ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #4021
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by yard dog View Post
I'm going to have to put in a plug for the lowly KLR. Comfortable for touring, easy to work on, cheap enough, capable of decent off road fun. Rock solid reliable. I just bought another one as a winter project.
There may be a better bike out there but in my mind this is the best bang for the buck. Set up right it would be my choice to ride to Alaska. Not going to happen in the forseeable future for me so no matter what bike you choose, do it if you can. Ken
Should have never sold my 2003 the KLR just seems roomier fir my big butt than the DR
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #4022
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Here's a couple short video's to help you get thru the winter.
Mark

Nice job Big Dog! Happy trails!
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #4023
ThumperDRZ OP
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Here's a couple short video's to help you get thru the winter.

These both were taken on the 27 day ride I did this summer from Mexico to Canada. Enjoy

Mark
Looked like a great ride Mark.......

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #4024
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Should have never sold my 2003 the KLR just seems roomier fir my big butt than the DR
I just went to a 685 kit, done the doo, and dropped a sprocket on the front, new kenda tires Im ready for the mountains in Ouray this summer. I agree with you wayno. Just Sayin
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #4025
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
I just went to a 685 kit, done the doo, and dropped a sprocket on the front, new kenda tires Im ready for the mountains in Ouray this summer. I agree with you wayno. Just Sayin

685 is nice as long as it doesnt reduce reliability...sound good!
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #4026
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Will you be riding the KLR to Ouray?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #4027
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
Will you be riding the KLR to Ouray?
No ezrdr55 I have a 6 by 12 utility trailer that Im going to use to haul all my gear and the 650 in, its about 2200 miles round trip out there and back. I think I will enjoy the ride more if I knock that out in the pickup truck. Check out my thread in the regional Colorado thread under Ouray some of the locals have put up some pretty cool pictures, cant wait to do Black Bear Pass.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #4028
ThumperDRZ OP
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
No ezrdr55 I have a 6 by 12 utility trailer that Im going to use to haul all my gear and the 650 in, its about 2200 miles round trip out there and back. I think I will enjoy the ride more if I knock that out in the pickup truck. Check out my thread in the regional Colorado thread under Ouray some of the locals have put up some pretty cool pictures, cant wait to do Black Bear Pass.
I just went and looked at that thread - All I have to say is "Holy Sh*t" on some of those photos of Black Bear Pass....Wow!

Take lots of pictures for us.....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #4029
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:

I got the Wee-Strom so I wouldn't have to truck the KTM to CO, but I still do that too. Black Bear is very cool. The view of the water fall at the power plant is awesome.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #4030
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
I got the Wee-Strom so I wouldn't have to truck the KTM to CO, but I still do that too. Black Bear is very cool. The view of the water fall at the power plant is awesome.

Hey EZRDR when is the CO trip? I have 1-6 Aug available right now if you don't mind another rider along. Still hoping for Swinging Bridges 2011. Have been doing alot of dirt road and trail riding for a much better showing this year. ie, I don't slow everyone down again this year.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #4031
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

BlackBear Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
I just went and looked at that thread - All I have to say is "Holy Sh*t" on some of those photos of Black Bear Pass....Wow!

Take lots of pictures for us.....
I sure will ThumperDRZ, I have a friend from Augusta MO that goes out there every year and rides the mountain passes out of Ouray, he rides a XR 650L and claims the KLR is to heavy for BlackBear, he also has way more experience than I do as I have only been riding dualsport for a few years. The dualsport bug bit me a few years ago when I accidentally found Bigdogs website. I thought heck Im going to try that. Now I cant get enough of it. Cant wait for the BlackBear.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #4032
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Black bear pass, wow!

Nice to see STL area on the map for the recent fatalities of a st peter's couple that tried black bear in a jeep and failed

Quote:
A vacationing couple from Missouri was killed Tuesday evening when their Jeep slipped off Black Bear Pass and rolled more than 900 feet down a steep slope. Both were pronounced dead at the scene at 7 p.m., according to a report from the Colorado State Patrol. Westcott said the first call about the accident came into the Sheriff's Office a little after 4 p.m. from another driver on the road who had seen the Jeep roll by in his rearview mirror.

The victims of Saint Peters, Mo., slid off Black Bear Pass road while taking a left hand turn on one of the switchbacks above the top of falls at about 4:15 p.m., police said. The couple was descending the steep mountain road in a soft-top Jeep Wrangler when the accident occurred. Neither was wearing a seatbelt and both were eventually ejected from the vehicle, suffering multiple traumatic head and chest injuries, according to a report from county coroner Bob Dempsey. The Jeep came to rest, on its roof and back on the road approximately 930 feet down the hill, according to police and coroner's reports. The Jeep was "totally crushed," according to Dempsey's report
Pics look great, would love to get out there and try it on a smaller bike like my wr.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #4033
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
I sure will ThumperDRZ, I have a friend from Augusta MO that goes out there every year and rides the mountain passes out of Ouray, he rides a XR 650L and claims the KLR is to heavy for BlackBear, he also has way more experience than I do as I have only been riding dualsport for a few years. The dualsport bug bit me a few years ago when I accidentally found Bigdogs website. I thought heck Im going to try that. Now I cant get enough of it. Cant wait for the BlackBear.
dogmoon---what you said about discovering dualsport riding reminds of how things went for me----the same as you.

Over the years I was doing all kinds of riding, racing, the Harley thing, crotch rockets, single track bikes, the Beemer thing, hillclimbing, hare scrambles, enduro's, flat track---I about did everything except road race.

I was having fun--doing the only thing I ever loved------but somewhere the internet came along and I got on this guys website----- about this guy that was adventure riding---this was during dial-up-----itty bitty pictures---and I'd never heard the word adventure riding. He was riding his old airhead BMW GS----offroad---going everywhere. Who'd a thought you could travel offroad---why didn't I think of that.

Why yes----I could ride my dualsport offroad and travel---what a novel idea.

That guys website disappeared one day--can't even remember his name---but life and riding was never the same for me.

I'm like a little kid now---can't even sleep at night thinking of what to do to my bike to take me to who knows where. I wake up thinking about it--think about it while working---and go to sleep thinking about it.

Dualsport and adventure riding for me---is by far the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. I wish I had found this kind of riding 45 years ago.

Well enough of that--here's my pic of me on Black Bear Pass----going down black bear on that loose shale with death staring me in the face---I'll never forget it----I was shaking horribly----can't wait to do it again

And then I was presented with Bridal Vale Falls--I did Black Bear on a DRZ400S---the biggest and heaviest bike I'd ever want to do it on.

Sorry about the itty bitty pictures---but that's the way you did it back in dial-up days.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #4034
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
I took my Tacoma on Imogene Pass last summer, we could see Black Bear across the valley. My wife said "No Way" for Black Bear.. HA.
It's beautiful out there. Love it. Did Schofield Pass last summer on my XC, great ride, along with Mosquito, Hancock, and Tin Cup. It takes a little "adjustment" when you come back and ride MO.. Have a great trip!!
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #4035
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
I took my Tacoma on Imogene Pass last summer, we could see Black Bear across the valley. My wife said "No Way" for Black Bear.. HA.
It's beautiful out there. Love it. Did Schofield Pass last summer on my XC, great ride, along with Mosquito, Hancock, and Tin Cup. It takes a little "adjustment" when you come back and ride MO.. Have a great trip!!
Actually Black Bear just has about a 100 ft section that is bad the rest is no big deal and beautiful