Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
epolac OP
Forever n00b

Oddometer: 139
Eh? DRZ 400S vs DRZ 400SM..... or DR650SE?

Hi All...
I used to have a KLR650. now I am looking to get a new bike. Maybe even another KLR
I've been taking a look at the specs of the DRZ 400 S (DS) and the DRZ 400 SM (supermoto) and I have a couple of stoopid n00b questions :

a) Is the suspension and tires the only difference between the two models?

b) Are the engines tuned up differently or something not shown in the spec sheet (more torque in one or more hp)?

c) If I got a DRZ 400SM, would it be enough to put new wheels and tires to make it an all terrain bike?

Last, but not least,
d) Would it be better to get a DR650SE and put some inverted forks in it? d1) Would this be way too expensive, not justified, impossible, etc?

Thank you very much for your input
epolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by epolac
Hi All...
I used to have a KLR650. now I am looking to get a new bike. Maybe even another KLR
I've been taking a look at the specs of the DRZ 400 S (DS) and the DRZ 400 SM (supermoto) and I have a couple of stoopid n00b questions :

b) Are the engines tuned up differently or something not shown in the spec sheet (more torque in one or more hp)?

c) If I got a DRZ 400SM, would it be enough to put new wheels and tires to make it an all terrain bike?

Last, but not least,
d) Would it be better to get a DR650SE and put some inverted forks in it? d1) Would this be way too expensive, not justified, impossible, etc?

G'Day Mate,

I'm no expert on anything ... have owned, among others, a KLR650 Tengai, a DL650 and am currently riding a DR650 though.

RE: "Would it be better to get a DR650SE and put some inverted forks in it? " ... what do you actually want to do with the bike????

:-) a.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
epolac OP
Forever n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQx

RE: "Would it be better to get a DR650SE and put some inverted forks in it? " ... what do you actually want to do with the bike????

I'm looking for a bike that can go most anywhere but that has better manners off road than the KLR. I did some pretty gnarly stuff (for a total n00b like me) two years ago in a group ride in the Berkshires and plan on doing some more of that type of riding, but also will be doing a fair amount of road riding... Does that help?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
I'm looking for a bike that can go most anywhere but that has better manners off road than the KLR. I did some pretty gnarly stuff (for a total n00b like me) two years ago in a group ride in the Berkshires and plan on doing some more of that type of riding, but also will be doing a fair amount of road riding... Does that help?
DR650 = somewhat better off-road manners than KLR (feels quite a bit lighter, is a bit lighter, much less stuff to break). also cheaper to maintain and longer living.

DRZ400? = from what I hear ... MUUUUCH better off-road once you get into single track stuff ... pain in the backside though if you want to do a fair bit of highway/sealed road stuff ...

What is your mix? (mine is a fair bit of sealed roads, also quite a bit of dirt roads, but very little gnarly stuff ... therefore a DR650 for me)

... Does that help?

;-) a.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
Wicked Dr650sm

Quote:
G'Day Mate,

I'm no expert on anything ... have owned, among others, a KLR650 Tengai, a DL650 and am currently riding a DR650 though.

Regards Aussie
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
The S and SM have the same engine, same tuning. Someone may have a more exact list of the changes between the two, but they're basically wheels, brakes, and the front fork.

If you're going to build up a secondary set of wheels, most folks think it's better to start with the SM and get the better forks and brakes, then the other way around. But you really do have to build up an extra set if you plan on doing any serious dirt riding as that 17" front doesn't work very well in the dirt and there is no decent dirt rubber in the 17" size. So unless you're going to build up that 2nd set of wheels, you're better off with the S which will do both dirt and street fine with the 21" front end.

The DR650 is more in the KLR mold, more old tech, more mellow, more comfortable, more touring-oriented. Mounting expensive upside down forks to this bike would see a little like putting lipstick on a seven-year-old. For what the bike is designed for, the stock forks are fine.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
epolac OP
Forever n00b

Quote:
DR650 = somewhat better off-road manners than KLR (feels quite a bit lighter, is a bit lighter, much less stuff to break). also cheaper to maintain and longer living.
It is also cheaper than a KLR, interesting ...

Quote:
DRZ400? = from what I hear ... MUUUUCH better off-road once you get into single track stuff ... pain in the backside though if you want to do a fair bit of highway/sealed road stuff ...
Perhaps a corbin seat will ease that pain

Quote:
What is your mix? (mine is a fair bit of sealed roads, also quite a bit of dirt roads, but very little gnarly stuff ... therefore a DR650 for me)
My mix is quite eclectic. I have done a fair amount of tarmac, dirt roads, gravel, and the ride in the berkshires was a bit scary for me at times, mostly because the bike was way to heavy for a wimpy guy like me (5'8" 150 lbs, NOT athletic). Here are some pics of that ride:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82551
I'm the one with the yellow helmet on the green KLR with the red/black jacket (I had a colorful life )

Quote:
... Does that help?
You bet it does!!! Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
epolac OP
Forever n00b

Laugh

Thank you for your reply Mark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The S and SM have the same engine, same tuning. Someone may have a more exact list of the changes between the two, but they're basically wheels, brakes, and the front fork.
That's what I figured so far, but I saw a video on a Supermoto French pilot Called Maurice Chambon, "demoing" the SM (he does the wheelie thing, the slide thing, etc). Of course He's a pro and I'm just a n00b, but I think that shows the bike has more than enough juice. (don't know if the S can do that as well)

Quote:
If you're going to build up a secondary set of wheels, most folks think it's better to start with the SM and get the better forks and brakes, then the other way around. But you really do have to build up an extra set if you plan on doing any serious dirt riding as that 17" front doesn't work very well in the dirt and there is no decent dirt rubber in the 17" size. So unless you're going to build up that 2nd set of wheels, you're better off with the S which will do both dirt and street fine with the 21" front end.
I'd definitely would try to build the second set of wheels. I think it is worth to have better suspension and brakes to begin with. and I think (correct me if I am wrong) that it would be cheaper to build the second set of wheels than to upgrade the suspension and brakes on the S model.. Am I right?

