more than a day and a half getting across there. (I'd like to do it in a day if possible)

I'm looking for some non-technical jeep roads from Gerlach towards Idaho or atleast to the east. I'll be on my 950 and my buddy on his 1200GS. A short blast on that lake be would be cool for a bit too! I would prefer not to carry extra fuel but if need be we will. I just want to get off the slab for a while. I may post other requests for other parts of the route but I'll be alone for that. Thanks in Advance!

Mr. E.
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
Ask in Gerlach. They will know the local conditions.

If we are thinking of the same Gerlach (black rock), then the dirt roads north are completely OK for a GS. Gas should not be a problem provided that you are carefull.

The AAA map shows the important dirt roads in that region.

Fairly desolate once you pass Soldier Meadows.
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duitswes
....If we are thinking of the same Gerlach (black rock), ....
Yup, that's the Gerlach, North of Reno, Burning Man, all that... Keep the info coming.. Hate to stick to the AAA maps.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
Here are tracks that I have collected from a few people, I have done most of them on my GS, I was told that Gas is avail in Denio again, If not there about 30 miles north usually has it.
Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GerlachDenio.gpx (525.3 KB, 79 views)

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I seem to be having troubles opening this file. Tried in Google Earth and MapSource???
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEndo
Thanks, I seem to be having troubles opening this file. Tried in Google Earth and MapSource???
I just downloaded it and it was fine, Did you save the file and when you saved it did it save it with the ".gpx" extension?
It should be fine, Try renaming it by just adding the ".gpx"
Let me know
Robert

rwamf homepage
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it. Thanks. I'm still hoping to get some local wisdom.....
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
For a quick, no hassle transit by mostly dirt I'd suggest catching what is called Secondary State Route 49 from Gerlach to Winnemucca. It takes off just south of Gerlach, loosley following the SP train tracks across the southern edge of the Black Rock Desert. Take I80 from Winnemucca to Golcanda and pick up SR 789 which turns into a dirt road as it turns into Secondary State Route 18, which runs into the MIdas-Tuscarora County Road. Past Tuscarora pick up SR 226 to Forest Road 473. This Forest road runs into SR 225. On SR 225 jog south about a quarter mile and take the road heading west . This runs you into Forest Road 062 which will run you up to Jarbidge, a good spot to spend the night.

This route takes you past severl old ghost towns and mining camps, should let you cover the distance in an easy day, and Jarbidge is worth a visit. The state and county roads are really maintained to let folks get to and from the big ranches that were established out there in the late 1800s, a land still so remote that the ranching families send their rug rats to state funded boarding schools.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That sounds REAL promising! Thanks! Just what I'm looking for. What are the fuel stops?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Gas: can count on it in Gerlach, Winnemucca and Jarbidge. Winnemucca to Jarbidge will be a 200 mile run, more with side trips. If that is pushing the range of your bikes then I would suggest that when you hit SR 226 east of Tuscarora head north to Deep Creek. At Deep Creek turn west, which should be Secondary State Route 11, which runs you up to Owyhee, which has a couple of gas stations. Then you can come back down SR 225 until you reach Elko County Road 746 - if you were to take SR226 to Jack Creek to pick up FR 473 to SR 225, County Road 746 is the one I mentioned that takes you over to FR 062.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Here are tracks that I have collected from a few people, I have done most of them on my GS, I was told that Gas is avail in Denio again, If not there about 30 miles north usually has it.
Enjoy
I would not recomend these for anything but singles under 320 lbs.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
MrEndo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Jerry, I was planning on checking with you after I semi-chose a route..
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Gerlach to Denio

These are all county roads and faily fun.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Ger-Denio.gpx (25.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Robert and Jerry, do I need a plated bike for the tracks that you provided? Can I access fuel at Denio Junction with a non plated bike and do you have a contact number so I can verify fuel is available?

Thanks for the info, Pete
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2
Robert and Jerry, do I need a plated bike for the tracks that you provided? Can I access fuel at Denio Junction with a non plated bike and do you have a contact number so I can verify fuel is available?

Thanks for the info, Pete
Can't say if you would be okay or not with a non-plated bike, You should not have any trouble on the county roads, but might have to jump on the highway for gas. Damm laws change and you never know where you might run into an enforcement officer.
The last #'s I had for Denio Junction was 775-941-0371 or 775-941-0171.
The last time I rode through two years ago it was closed, I think the owner died or something, I have heard that it was open again.
Robert

rwamf homepage