User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,007
Mauna Kea 200 and Post Race Clean-Up Ride

I did the Mauna Kea 200 (MK200) on the 27th of May.

In the days of yore the MK200 was billed as America's Toughest Enduro, the likes of Malcolm Smith, John DeSoto, and friends would show up in the late 70s and early '80's. Team Husky continued being there until the early '90s.

Due to access issues the course has shrunk over the years and it went from an enduro to a Hare n Hound. I've assisted over the years and with all the access issues this year I decided to enter.

Did a Mauna Kea Jetting ride with a friend's son, here's his dad Mike wrenching on the carb:

Halfway around of 57 miles on the northeast slope of Mauna Kea, the course would go from 6,200' to 9,700' as it circles the tallest mountain in the world. I realise others are higher but when measured from it's base Mauna Kea is the tallest (for the anally statistic intensive I'll post the hiegth at some point).

Noa charging up the slope:

Letting the dust pass or at least catch up:

Continuing on:

Done for today's pre-run, I've decided to keep an eye out for Noa who's starting behind me so I don't get run over. That kid is pretty fast, I figured at seventeen I had 30 years of experience on him.... Right, he waited for me and taught me the lines all day!

Time to go home and rest, tomorrow evening I'd head up to camp out for the race. Here's a shot of the ride to Mauna Kea State Park and race headquarters the following evening. It's the usual Mauna Kea evening, clear skies, low temps, and clouds passing thru....

It's bedtime in Hilo, I'll add the rest shortly. Robert
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,097
Very cool! Good luck with the ride!!!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Thanks GGS, but it's a done deal. Had I known about the additional luck then it may have done the trick!

Anyway, here's a couple of more shots before I head off to my daily routine.

I ended up not staying at the State Park because the Hooligans were starting to hooliganate and I wanted to get a little rest before my big debut. Fortunately my office is half a mile down the road and we have cots, hot showers, and realative quiet there. In the morning I drive over to the "Pits".

The 20' container on the right has 12 bikes from Oahu, the Harpers Box Trucks carry the Maui and Kauai boys, the neighbor islands as well as California are represented this year (Washington had an entry but he no showed).

Here's a XR650R from Kona, us big island folks can't afford the fancy Box Trucks and Sea-Land Vans.....

Tech inspection.

This guy showed up, rumor has it that Cycle World sponsored him and sent a photographer along so they can do a story in the future. His bike made it through tech inspection no tears, he was on a fresh out of the box CRF250X.

I make it through inspection, it was one of the few sections I "Cleaned" all day...

The actual start was four miles down the Brand New Saddle Road section, we were the first to officially use the road, Dan Inouye came over two days later and cut the ribbon to open it. The Rock Island Riders starting and timing crew has been involved in the MK200 for over thirty years, initially as participants, now as organizers, they're short handed, short of time, short of cooperation, but somehow pull it off... Must be the Beer, Cigars, and Red Bull that they always seem to have a ton of.

Off to the shower for me...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Lookin' good!!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Heck next time I come over to my time-share (Kona Coast Resort) I am going to take apart my 450 EXC put it in my luggage and do some riding!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson
Heck next time I come over to my time-share (Kona Coast Resort) I am going to take apart my 450 EXC put it in my luggage and do some riding!
Doug -

In that case, plan to be here over Memorial Day weekend you can race and then do a bunch more riding afterwards or before. We got some great trails over here.

GB -

Hope you noticed the Good Luck Maile Lei that were strapped across the handlebars.

I'll add some more pics after my "Having a Baby" training the wife signed us up for tonight.... I don't know what the big deal is, I drop her at the hospital, I pass out some cigars, and pick her up the next day or so when the keg is empty....
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
WOW memories!!!!!!!!!
I DNFed in 78 and 79. man that kicked my ass. I had done a couple of Enduros in Fla before and they were a walk in the park. I remember a bit of trail that was elevated rock wall across the rough lava ( aa i think). If it wasnt the rocks or jungle then it was the mud. Lived in Hawi and I think we started in Wiemea. Truely a tough race. I did the VCGP 20 times back when it was 41/2 hours plus a lap and it was not as hard as the MK200 back then.
I was mostly a sufer hippie back then but did like the 390 huskys. If I remember Jerry Lopez came over and showed us he was a master at more than Pipeline.
Thanks those were some great days from my past.
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
motoxusa
Biker Dude

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper

This guy showed up, rumor has it that Cycle World sponsored him and sent a photographer along so they can do a story in the future. His bike made it through tech inspection no tears, he was on a fresh out of the box CRF250X.
Chances are that the above rider is John Desoto. John DeSoto was one of the early pioneers of motocross in America. Known to his fans as the "Flyin’ Hawaiian," DeSoto was a well known motocross racer during the late 1960s and early '70s. He'll be 60 this July and I understand that he's still fast.