Quote:
The DR650 is more in the KLR mold, more old tech, more mellow, more comfortable, more touring-oriented. Mounting expensive upside down forks to this bike would see a little like putting lipstick on a seven-year-old. For what the bike is designed for, the stock forks are fine.
no way to improve the suspension? I hope it is better than the stock suspension on the KLR. I don't have much experience, but it was a little weird how it dove every time I applied the front brakes .
Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 AM   #9
epolac OP
Forever n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_aussiedr650

Sweet!!!! what mods do you have there? tank, Wheels... what else?? how much did it cost to get it like that? (if you don't mind my asking of course)

I'd still be a little concerned about the weight on the 650... maybe I should hit the gym
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 AM   #10
dirt missile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Hi All...
Quote:

Last, but not least,

Hey man, hereís my perspective: I probably ride 50-50 (on and off road (easy to gnarly)), and Iíve found that on an S (especially late model with latest suspension) you can do everything that an SM can do (save for extreme pavement antics) but you will have a real hard time doing off road stuff on an SM. Of course I mean without changing the wheels out, but thatís something I DID NOT want to do. Iíve found that my new S (even with the Trailwings) is VERY vesitile: hop on the interstate, exit, country road, dirt road, single track, no track, turn around back to the farmÖ super fun and no compromises IMHO.
The only things Iíve done: low Suzuki gel seat (excelent!); IMS real big foot pegs (also excelent); guards and protectors of various types; rear fender chop; side stand switch removal. I find the engine to be very capable and plenty powerful the way it is. Ö and I just calculated 57 mpg!... at 500 milesJ
dirt missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #11
cenglebardt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Dirt Missle, I couldnt agree more. I have an '07 DRZ400S with stock Trailwings and can embarass sportbikes on twisty roads(except when the road opens up!). The bike absolutely rails in the tight turns and is very confidence inspiring. It is my preferred ride these days because it is just so much fun. The fueling and clutch/tranny are spot on. I dont believe I could ride an SM version that much faster as the engine seems to be the limiting factor. I am just wide open in the corners and the Trailwings handle extreme lean angles very well. And.. when I see an off road opportunity, I just let a few pounds of air out of the tires and the bike does most off road quite well. Since I am not a major dirt rider, I am sticking with Trailwings which are a good compromise for me. They only suffer in mud and real soft terrain. So, I guess what I am saying is that I am amazed at the versatility of the DRZ400S. It is a GREAT street ride just as is, and a very acceptable off road machine as is for someone without major dirt riding aspirations. Highly recommended. (by the way,I am a "sportbike guy" from way back. Also, I put a TT bashplate, radiator guards, plus some cosmetic mods on the DRZ)
cenglebardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
epolac OP
Forever n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt missile

Hey man, hereís my perspective: I probably ride 50-50 (on and off road (easy to gnarly)), and Iíve found that on an S (especially late model with latest suspension) you can do everything that an SM can do (save for extreme pavement antics) but you will have a real hard time doing off road stuff on an SM. Of course I mean without changing the wheels out, but thatís something I DID NOT want to do. Iíve found that my new S (even with the Trailwings) is VERY vesitile: hop on the interstate, exit, country road, dirt road, single track, no track, turn around back to the farmÖ super fun and no compromises IMHO.
The only things Iíve done: low Suzuki gel seat (excelent!); IMS real big foot pegs (also excelent); guards and protectors of various types; rear fender chop; side stand switch removal. I find the engine to be very capable and plenty powerful the way it is. Ö and I just calculated 57 mpg!... at 500 milesJ
I might have understood wrong what I read/heard elsewhere, but I was under the impression that the front suspension of the S model was a little to soft and 'wobbly'... Did I get my info wrong?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #13
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,994
Opinion seems to be divided on the 400S as a street bike. Some hate it, some love it. Some guys have a KLR and a 400S. I have a plated E, but I wouldn't take it to the corner for milk. It needs a better seat to be tolerable on the street, but even with knobbies it is a lot of fun on twisty pavement.

The DR650 suspension is better than a KLR, save for the rear shock's lack of rebound damping, which you will want to address if you add a stiffer rear spring. I think the DR is as good on the road as the KLR, and better off-road.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
perryg114
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I think if you are coming off a KLR the DR650SE will be fine. I have taken mine in some nasty stuff and it does fine with MT-21's and a 14 tooth front sprocket. Don't even think about motorcrossing it. I have a DRZ400E also which is the dirt model. I can't imagine the DRZ400S being that much better off road than the DR650SE if you add 25 lbs to my DRZ400E and loose 10 HP. The DR650SE is great on the road as well. You are going to get tired of the DRZ400S real fast on the road.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #15
Britmick
Banned

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
In a nutshell,you need a DRZ400s................forget anything else........end of story!

Mick.
Britmick is offline   Reply With Quote