2004 DRZ400S
motoxusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxusa
Chances are that the above rider is John Desoto. John DeSoto was one of the early pioneers of motocross in America. Known to his fans as the "Flyin’ Hawaiian," DeSoto was a well known motocross racer during the late 1960s and early '70s. He'll be 60 this July and I understand that he's still fast.
Oh yeah, that's John D! I believe he won the MK200 five times I guess he figured it was a good addition to his AMA #1 Motocross plate. The results and a fair amount of MK200 history are at the www.MK200.com website.

He won his class and smoked me, really great guy, he's going to be throwing his shoulder in behind us as we organize a Hawaii State rider's coalition to insure we all have continued trail access.

JD back in the day..
Old 06-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #10
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

The MK200 started as the Centennial 200 back in 1976, at that time it was an actual timed enduro that ran a full 200 miles over two days starting from 15 or so feet above sea level and then up to just short of 10K' above sea level. It's currently a Hare and Hound that this year was a mere 57 miles due to land access issues and also because the organizers wanted to make it into a more all around rider event.

The Rock Island Riders put it on, they're basically Ed Ung (who raced in '76) and anybody with a motorcycle, Quad, Jeep, or Unimog that's willing to help. Ed is a hell of a guy, he has a Ford GT that he spent six figures on yet didn't come with an ashtray.

Ed's solution to the ashtray problem was pretty simple:

This is a typycal Ed solution, a SPAM can in a $140,000 car, simple, efficient, and functional.

Ed's second from the right, at this point he's chillin as the race winds down.

The race results are a the www.mk200.com it ran from about 6,200' to 9,700' over the 57 mile course. Race day the temps were from 47 degrees during check in to about 84 degrees at the peak, I think 99 folks actually showed up to ride.

I volunteered to pull ribbons the Sunday after the race, link up was Mauna Kea State Park at 9:00 a.m.

I get there at 8:45 to be greated by this guy, Hogzilla in the making????

We head out to the Dept of Hawaiian Homelands that were the first part of the event, loose Mauna Kea ash with some rocks thrown in.

My first crash during the HnH was here just to the right of the Mamane Tree.

Where we're headed.

Where we came from.

Looking back to the east southeast and Hilo.

Ribbons to pull.

Hilo from about 9,000'

At the 9,600' mark, the white stuff on the slopes is a "Single engined military jet" or so I was told.

Alright beer run time, back in a bit.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Still from the top of the course looking east:

Wayne, MK200 time keeper pulling up on his Husky 450.

Dennis decides he needs to reset the float on his '90's Yamaha 350 Primary carb and propmptly drops an O ring.... and somebody actually finds it

Ed cleaning up the doughnut scars from a non-participant.

Dennis taking another shot at his carb, he was riding with one hand on the gas petcock and one on the throttle trying to keep his bike going, he made it but rode single handed pretty much for half the ride.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Ed and company are called the Rock Island Riders and they pick the rocky routes to remind us why.

IMHO This was the knarliest hill of the race, it was a major bottleneck, I dropped my bike here and promptly got pelted by mango to pineapple sized rocks by a guy that made it past me.

Washed out the front here....

Maui's Haleakala in the distance

The BIG switchback.

Returning to Mauna Kea State Park we're again greeted by the porker except this time the whole tribe decides to check us out.

That's it for the '07 event, I didn't run into any ADVriders that I knew during it. Keep an eye out for the next one, information ought to be on their website by February '08 or so.

Mark your calenders for the Memorial Day Weekend!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
I only wish I could stuff my 450 into my luggage! We have been to the Big Island a lot since 1989 when we bought our first timeshare. We have timeshares on Hawaii and Maui and have been to all the Islands but I prefer the Big Island because it has everything and more. I have been in a helicopter when the pilot had one skid on the edge of a vent and the other skid hanging out above the moulten lava just bubling away below you, or hovering over the top of hole in a lava tube with the lava running like a fast moving river to the sea! What a place, I just wish I had my 450 dulie there to go exploring. Thanks for the report and the great pics.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Heck next time I come over to my time-share (Kona Coast Resort)!
Im here/there right now and lovin' it!

Cool report always wantd to ride here!
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
I prefer the Big Island because it has everything and more.
Doug -

That's the same reason that I moved over here, all through highschool and college we'd come over here to hike, camp, surf, cruise, and generally fut around. If it ends in "ing" you can do it over here; surf, hike, kayak, dive, bike....

Robert